Snatching

pitchperfect

Hacker
Visit site
Hi.

It's amazing. When I'm practicing my swing in my back garden, my action is smooth and rhythmic, everything moves in unison, and I always strike the same piece of grass. However, when I'm standing over a golf ball I tend to snatch at the ball, as though I'm trying too hard to hit the ball as opposed to catching it on the way through. Sometimes this tension in my swing is so bad I actually completely miss the ball and swipe at the fresh air immediately above the ball. Embarrasing, as you might imagine.

Has anyone got any tips on how I might cure this swing affliction?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
As you've read elsewhere. I'm no expert. But what I have been told is to swing two clubs as a warm up. The extra weight helps reduce your swing speed and therefore any tendancy to snatch. If you do try and snatch with two clubs in your mitts, chances are you'll do yourself an injury.

Alternatively try a weighted swing trainer.

I dearly hope that I'm not wrong, as this is what I do in the garden.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a weighted swing trainer. I snatch. :mad:
I always have to remind myself.... Big wide swing, smooth transition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice is to get a pre-shot routine on the practice ground/range and then use it on the course. Hit a buket of balls and go through the pre-shot routine and address on every shot as though it was real. Then once you get onto the course stick with it and focus on all the good shots you've hit in practice.

One other tip I find helps if I get tense is to get my address set up and then to waggle the club just before I hit so I'm not forzen and my swing is much smoother.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
try breathing throughout the swing.
a good chance that in the garden you're relaxed and breathing easily. get on the course and you take a big lungful on the backswing then hold your breath until you're into the follow through.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If anyting it controls the speed speed and not you. It's a very weird feeling.

Yeah, man. I was gonna say that, tooooo.

If you concentrate on reaching a nice balanced followthrough position, and just forget about the ball as you swing to your end position, the ball will just get in the way.

Hopefully.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's a good tip, Pitchperfect. It's one I use because I've been guilty of casting at the ball at the top of the swing. My pro gave me a drill for it.

At the top of the swing you'll have a certain distance between your right shoulder and the shaft. Try to maintain this same distance for as long as you can through the ball. Try it in slow motion first to get the feeling and then just swing at full speed. You'll end up just collecting the ball on the way thru the swing rather than hitting at the ball.

To promote the feeling stand with your hands split at address, i.e. your left hand on the grip as normal but your right hand down towards the steel of the shaft. Swing back and you'll be in a great position. Then on the way down maintain that position. Your shoulders will be leading the club in.