Spikeless Golf Shoes - Help/Advice

Sekiro

Visit site
Hey,

After the last few days of less than ideal weather it’s become apparent that normal sneakers aren’t going to cut it and I’m going to need some golf specific shoes. I’ve had a little browse online and I feel the versatility of Spikeless makes them the best choice but don’t really know where things stand when it comes to the good, the bad and the ugly of golf shoes so thought I’d ask here to get some advice.

Budgets not so much of an issue (big believer of spending substantial amounts on footwear if it’s worth it) and I’m ideally after something available in a white finish.

What would people recommend?

JGolfer

Visit site
Ecco S-3, also have a pair of the bioms from them. Love their shoes, extremely comfortable, never had an issue with stands in them, or loosing any footing. Quality shoe imo

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I got Ecco Biom shoes in February. Absolutely ideal for putting on and leaving them on whether you're playing at your own course, a quick practice, away day or range session.

I was also using them on wet days just for running any errands.

I do have a pair of footjoy mid range spike shoes (which I use in the winter or really muddy weather) as well as a pair of footjoy Fury (spike / trainer type shoes) that I only use in dry weather. Rough plan is to rotate the use and they'll all last for years, but if I was forced into having only 1 pair (not as hypothetical as you might think) I'd keep the Ecco's. I wouldn't mind using them in really bad weather, but as I have the choice, I prefer not to.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play in Ecco Biom hybrids all through the winter, and swap to Ashworth Cardiffs for the summer as my Ecco's are brown and 2 black pairs and the Ashworths are white and the other pair grey,
I have no issues with grip any time of the year and wont return to spikes after 4 years spikeless.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Ecco currently on offer at Clubhouse Golf, I got some biom’s very pleased with them, check out Ecco’s webpage with regards to sizing.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Pro SL perform well I’ve been told.

I have 3 pairs of the old Nike lunar control vapor with the snowmobile inspired tread pattern. No idea why they moved away from this it’s by far the most versatile shoe I’ve ever owned. You can find the odd pair on eBay quite cheap, you’ll need to go up a size bigger than normal - at least I had to...

Sekiro

Visit site
Oh wow, didn’t expect this many replies, thanks everyone.

The Ecco Biom look a bit too “look at me” for my liking so I’d probably pass on those.

The Footjoy Superlites XP in all white look nice, modern but subtle, also considerably cheaper than some of the other offerings.

I wouldn’t have ever even thought Sketchers for golf shoes but i actually really like the look of these, both the Mojo and the V4 look good, even the V3 are nice tbh (cheap too).

Out of all the shoes listed though I think it’s going to be between the Footjoy Pro SL Carbon and the Ecco S-Three, has anyone tried both and can offer a comparison?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've had SL's and have sent many pairs back, as I have with many of the FJ range over the years!

I have Ecco Bioms and the S3's, the S3's are the best shoes I've ever owned and worn, so soft, flexible and comfortable, worth every penny.

Last edited:

Sekiro

Visit site
I've had SL's and have sent many pairs back, as I have with many of the FJ range over the years!

I have Ecco Bioms and the S3's, the S3's are the best shoes I've ever owned and worn, so soft, flexible and comfortable, worth every penny.

What is it that has resulted in the FJ’s having to be returned?

I do like the S3’s, and they seem to be really high rated from the few reviews I’ve been able to read.

sunshine

Visit site
What trainers do you like wearing, both from a comfort and style perspective?

Everyone has different shaped feet so recommendations are very personal. For example if you like Adidas trainers then you’ll like Adidas golf shoes.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What is it that has resulted in the FJ’s having to be returned?

I do like the S3’s, and they seem to be really high rated from the few reviews I’ve been able to read.

I’ve had 3 pairs of SL’s, all didn’t last 12 months, they all leaked, in not excessive wet weather, sometimes not in actual rain, just walking in wet wet grass, and I still got wet feet! The sole on 1 pair developed a fault, I’ve seen that fault reported by others on here also. They [were] very comfortabl, but I expect more than 1 season use!

I wore my S3’s in torrential rain on Wednesday, I still had excellent grip and my feet were bone dry ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Everyone has different shaped feet so recommendations are very personal. For example if you like Adidas trainers then you’ll like Adidas golf shoes.

I don’t follow this synopsis. I wear [classic] Adidas trainers, but I’ve never got on with Adidas golf shoes other than the Gripmore, which I still have. Most have leaked, most were a narrow fit so were uncomfortable as they didn’t do a wide fit. Some were poorly designed and banned as they left indentations on greens, and the list goes on!

Again I’ve had Puma trainers but can’t get into Puma golf shoes, they’re the narrowest shoes I’ve ever known!

I think the 2 styles are chalk & cheese as they are targeted and made for very different uses.

Sekiro

Visit site

I don’t really wear trainers, I’m more of a Desert/Chukka/Chelsea boot type person lol... The closest thing I’ve got is maybe these https://artisan-lab.com/shop-essential-sneakers/white or a pair of Converse hi-tops. I’m not really a fan of the “modern-day” trainer styling I guess, too garish, bulky and loud lol (god I sound old... I’m only mid-30’s lol).

I’m looking to pop into an American Golf today so will see what offerings they’ve got in stock.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Are you anywhere near Seaham? One of the guys on here highly recommends his pro there for service & price, I've bought mail order from him & not been disappointed.