Slow Play - Not worth a punch in the face?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If golf takes too long at 4 to 4 and half hours, why not play 9 holes and toddle off home

I do this, bar a handful of rare occasions I play 18.

After my 9 I am usually home for breakfast on a Sunday morning, I get my golf fix and still have all the time my family need me for.

I feel I can only play 18 if I have nowhere else to be once I set off for the course. Driving there, changing, warming up, playing, changing, a drink and then driving home takes up a huge chunk of time.

A few precious weeks mid summer do allow post work golf but 18 is always a stretch and unless the way ahead is clear 18 is impossible.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The ‘victim’ is not without blame here too. Not once in the article did it state the pensioner (side note; saying someone is a pensioner evokes sympathy from the reader yet we know nothing of the actual physical status of the person. It biases the reader rightly or wrongly) made any effort to discuss the slow play issue. Instead he made comments throughout the round to antagonise the slow player. You nip away at someone it might just be the wrong someone.

Not saying this absolves the guy who punched him. He shouldn’t have resorted to that. Just that it wasn’t an entirely unprovoked episode.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The ‘victim’ is not without blame here too. Not once in the article did it state the pensioner (side note; saying someone is a pensioner evokes sympathy from the reader yet we know nothing of the actual physical status of the person. It biases the reader rightly or wrongly) made any effort to discuss the slow play issue. Instead he made comments throughout the round to antagonise the slow player. You nip away at someone it might just be the wrong someone.

Not saying this absolves the guy who punched him. He shouldn’t have resorted to that. Just that it wasn’t an entirely unprovoked episode.

I agree with a lot of this, when you say pensioner you immediately conjure up images of a frail old man, white hair, cardigan. My dad is 73 he plays cricket twice a week (wicket keeper), golf once a week, and hikes on Dartmoor at least once a week. He is fitter than most people half his age.

Of course violence is never acceptable and the guy is always in the wrong. But the report states that the victim made numerous audible comments about slow play, so this isn't just being annoyed this is deliberately saying things (presumably not constructive) to annoy the people in front into letting them through.

Of course punching someone is never the answer, but the mitigation, and the magistrate seems to have agreed that he was provoked for over an hour.

I am a quick player, I don't rush around, just happen to be quick, and I get really frustrated being stuck behind slow people, I will usually wait to be asked through, if they don't, then I ask to play through, if they refuse, then I will cut across to another hole, or replay some holes to avoid them.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with a lot of this, when you say pensioner you immediately conjure up images of a frail old man, white hair, cardigan. My dad is 73 he plays cricket twice a week (wicket keeper), golf once a week, and hikes on Dartmoor at least once a week. He is fitter than most people half his age.
He is a little younger than Schwarzenegger and Stallone, both probably could take and give a punch to and from many/all of us here.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

Of course violence is never acceptable and the guy is always in the wrong. But the report states that the victim made numerous audible comments about slow play, so this isn't just being annoyed this is deliberately saying things (presumably not constructive) to annoy the people in front into letting them through.

Of course punching someone is never the answer, but the mitigation, and the magistrate seems to have agreed that he was provoked for over an hour.

I am a quick player, I don't rush around, just happen to be quick, and I get really frustrated being stuck behind slow people, I will usually wait to be asked through, if they don't, then I ask to play through, if they refuse, then I will cut across to another hole, or replay some holes to avoid them.
This is normally the main problem, you have block of about say 6 groups unrelated all playing to the same speed say 4 to 4:30 round, and one group behinds wants to play 3:45 or quicker, each of the 6 groups have a steady speed with no waiting or gaps, if the 3:45 group have no patience there is normally a bad atmosphere and some get hot under the collar. Although if there is clear gaps there is no excuse to let a quicker group through.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I remember playing in a fourball at Copthorne one day.
Four old boys had teed off the 1st. (par 4). By the time we were ready to play, (one of our fourball was late), they had cleared the green and were across the main road on their way to the 2nd.
We finished the hole, managed to get across the busy main road and found they were still faffing around by the green.
By the time we got to the 3rd, (long(ish) par 3), they hadn't even reached the green, just strolling around chatting to each other.
They were still teeing off the 4th by the time we had finished and we hoped that they were going to invite us through. Needless to say, they didn't.
It took us an absolute age to play the 4th, and same scenario on the 5th tee. Only two of them had teed off.
I asked them nicely if we could play through as were were obviously a lot quicker than them and the course was completely clear in front of them. My request was met with a tirade of abuse, mostly along the lines that we were not members, only green fee payers, and therefore had no standing on the course.
A few choice words were exchanged, it was all getting out of hand, but by the time they got to their second shots they had obviously discussed things between themselves and grudgingly waved us through.
You now had eight angry players. Whilst not condoning what this guy did in any way, shape or form, you can easily see how things can spill over.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I gave up golf 4 years ago because of slow play.
The OAP's were generally quite quick it was the younger overweight lycra clad posers with their electric trollies and various forms of 'apps' who were generally to blame.
i was thinking that at my place it more tends to be the ‘gottlethegear’ guys— exacerbated if they have delusions of golfing grandeur usually well exceeding their ability.

Anyway - over the winter and lockdowns we’ve taken the opportunity to clear out a lot of ground rubbish and bushery from places we could easily find ourselves and where we lose balls or take time hunting for etc...but where we still had difficult recovery shots once found - mostly under mature trees. Now we are more likely to find ball quickly but will still have the difficult recovery. So course looks tidier and nicer - mature trees stand out more - and play should be speeded up by less hunting for balls.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think around the 4:15 time is about right and I bet that's not far off the average 4 ball time
shirley it depends on the Course? if you are taking more than 4 hours on a course thats under 6000 yards, way too long, but Spey valley or Trump Aberdeen FI off the back tee's 4 hours would be about right. Even a slow round at Nairn iin a medal is 3 and a half, thats 6500

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Do find it amusing when people get so worked up about how long a round should take.

If someone's faster, will let them play through. (unless they were giving me grief like the OAP may have been.) I'm out for an afternoon with my friends to hit some shots.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair playing Ferndown Forest would make me want to do a lot more than just punch someone...

I went on a golf trip with some mates and we played there last day just to keep costs down

My mate emailed to book the buggies thought be polite and say looking forward to playing tour course

The pro emailed back saying I think you have us confused with ferndown golf club

?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, but unless we own our own golf course, we are all sharing and have a responsibility to each other.

The game has been played for well over 100 years, the acceptable pace of play window is part of the fabric of the game.

As long as you let people play through, you're fine. What I'm doing should affect you as little as possible. Everyone plays at different pace, It's obvious.

I won't play after a senior medal, but I'm not going to complain about it or get worked up.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember playing in a fourball at Copthorne one day.
Four old boys had teed off the 1st. (par 4). By the time we were ready to play, (one of our fourball was late), they had cleared the green and were across the main road on their way to the 2nd.
We finished the hole, managed to get across the busy main road and found they were still faffing around by the green.
By the time we got to the 3rd, (long(ish) par 3), they hadn't even reached the green, just strolling around chatting to each other.
They were still teeing off the 4th by the time we had finished and we hoped that they were going to invite us through. Needless to say, they didn't.
It took us an absolute age to play the 4th, and same scenario on the 5th tee. Only two of them had teed off.
I asked them nicely if we could play through as were were obviously a lot quicker than them and the course was completely clear in front of them. My request was met with a tirade of abuse, mostly along the lines that we were not members, only green fee payers, and therefore had no standing on the course.
A few choice words were exchanged, it was all getting out of hand, but by the time they got to their second shots they had obviously discussed things between themselves and grudgingly waved us through.
You now had eight angry players. Whilst not condoning what this guy did in any way, shape or form, you can easily see how things can spill over.

Had it recently at my own club, 3 ball (us) behind another 3

We kept catching them front 9 nothing happened .. back 9 just 2 of us carried on. 3 tee boxes we got there and they just walked off. Even tho clearly right group behind is now next to u let them through

By the 14th I asked to play through which they took offence but let us

By hole 16 they were a whole hole behind and finished 45 mins behind us

Took a note his name off the booking sheet and booked in front of him for the following week

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Unless you have some inside insight or followed the case closely, isn’t that just speculation?

In all likelihood there is some truth in what you say, but I don’t like the victim blaming as a way of excusing in any way the crime of the offender. There’s just no excuse at all for hitting someone on a golf course.

TigerBear

Visit site
I played our front nine as a single this morning in about 1hour 15mins, could have played quicker but next tee time was half an hour after me - two guys, who must have been at least late 60s and more probably 70s - they caught up at least a hole on me - I reckon they'd have played front nine in an hour and I've seen them and other old boys play that quick before in the early morning at our place.

Bloody hell, are you sure they were putting? :D