Spikes - Soft or Metal ?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Smiffy, all the FJ's use the same system and I've had them in mine before. Got them in AG.

Only thing is make sure you lock them properly as they grip really well and will come out if you don't.

This happened to me once, after 18 holes I had 5 left on both shoes!!!

I bought a cheap wrench from sports world and it worked a trick.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Footjoy use the tri-lock system

I've just had a quick look on the FJ website and "tri-lock" aren't mentioned anywhere. Are you sure you don't mean "Fast twist?"
Sorry, not being arguementative, just don't want to order the wrong ones (they don't list tri-lock on the Stingers website either)...Rob

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Footjoy use the tri-lock system

I've just had a quick look on the FJ website and "tri-lock" aren't mentioned anywhere. Are you sure you don't mean "Fast twist?"
Sorry, not being arguementative, just don't want to order the wrong ones (they don't list tri-lock on the Stingers website either)...Rob

Follow this link that Parmo originaly posted and just below the advet it states which shoes use which systems.

It says footjoy use tri-lok (spelt wrong in my first post)

http://www.golfonline.co.uk/champ-pro-stinger-spikes-tour-metal-cleats-p-2270.html

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
I use the pro stingers in my shoes as well, will use them all winter. Far safer on any slope when its wet or frosty. Black Widows clog up with grass and ice to easily and offer no grip at all.
I've bought my first pair of Nikes, so got the pro stingers as well. Have persevered with them just to see what they are like, still prefer spikes, but the stingers aren;t bad. Black widows are rubbish, no grip when there's any moisture, and clog up between every shot.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are a number of arguments against metal spikes, most of them unfounded and the rest, no more than a means of promoting new style golf shoes with plastics.

Myself, I prefer spikes all the time with certain shoe makes, I am happy with plastics in the summer time but if I could play in metal spikes I would.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I started playing again last year I had to ask if they were allowed on all courses cos I thought the plastic spikes would damage the greens

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I started playing again last year I had to ask if they were allowed on all courses cos I thought the plastic spikes would damage the greens

Tell you what Vig, I have witnessed more damage to greens by the plastics than I have spikes. :(

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love the review they were given, obviously a big fan.

"The advert is a little misleading as it fails to mention that you will look and feel like a total cock whilst wearing them !!! Apart from that, what a great idea.....might buy some to go clubbing on a Friday night"

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of people recomment using traditional metal spikes in the Autumn & winter. I've meant to fit a pair for just this time of year, but never yet seemed to have gotten around to it.

Thing is the main problem with the soft spikes most of us use 12 months of the year is the amount of thatch the shoes pick up in the soft spikes. Some brands of soft spikes are better than others at either reducing thatch, or being able to clean thath from the soft spikes.

I really do think there is a lot of re-design work left to be done to get a soft spike that works as well as the old metal variety on bad ground, yet doesn't slip around on concrete like metal does. As this is perhaps where soft spikes excel. Is in being able to go to all sorts of surfaces & not just grass.