Spikes - Soft or Metal ?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just been reading a post elsewhere, and it made me think .......

I know a lot of Clubs have a 'soft spikes' only rule these days, but my own doesnt, as yet.

So, given the choice, I still much prefer traditional Metal Spikes, better grip, and dont clog up anywhere near as much too.
In anything other than completely dry, I just find Soft spikes a bit of a pain......

What's other peeps thoughts ?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never tried metal spikes as I have never needed to. I get sufficient grip with my stingers on two pairs of shoes and black widows on the other pair.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the pro stinger which is a spiked middle and three cleats around the edge. I love them as I get the best of both worlds and have found them really good in the frosty conditions as they don't get too compacted with excess ice as you walk.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Soft but only through laziness in not changing them to metal - it's a bit like the ice thing, only really makes a difference on new USGA greens....

Soft spikes and any kind of slope/moisture arrangement are a deadly cominbation - ask murph....

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I slipped on a rubber mat, pro was offering metals for £5 (i think) fitted, got one set changed and I really do think they are fantastic.
Don't clog up, supernormal grip however, I have seen a few people drag their feet on greens and they do make a mess then.

I think the plastic will go back in for the summer as the hard ground would be less comfortable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use the stinger in the winter and change to black widow softspikes from about March onwards. When I started it was either spikes or those horrible pimple bottomed shoes and so I was taught from a very early age to be aware of picking my feet up on the greens particularly around the holes.

As an example of the difference as sammmebee pointed out I opted for soft spikes at Temple not knowing their policy and so playing safe and I slipped walking down the slope between the 17th green and 18th tee. I have been wearing pro stingers for years and on some very hilly tracks and never looked like taking a tumble.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't find them a problem. I think because the pro stinger is a spike/cleat combo the weight is a bit more evenly distributed through the cleat. I don't have a problem on mats either slipping or getting the spike caught. Again walking on paths isn't too bad. I have a set of spikes only in my Hi-Tec (q-lock thread) and they feel completely different playing and walking

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If it is for the yanks, why don't they come in a check pattern?

I normally change to metal for the winter, but haven't bothered this year. After playing at minus 5 twice this weekend I am going to give golf a miss for a few weeks, til we get back on the greens. I don't think I will miss it.

My view on soft spikes is they were designed for use in Florida, not the UK. In Fl, it is dry, so they don't clog, and you don't walk down slopes, you drive. They are fine on the green.

In the UK, they are useless in the wet, useless during the spring with wet grass cuttings, useless in frost, useless in mud, useless on slopes, and particularly useless on railway sleeper bridges.

The only down side to metal is, don't knock the ice off them with a £200 Scotty. Not good.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the Soft Spikes and they are really good. However they do hold onto grass like there is no tommorow and its a real test not to lose your temper with them when using the air gun to clean them after a round, because the grass just stays put. But I am going to change to the Spike/Cleat combo as they sound really good.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I am the same as Homer with the pro stinger's on my Stuburts but I have cleats on my Dry Pods.

As a side, as I use soft spikes. What are metal spikes like on tempory (sp) tees (mats)?

My track has mostly mats in winter and three perm mats so you play them twice 6 out of 18 in summer and 16 in winter and spikes are useless on them as I found out on Saturday.

I find I get all the grip I need with the cleats and I feel safer walking on concrete with them.

Though there is a debate on the damage metal spikes create on greens, I myself have the odd time wearing them found be mistake I dragged a foot and it scuffed the green.

I have metal spikes in my winter shoes, and soft spikes in my summer ones.

Never seen these pro stingers, I'll have to look them out.

pro_stinger_spikes.jpg

http://www.golfonline.co.uk/champ-pro-stinger-spikes-tour-metal-cleats-p-2270.html

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
I moved to metal spikes for the winter, so much better on all counts.

Interestingly, our club recently issued a notice stating that a member had slipped and broken her leg on the course and that 'members may like' to consider using metal spikes through the winter as a means of enabling extra grip.

I'm sure that whilst this is to help the members the main reason is to avoid any liability for injury. Can't blame them for doing that though.

John.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smiffy, all the FJ's use the same system and I've had them in mine before. Got them in AG.

Only thing is make sure you lock them properly as they grip really well and will come out if you don't.