Specific Drill?

BushFinder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is there is specific drill to help with club rotation through the ball at impact?

I have been working on a steep back swing, then pulling the club down and trying to make impact in a simmilar way to a top spin forehand tennis shot.

I just cant seem to get the club rotation right, the club tends to rotate after I hit the ball, and Im still hittitng the ball with a slight fade.

Any advice?

Thanks
BushFinder

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Grip the club as normal then bring it up to shoulder level and swing it from shoulder to shoulder keeping it level.

you wont be able to do this right unless you rotate your arms.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have been working on a steep back swing, then pulling the club down and trying to make impact in a simmilar way to a top spin forehand tennis shot.

Do STEEP and TOP SPIN FOREHAND go together? Top spin is imparted from an up and over motion (not exactly what you want in a golf swing) whereas steep would mean a downward blow. Ideally you want to be imparting backspin on the ball for maximum lift and control.

The ONLY player I can think of who swings super steep but manages to recover it is Jim Furyk but that's only because he drops the club back down to a much more inside/normal plane on the way down. It will take some serious timing to do what he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFDRebJy8ac

nb: stop the vid at impact and note the position of his hips :eek:

BushFinder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, in my last lesson, my coach showed me a video of my swing.
It was clear that my backswing was nice and steep, however I was not pulling the club down enough, and hitting across the ball.
He put this Inflateable thing behind me and I had to bring the club down behind it, I started making good progress, but still hitting across the ball because I was rotating the club after impact, therefore still hitting fades.
On the occasion I got it right there was a gentle draw, and the ball rolled on stright after it landed.

I have hit tons of balls on the range, and still struggle to get that club rotation more the one in 30 times!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was clear that my backswing was nice and steep, however I was not pulling the club down enough, and hitting across the ball.

Nice and steep....not two words I'd put together. How steep is steep?....the steeper you are (or more upright) the more work to re-route the club into a decent place on the way down.

If you want to improve your hand action through the ball, try Leadbetter's/Faldo drill. Split your grip (so the hands are not part of the same unit), stick a tee in the end of the grip (there's a hole there already) and practice small swings from 9 - 3 o'clock. Make sure the tee is pointing directly at the ground either end of the swing and get that right hand crossing over the left through the impact area.

f.w.i.w. if you are hitting "fades" do they still start left? in which case you're still not getting in the slot.

ask away if any of this is confusing.