spent some time in the sand yesterday

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He's my man. Love that dirty strong grip. :rofl:

Will be making a concerted effort next time out not to be falling back. Will try to angle my spine towards the target. He does hinge that club up rather quickly too and hit steep enough.

Right back to the drawing board. Playing tomorrow. With any luck I will be in a bunker or two so will have to work on this on the fly. :thup:

Will get some updated videos soon. Ta :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Latest bunker video.

Hitting loads of better shots these days. at set up I have to get the feeling that my left shoulder is lower than my right. It ''feels like that' but that isn't happening clearly in the video.

Good to see I'm not falling way back like I did in those early videos. shallow isn't the way to go.

Weight left, tip shoulders to left, splash it out.

We got a few more videos today but my mate lost them.

This is the only one I have.

[video=youtube;wq77XgWGXk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq77XgWGXk4[/video]

We played a game at each green. Loser rakes the bunker, winner collects the balls. 1 go each. Good fun.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, looks like a massive improvement in technique and result!

Nice one

I played in America in January and the bunkers were so soft, fluffy and deep you could certainly shallow-splash out, but the steep technique works a treat and I had 3 out of 4 sand saves without holing anything special.

More importantly, this will work in the wet, shallow, gritty, variable bunkers we get to contend with. All part of the game!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Certainly no expert, but after getting some advice and help on the course my thought process is the same as yours, weight on the left foot and slight lean to the left.
I feel quite confident out of bunkers now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Latest bunker video.

Hitting loads of better shots these days. at set up I have to get the feeling that my left shoulder is lower than my right. It ''feels like that' but that isn't happening clearly in the video.

Good to see I'm not falling way back like I did in those early videos. shallow isn't the way to go.

We played a game at each green. Loser rakes the bunker, winner collects the balls. 1 go each. Good fun.

couldn't you have played it out frontways???.. the lip on that is shallower than the back of most of ours;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep, looks like a massive improvement in technique and result!

Nice one

I played in America in January and the bunkers were so soft, fluffy and deep you could certainly shallow-splash out, but the steep technique works a treat and I had 3 out of 4 sand saves without holing anything special.

More importantly, this will work in the wet, shallow, gritty, variable bunkers we get to contend with. All part of the game!

Hard to know. All our bunkers have a pile of sand in them. Admittedly very heavy coarse sand. Got to give them a real thump when they are wet.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hard to know. All our bunkers have a pile of sand in them. Admittedly very heavy coarse sand. Got to give them a real thump when they are wet.

As someone who contends with all types I can assure you it's the best option! Trying to go shallow in a bunker that's so shallow you can hit the lining bounces the bounce off the lining and thins the ball into the face. If you apply enough force with the steep swing you still get some give from the lining and get it out. Similar concept to the wet sand tbf, it's the compacted underlayer that you're bouncing off, but if it's compacted sand versus steel applied with force there will only ever be one winner*.

*Wise man said. Not my words

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As someone who contends with all types I can assure you it's the best option! Trying to go shallow in a bunker that's so shallow you can hit the lining bounces the bounce off the lining and thins the ball into the face. If you apply enough force with the steep swing you still get some give from the lining and get it out. Similar concept to the wet sand tbf, it's the compacted underlayer that you're bouncing off, but if it's compacted sand versus steel applied with force there will only ever be one winner*.

*Wise man said. Not my words

My old club Lee Park had really shallow bunkers. It was a lottery at times trying to judge how much sand was under the ball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Latest bunker video.

Decent effort, and like the thump you get as the club hits the sand. Decent flight and control. Definitely looks like you're heading in the right direction with this