Speed Of Play & Raking Bunkers.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Consider individual strokeplay format.

All balls on the green, but one player in a bunker with difficult lie. Player A is nearest the hole. Very likely that bunker player will still be furthest away after bunker shot and this is what happens.

Should player A offer to rake the bunker to speed up play?

Have you ever done it? Have you seen anyone else do it?

I've done this many times as player A, but I have never seen anybody else do it.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
I do it once in a while, and a couple of the guys I play with will rake for someone just to speed things along, especially if they had a hard time getting out of the sand and looks like a battlefield.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

All balls on the green, but one player in a bunker with difficult lie. Player A is nearest the hole. Very likely that bunker player will still be furthest away after bunker shot and this is what happens.

I've done this many times as player A, but I have never seen anybody else do it.

Common practice for us ladies. Same in a stableford competition. In fact I'm not sure if I was told that's what you did when I first started to play golf. I won't do it if it's matchplay!

RichA

Visit site

Have you ever done it? Have you seen anyone else do it?

My group do this. It seems like the normal thing to do. If you're nearby, you'd at least pick up the rake and pass it to them after they've played the shot.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Why not just play ready golf. The 3 on the green can putt whilst the other is raking the bunker.
It would be courteous for the bunker player to remain still, if in the eyeline of a player putting.
Thus taking even longer to rake the bunker and so this course of action would be discourteous to him.
Player A could rake the bunker in the time that the bunker player goes to his ball, marks and cleans and prepares to putt.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It would be courteous for the bunker player to remain still, if in the eyeline of a player putting.
Thus taking even longer to rake the bunker and so this course of action would be discourteous to him.
Player A could rake the bunker in the time that the bunker player goes to his ball, marks and cleans and prepares to putt.

Or he just stand still for the 3 seconds he’s actually taking the shot. There’s enough time in 3 players pre shot routines for him to take the bunker. For me, In a competition that’s enough.

In a social round with friends, I wouldn’t care if they just raked the bunker whilst I take my shot.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Or he just stand still for the 3 seconds he’s actually taking the shot. There’s enough time in 3 players pre shot routines for him to take the bunker. For me, In a competition that’s enough.

In a social round with friends, I wouldn’t care if they just raked the bunker whilst I take my shot.
In individual strokeplay format, I would find it very distracting, if a player were raking a bunker in my eyeline while I'm preparing to putt for a birdie in handicap qualifying comp and he stops 3 seconds before I hit the ball.
I would much rather rake the bunker for him and take a suitable amount of time over my putt, after seeing the others putt, for me to benefit from seeing pace of green etc.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
And here lies the problem with golfers. This courtesy that people "damand". All this babble just drags things on. Maybe it's just me but raking a bunker directly in my eye sight isn't even an issue. It wouldn't even be on my radar. Maybe golfers should build on some mental resilience and get on with the game

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
In individual strokeplay format, I would find it very distracting, if a player were raking a bunker in my eyeline while I'm preparing to putt for a birdie in handicap qualifying comp and he stops 3 seconds before I hit the ball.
I would much rather rake the bunker for him and take a suitable amount of time over my putt, after seeing the others putt, for me to benefit from seeing pace of green etc.

That’s why I put another paragraph to seperate how I would do it in a social round.

I’ve no problem people playing how they want, but I have my view how I would do it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m pretty sure between a three ball the players can come up with the most sensible way to work between each other around a green - there is no set way just speak to each - use ready golf if you can , be respectful for the other players and just keep up with the group in front - everything doesn’t need to be over thought

Voyager EMH

Visit site
And here lies the problem with golfers. This courtesy that people "damand". All this babble just drags things on. Maybe it's just me but raking a bunker directly in my eye sight isn't even an issue. It wouldn't even be on my radar. Maybe golfers should build on some mental resilience and get on with the game
I feel that raking a bunker for another player is getting on with the game and building mental resilience as well as adding to general courtesy.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel that raking a bunker for another player is getting on with the game and building mental resilience as well as adding to general courtesy.
Like Phil said. Your overly thinking the whole process. It says alot about golf that this is even a post. Just rake the damn bunker man and get on with it. I played a work comp yesterday and one guy wanted all golfer to stand behind him whilst putting. He was swiftly told to piss off. He also got the hump on the fairways when golfers got ahead of him when he was playing his shot. Golf just breeds this stuff!!!!!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I do it occasionally if it will obviously speed up play but as Chellie indicates, I've seen it frequently among ladies groups.
I think this hits the nail on the head.
Some people find it easy to do something for someone else and it makes sense to them to do so.
Others attempt to justify not doing something for someone else, because they don't like doing so.