South and East Yorkshire golf

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Am putting together some guides and need a bit of a steer...

What are the best courses in South AND East Yorkshire? I hopefully have the obvious ones but my knowledge (outside West Yorkshire) is a bit patchy
and don't want to miss anything off. It's not a rankings so doesn't have to be in order but just anywhere that you might have played that definitely
deserves a mention

Cheers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am putting together some guides and need a bit of a steer...

What are the best courses in South AND East Yorkshire? I hopefully have the obvious ones but my knowledge (outside West Yorkshire) is a bit patchy
and don't want to miss anything off. It's not a rankings so doesn't have to be in order but just anywhere that you might have played that definitely
deserves a mention

Cheers
The coast is most obvious. Two in Scarborough, two in Bridlington, Hornsea, Filey, Withernsea
Driffield, Beverley, Kirk Ella (Hull), Cottingham (2), Brough, Cave Castle,
Many depend on the time of year and weather.

Last edited:

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The two Scarborough course are very good.
Bridlington Links (its not a links course though) and Flamborough are excellent and very tough when the wind blows, both being on the cliff top.
Beverley is a quirky course on common land with the greens roped off to keep the cattle off - definitely worth playing as its a little different from most courses.
Kirkella (Hull) and Brough are always in excellent condition as is Hessle.
Cottingham Parks is ok, with a couple of interesting holes.
Hornsea was a little underwhelming after hearing rave reviews.
And of course Ganton and Lindrick are on another level altogether!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Brilliant, thanks. If anyone is a font of knowledge on South Yorkshire courses then I'm all ears

freshcat

Hacker
Visit site
Brilliant, thanks. If anyone is a font of knowledge on South Yorkshire courses then I'm all ears
The two Scarborough course are very good.
Bridlington Links (its not a links course though) and Flamborough are excellent and very tough when the wind blows, both being on the cliff top.
Beverley is a quirky course on common land with the greens roped off to keep the cattle off - definitely worth playing as its a little different from most courses.
Kirkella (Hull) and Brough are always in excellent condition as is Hessle.
Cottingham Parks is ok, with a couple of interesting holes.
Hornsea was a little underwhelming after hearing rave reviews.
And of course Ganton and Lindrick are on another level altogether!

Sorry can't help with South Yorkshire, I agree pretty much with Whereditgo, though I do rate Hornsea. Also it is always blowing a gale at Brid Links and Flamborough, I play at the Links every week.

Two courses that are often overlooked are Far Grange at Skipsea, probably the best course in the region to learn to play golf, its short. If you can drive 200 yards you can pretty much reach every green in regulation bar 3. Yet it can still be quite challanging for a single figure player, the 17th is a very difficult par 3. The course is always well maintained.

The other is Hainsworth Park at Bransburton, pretty parkland course that gets better year on year. https://hainsworthparkgolfclub.co.uk/

Last edited:

dronfield

Visit site
Mark

I live in Sheffield and would recommend the following South Yorkshire courses;
Sheffield - Hallamshire, Dore and Totley, Hillsborough, Abbeydale and Lindrick.
Rotherham and Doncaster golf clubs are also very good.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry Mark... can't help with S Yarkshire but am rather surprised there's been no mention of either Cleveland, Yarshire's only true 'links' or Saltburn. Years since I've played the latter but am a regular at the Redcar course..... great value at £12.50 to play on Open.
EDIT - yes of course E Yarkshire.... well I suppose it still is in a way... hahaha

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I would expect Lindrick to be on any south yorkshire wish list. Ex Ryder cup venue. Yup it is on some folks bucket lists.

One other that is probably 1/2 mile south as the crow flies from Lindrick is Bondhay. Am sure it’s inches inside Nottinghamshire boundary but it’s postcode is Sheffield. If you love bunkers and trees. That’s not a bad knock

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tom

Hope this helps.

Richard

Rich have you played Renshaw, a pal invited me a few years ago but we never got around to it.

dronfield

Visit site
Rich have you played Renshaw, a pal invited me a few years ago but we never got around to it.

Tashyboy - yes i have played there a couple of times. Good front 9, but second 9 is completely different and pretty bland.
About 10 mins drive from Renishaw is Bondhay - a tough championship layout, that is very reasonably priced, but as a result does get busy, but worth a round.

Rich

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mark

Hope this helps.

Richard

I've only ever heard good things about Rotherham GC, wasn't Danny Willet something to do with the club a few years back?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Bondhay was lovely when I played it several years ago. I preferred it to Worksop.

benjo09

Visit site
Tashyboy - yes i have played there a couple of times. Good front 9, but second 9 is completely different and pretty bland.
About 10 mins drive from Renishaw is Bondhay - a tough championship layout, that is very reasonably priced, but as a result does get busy, but worth a round.

Rich

Renishaw is my closest course but I don't play there. As Dronfield says, front 9 is good with some undulation but the back 9 is bland and flat and on a flood plain so seems to be closed for a lot of the winter.

NearHull

Visit site
That's where the Westwood Trophy is played.
He moved to Rotherham after Worksop and they claimed him as theirs.
I played there a couple of time. We were told by a member that the new back tee on the 11, I think it was 11, is known as the Westwood Tee. It was cut back into the trees because he kept driving the green. Whether true or not, I liked the story.