Society card: eligibility for HC reduction

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
As the title suggests.... I played in a society day recently and I happened to play the best round I have ever played — by 1 shot!— The round was played with members from 2 other local courses and the round was played under normal competition rules, with the card being filled out and signed by my PP.

Over the last few days there has been a bit of joking etc, insinuating that the society secretary will hand the card in to my club. My question is as to whether the card ‘should’ be handed in, or if the card is actually meaningless, from a HC point of view.

At the time, I just enjoyed the moment, with little thought to whether the card had any value for a HC reduction. As the days have past, if I’m honest I would very much like to hand the card in, in order to officially record a score that, if I’m honest, may never happen again. My club pro thinks I can hand it in. I have not had time to speak to the manager.... Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not 100 sure, but i don't think you will get a reduction on that card as it stands. i believe you can return the score and your club may take it into consideration for annual review.

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
not 100 sure, but i don't think you will get a reduction on that card as it stands. i believe you can return the score and your club may take it into consideration for annual review.

Yes, that’s my understanding. I’m sure I asked this same question a few years ago. I think there is some confusion on the rumour mill, with regards to the new system and all cards counting etc.. people are jumping the gun a touch

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, that’s my understanding. I’m sure I asked this same question a few years ago. I think there is some confusion on the rumour mill, with regards to the new system and all cards counting etc.. people are jumping the gun a touch

two years too early. even then its the best 8 scores from the last 20 counting is my understanding so you still might not;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Handicaps can only be altered by the submission of qualifying scores ie in comps that qualify for handicap purposes or supplementary scores, by handicap review.

As said the club could take this in to consideration for a handicap review but should not accept for handicap purposes as no CSS was calculated for the day as it was not a qualifying competition.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Provided it was played under the normal comp rules it’s players responsibility to return the card to his home club and they will treat it as a qualifying round.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As said the club could take this in to consideration for a handicap review but should not accept for handicap purposes as no CSS was calculated for the day as it was not a qualifying competition.

SSS is sufficient in this case.

D

Deleted member 15344

Provided it was played under the normal comp rules it’s players responsibility to return the card to his home club and they will treat it as a qualifying round.

Sorry but can’t do that - it can be if the player is playing in HC Qualifying Comp at an away club and the results are through CDH

Right now any society card can be handed in but only to be used for possible evidence at the AR

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry but can’t do that - it can be if the player is playing in HC Qualifying Comp at an away club and the results are through CDH

Right now any society card can be handed in but only to be used for possible evidence at the AR
I’m not an expert but our secretary is/should be(delete as appropriate ;) and it was accepted as stated above.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m not an expert but our secretary is/should be(delete as appropriate ;) and it was accepted as stated above.

Then your secretary isn’t an expert and broke the Congu rules. Only scores submitted from Congu Offiliated organisations can be used for immediate HC adjustment

Last edited by a moderator:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What about the following then?

Do scores played in society events haveto be recorded?
If the player has played in the event using his/herCONGU handicap UNDER COMPETITION PLAYCONDITIONS, then the score must be reported.

and

With a notification of an away score, dowe have to ascertain a CSS?
No. For team competitions and individual events(such as society golf), it is not feasible to assess aCSS and, therefore, the requirement is that theSSS of the course played is recorded.

https://www.englandgolf.org/shared/get-file.ashx?id=26874&itemtype=document

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes they are sent back and then can be used as evidence at the AR but they cannot be used for any immediate HC adjustments

D

Deleted member 15344

Non Q comps at home - ie 4BBB , Matchplay etc etc not society scores.

The rules behind player HC adjustments are quite clear and society / roll up etc can’t be used for HC adjustments apart from being used as evidence during a HC review. If your secretary is adjusting people on society scores then he can only do it if the society is recognised by Congu to host Qualifying Comps anything else then he isn’t playing by the rules

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I totally concur with Liverpoolphil.
As chairman of our handicap committee (but I would not call myself an expert just someone who knows how to read and interpret the rules) I would never accept scores from a society event for immediate handicap adjustment.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
LP - thanks for all responses. Going back to the OP question it seems clear that he needs to report his score to the home club and that it may be considered for the hcp review (annual/continuous). Agreed? ;)

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It wasn't, it was a society day. If he'd intimated to his club beforehand that he was going to post a supplementary score, then he would be obligated to hand it in, good or bad. But he didn't do that

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I totally concur with Liverpoolphil.
As chairman of our handicap committee (but I would not call myself an expert just someone who knows how to read and interpret the rules) I would never accept scores from a society event for immediate handicap adjustment.

Not quite correct:

What is a Supplementary Score?
A Supplementary Score is a score returned by a player for handicapping purposes where the round is played at a time acceptable to the player’s personal circumstances and outwith the clubs fixture listed qualifying competitions.

Who can submit Supplementary Scores and are there any restrictions?
Good news, Supplementary Scores can be returned by most golfers, however there are a few things to remember…

Players in Handicap Categories 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 are eligible to submit an unlimited number of Supplementary Scores per year.

Category 1 players with a handicap of 2.5 to 5.4 can now submit up to 10 Supplementary Scores per year at any time.

Category 1 players with a handicap of 2.4 and below can only submit up to a maximum of three Supplementary Scores and can only be submitted during the period 1 September to 31 December, and only to maintain their Competition Handicap status.

I’m a member at more than one club, can I return Supplementary Scores at both my Home and Away Clubs?
Yes. Golfers (Category 2-6) can return Supplementary Scores at any club in which they are a member, however Category 1 golfers can only return Supplementary Scores at their Home Club.

What are the key conditions for submitting a Supplementary Score?
A Supplementary Score must be returned under Stroke Play conditions and can be returned from any set of tees provided that a Standard Scratch Score has been allocated for these tees by Scottish Golf.
A player can return an unlimited number of Supplementary Scores per year (Categories 2-6).
A player intending to return a Supplementary Score must notify the club before their round.