So what are you listening to at the moment?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway album by Genesis

You have excellent taste sir! Earlier this year saw the Gabriel and Genesis-licences tribute band (The Musical Box) do an immaculate note perfect re-enactment of the 1975 The Lamb tour show (I went twice 🙄). My Mrs went with me to the Portsmouth show and enjoyed it, though she mostly had no idea what was going on or what the songs were about as she’d never listened to the album. Visually stunning also with Gabriel’s costumes.

They are in rehearsal for a Spring 2024 UK tour of the 50th anniversary of Selling England…Planning to go at least twice as I love the album…Hammy Apollo and Guildford GLive.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You have excellent taste sir! Earlier this year saw the Gabriel and Genesis-licences tribute band (The Musical Box) do an immaculate note perfect re-enactment of the 1975 The Lamb tour show (I went twice 🙄). My Mrs went with me to the Portsmouth show and enjoyed it, though she mostly had no idea what was going on or what the songs were about as she’d never listened to the album. Visually stunning also with Gabriel’s costumes.

They are in rehearsal for a Spring 2024 UK tour of the 50th anniversary of Selling England…Planning to go at least twice as I love the album…Hammy Apollo and Guildford GLive.

I took Mrs H to see The Musical Box when they toured a number of years ago. She’s still traumatised. She couldn’t get her head around the costumes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sometime late 1974 early 1975 I bought 3 cassettes off a friend, Journey to the Centre etc; Burn, and The Dark Side of the Moon (First two cost me 25p each , TDSotM cost me 50p). Not a bad trio, but I loved the last the best. And so I did catch-up on Floyd, loved it all and then loved WYWH and Animals. Animals I didn’t totally get, but mostly loved it.

But there and then in 1977 I stopped. And for reasons lost in the mists of time I didn’t buy, or even listen to, The Wall…maybe I had just got tired of proggie stuff and punk was interesting and exciting - maybe I was just a skint student. Whatever.

And until today I had never listened to The Wall, at all, but I had a borrowed a new vinyl double of it. Onto the turntable it went….

Well…I doubt I’ll subject myself to these four sides ever again…a few good tracks but what a load of self-indulgent piffle.

Am I disappointed? I guess not…maybe back then in 1979, despite how much I had loved and still did (and still do) most of Floyd to that point, I had heard enough of The Wall to completely turn me off from it.

Might give it another listen later…just in case I’m wrong - but not enthused by the idea.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sometime late 1974 early 1975 I bought 3 cassettes off a friend, Journey to the Centre etc; Burn, and The Dark Side of the Moon (First two cost me 25p each , TDSotM cost me 50p). Not a bad trio, but I loved the last the best. And so I did catch-up on Floyd, loved it all and then loved WYWH and Animals. Animals I didn’t totally get, but mostly loved it.

But there and then in 1977 I stopped. And for reasons lost in the mists of time I didn’t buy, or even listen to, The Wall…maybe I had just got tired of proggie stuff and punk was interesting and exciting - maybe I was just a skint student. Whatever.

And until today I had never listened to The Wall, at all, but I had a borrowed a new vinyl double of it. Onto the turntable it went….

Well…I doubt I’ll subject myself to these four sides ever again…a few good tracks but what a load of self-indulgent piffle.

Am I disappointed? I guess not…maybe back then in 1979, despite how much I had loved and still did (and still do) most of Floyd to that point, I had heard enough of The Wall to completely turn me off from it.

Might give it another listen later…just in case I’m wrong - but not enthused by the idea.

My go to’s back then were Genesis, Supertramp and Pink Floyd. My thoughts on The Wall pretty much mirror yours. And then along came Dire Straits. Loved their first 4 albums, with Love Over Gold coming out on top. Favourite track; Private Investigation, and Telegraph Road coming a very close second.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My go to’s back then were Genesis, Supertramp and Pink Floyd. My thoughts on The Wall pretty much mirror yours. And then along came Dire Straits. Loved their first 4 albums, with Love Over Gold coming out on top. Favourite track; Private Investigation, and Telegraph Road coming a very close second.
You and me the same…and I can still remember hearing Sultans of Swing for the first time on a juke box in a Strathclyde Uni Union bar…😳 Wow. Seemed to go on for ages…well cf singles of the time it did. Wakeman‘s twiddles were clever but ‘rather’ grandiose; but I did really like Deep Purple of that era…In Rock, Burn and Machine Head. Yes I didn’t understand…at all…and I could do a bit of early 70s ELP…

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been listening to Bo Diddley a lot , had a sparky in the other day and he was interested in jukebox so I played him ‘Who do you Love’
Said he’s never heard of him…. it’s like saying you never heard of Shakespeare 😂

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

This is worth 40 minutes of anyone's time.
Album of the year contender, in a very strong year.
Listened to first minute and it sounds just the sort of thing I enjoy so will def give it a full listen. A bit like The Flaming Lips perhaps? (mind you that’s after all of 1min…🙄)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Misses is away for a long weekend so I’m having a night listening to jukebox,put Teenage Kicks on tonight, lot of old classics also Never Can Tell , Chuck Berry Wonderous Place Billy Fury, All or Nothing , Small Faces, Ain’t that a Shame , Fats DominoIMG_1517.jpeg

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
This man is off the charts.
Watch his foot-cam, magnificent performance, and all that is going on whilst his arms are doing what they are doing.
Ridiculous foot speed, ridiculous hand speed.
How does his brain compartmentalise all these things so that they can be done individually, yet all at the same time?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This man is off the charts.
Watch his foot-cam, magnificent performance, and all that is going on whilst his arms are doing what they are doing.
Ridiculous foot speed, ridiculous hand speed.
How does his brain compartmentalise all these things so that they can be done individually, yet all at the same time?

Brilliant amazing how he can get all four limbs working so fast , enjoyed that👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was recently given a pile of vinyl…in amongst it were Kiss Live (double) and a Motley Cru album both from 80s I think. Never fancied them at all at the time, but thought I’d give them a listen as I know my taste has become more all-encompassing as the years have gone on (as they most certainly have).

But no. No, No, No. Not at all for me - even just after the opening track on each. Never much like getting rid of vinyl but I can’t see either these two albums ever again spinning on my turntable and they take up valuable space.

Or maybe I should give them more of a chance?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
After showing a couple of links for Tommy Emmanuel on the top 250 guitarists thread he wasn't included in, I carried on watching.

Obviously not 250 candidate..

A bit of Hendrix next..

Great percussionist too..

Last one - never seen this before and he says why he likes to plays still - he makes people happy.

Last edited: