South and East Yorkshire golf

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Lees Hall in Sheffield deserves a mention i think , played a few years back but enjoyed it .
Styrup Hall in Doncaster is supposed to be ok although never played it myself .

NearHull

Visit site
I don’t think Wheatley has been mentioned. I enjoyed the course - pleasantly gentle opening hole. Near Doncaster.

Visit site
I live in Doncaster and would agree with the earlier suggestion of Bawtry (my local club!).

Styrrup Hall isn't bad - recently been took over and they are apparently investing quite a bit of money into the place so could be set to improve!

In addition to some of the others already mentioned I would also pick out Doncaster GC, Wheatley GC, Waterfront and for a municipal that I enjoy playing Tinsley Park in Sheffield.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Thanks for all these, very helpful

Rotherham quite a breeding ground with Jigger Thomson also. His dad Nigel is the chef there and supposedly does an enormous breakfast. Willett's old caddy Sam Haywood another great player from there

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
In terms of East Yorkshire, I enjoyed Whitby (some may categorise as Cleveland); spectacular views up and down the coast, with some fun tee shots over ravines with the beach below. Green fees more than reasonable too.

Filey GC was also an enjoyable round with a variety of cliff top and inland holes, with a friendly and hospitable clubhouse. Played in frightful winter conditions over Christmas with no temps and held up well.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lees Hall in Sheffield deserves a mention i think , played a few years back but enjoyed it .
Styrup Hall in Doncaster is supposed to be ok although never played it myself .
Is that course (Lees Hall)on the side of a hill with lots of adjacent houses and school close by?

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not played all the courses in South Yorkshire, but Thrybergh (Rotherham GC), Abbeydale and Hillsborough are well worth a visit. As of course is Lindrick, one of three Yorkshire courses to have held the Ryder Cup.

dronfield

Visit site
Is that course (Lees Hall)on the side of a hill with lots of adjacent houses and school close by?
It is quite hilly and does have housing alongside the 18th fairway and a school nearby. I was a member there for around 10 years and it's an ok course but not in the same league as the other Sheffield ones i originally mentioned.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
They’ve all had a mention above, but I have also enjoyed Bondhay, Hillsborough and Renishaw Park.

Hillsborough in particular was a really good test.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In terms of East Yorkshire, I enjoyed Whitby (some may categorise as Cleveland); spectacular views up and down the coast, with some fun tee shots over ravines with the beach below. Green fees more than reasonable too.

Filey GC was also an enjoyable round with a variety of cliff top and inland holes, with a friendly and hospitable clubhouse. Played in frightful winter conditions over Christmas with no temps and held up well.

Whitby is North Yorkshire. Never played it, but have heard it's quirky.

Filey is a lovely course. Have played it loads, always enjoyable and always in good nick. Both Scarborough courses are also very decent. The inland holes at South Cliff can get a bit claggy if it rains. Bridlington Belvedere was a bit forgettable. Flamborough Head sticks 5 miles out into the North Sea and has its own micro climate, weather seems to change every ten minutes.

NearHull

Visit site
Not played all the courses in South Yorkshire, but Thrybergh (Rotherham GC), Abbeydale and Hillsborough are well worth a visit. As of course is Lindrick, one of three Yorkshire courses to have held the Ryder Cup.

Lindrick Golf Club in Yorkshire?? I had to giggle that one - gobsmacked to find out that it is!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Lindrick Golf Club in Yorkshire?? I had to giggle that one - gobsmacked to find out that it is!
I knew Lindrick was just inside South Yorkshire, but Bondhay that is just south of Lindrick.well the Yorkshire border runs along the northern edge of the course. Its actually in Derbyshire ?. Nottinghmshire, derbys and south yours is an odd area around there. The northern tip of Notts runs as high as Rotherham and up towards Doncaster. Again the border of Nottinghamshire runs alongside the east side of Bawtry golf club.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is quite hilly and does have housing alongside the 18th fairway and a school nearby. I was a member there for around 10 years and it's an ok course but not in the same league as the other Sheffield ones i originally mentioned.
If it is the course where the 1st his a big downhiller then I played it once back in 1996. I had a massive hangover and the only hole I remember is the 1st. I was on HMS Sheffield at the time and we were visiting Sheffield on a good will visit. The ship was in Hull and I had been sampling the local pubs the night before the golf.