Slow play Hurts Your Scoring

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else how fast or slow they should play.
The only way this can be resolved in my opinion is for the sprinters to go out first and the more deliberate players out last.
Never the twain shall meet
Good luck getting anyone to admit they are in the deliberate category.
Some golfers have skin like rhinos and just won’t listen when you tell them 4 45 mins is to long.
Also some sprinters won’t get up early.
Only the club can sort this out !
Maybe a two shot penalty for every 10 mins over four hours.:eek:

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I’d hope it was less than 50% of the forum! Everyone at our club concerned about slow play but my round today was around 3hrs 10 which for 4 ball was good, and about normal maybe up to 3 1/2 is fairly standard. I do go out early though and it’s possible those of us that want to get around quickly play earlier

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have thought the sprinters would like to be out first and the slower players would prefer not to be pushed all the way round.
The sprinters don't get held up... happy
the slow players play as slowly as the want... happy
Win win

Also some sprinters won’t get up early.

If they know they will get round in 3 hours, I'll bet they will.

Maybe a two shot penalty for every 10 mins over four hours.:eek:

Why 4 hours, why not 3 1/2 or 4 1/2.
Who decides?

I do go out early though and it’s possible those of us that want to get around quickly play earlier

My point exactly.

Don't they do the same in marathon races?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought the sprinters would like to be out first and the slower players would prefer not to be pushed all the way round.
The sprinters don't get held up... happy
the slow players play as slowly as the want... happy
Win win

If they know they will get round in 3 hours, I'll bet they will.

Why 4 hours, why not 3 1/2 or 4 1/2.
Who decides?

My point exactly.

Don't they do the same in marathon races?
The average age at our place and the hilly nature of the course means anything sub four hours is highly unlikley.
But see where your coming from.
In the USA they have “Speedy times” early morning and your expected to get around in set times.
Maybe we need a minister for slow play

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The average age at our place and the hilly nature of the course means anything sub four hours is highly unlikley.
But see where your coming from.
In the USA they have “Speedy times” early morning and your expected to get around in set times.
Maybe we need a minister for slow play

I think each club has its sprinters and dawdlers but are there really that many?
I would say most members aren't that fussed how long the round takes, they're just pleased to be out of the house.
I'd suggest to mark the competition sheet....
I'd say the first 3 t-times in a comp will be expected to go round in under 3hrs 15mins and the last 3 times will not be expected to be under 4hrs 30 mins.
If a dawdler decides he wants to go out early, he/she will have a most unpleasant round, likewise a sprinter going out last. They will soon find their level.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else how fast or slow they should play.
I agree if the people who play slow acknowledge this and let people through. But I haven't met a person yet that admits to being slow ?‍♂️

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree if the people who play slow acknowledge this and let people through. But I haven't met a person yet that admits to being slow ?‍♂️

They may not admit it themselves but every club knows who the slow players are.
Stick a slow player out at 07.30 with 3 sprinters and they will soon know.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The major issue with all of this is that slow is a fundamentally subjective term. And also has a negative connotation when attributed to golf. Human nature means a % of people will struggle to assign that label to themselves, thereby rendering the whole issue of how to solve it that much harder.
However, if someone expects me to go round with them in a fourball in 3 hours 15 minutes, then they can jog right on! Which they probably do if playing golf that quickly!
Equally though, I'm not looking to spend 5 hours on a course with anyone either!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The major issue with all of this is that slow is a fundamentally subjective term.

Thats correct, and I think while people use the term a lot, what they are more describing, and what is frustrating to some, is not the absolute time it takes to play a round. If people are playing without feeling delayed by others, whether their round is 3.5 hours or 4.5 hours is by the way. What they regard as slow play is anything that makes them wait. Looking on in frustration at the players down the fairway or on the green, while they sit waiting to hit. Or looking at a player do aim point, or spend time with a laser only to trundle the ball 20 yards or leave the putt half way to the hole. TV golf is to blame for a lot of it. Some are of an older school who learnt to play golf at a certain pace and in a certain way. Others have absorbed many of the mannerisms and deliberate actions of professionals. Even though they play off 24. To the stand-up-and-hit it player, this does look like a waste of time, and he brands the player plumb bobing as a slow player. Even if it only adds up to 15 or 20 minutes of a longer round. Its not really that big a deal in the greater scheme of the time one invests in golf. It is this subjective view of others (needlessly in the mind of the judger) taking too much time and delaying them that they label slow play.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think each club has its sprinters and dawdlers but are there really that many?
I would say most members aren't that fussed how long the round takes, they're just pleased to be out of the house.
I'd suggest to mark the competition sheet....
I'd say the first 3 t-times in a comp will be expected to go round in under 3hrs 15mins and the last 3 times will not be expected to be under 4hrs 30 mins.
If a dawdler decides he wants to go out early, he/she will have a most unpleasant round, likewise a sprinter going out last. They will soon find their level.
Yes I agree but in my experience it’s the very slow game right in the middle of the field that is always a problem.
We had one game last year in a comp lost three holes and never let anyone through.
That’s just not on.

D

Deleted member 25172

A few months back I drew the short straw and found myself in a 4-ball which had the slowest player I’ve ever played with. Early thirties, 15-16 handicapper. Walking with the pace of a sloth. Painfully long pre-shot routine. He easily added on 20-25 minute alone to the round.

In the end I started to time him. It took him 2min 50sec to get the ball in the hole from 10ft on our 16th. I was about to explode but managed to compose myself.

Never again.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
They may not admit it themselves but every club knows who the slow players are.
Stick a slow player out at 07.30 with 3 sprinters and they will soon know.
Me and my friend play in sub 2 ¹/² hours and always get first tee off the day. Old boy asked if he could join us. "yeh no problem but we don't mess around". On the 3rd hole he said "I'm going to drop back boys. You're going to kill me". ????.
We actually slowed to a slower place and he was more comfortable. Funny though

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Thats correct, and I think while people use the term a lot, what they are more describing, and what is frustrating to some, is not the absolute time it takes to play a round. If people are playing without feeling delayed by others, whether their round is 3.5 hours or 4.5 hours is by the way. What they regard as slow play is anything that makes them wait. Looking on in frustration at the players down the fairway or on the green, while they sit waiting to hit. Or looking at a player do aim point, or spend time with a laser only to trundle the ball 20 yards or leave the putt half way to the hole. TV golf is to blame for a lot of it. Some are of an older school who learnt to play golf at a certain pace and in a certain way. Others have absorbed many of the mannerisms and deliberate actions of professionals. Even though they play off 24. To the stand-up-and-hit it player, this does look like a waste of time, and he brands the player plumb bobing as a slow player. Even if it only adds up to 15 or 20 minutes of a longer round. Its not really that big a deal in the greater scheme of the time one invests in golf. It is this subjective view of others (needlessly in the mind of the judger) taking too much time and delaying them that they label slow play.

Slow is slow, it's not subjective, there's a clock that tells you the time. Pretty simple really

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember being second group out at la manga. The first group where holding us up. They had two warnings from the Marshall. By the 5th hole they was told to pick up and make their way to the 8th hole (where they should be). I liked that each tee box had a sign saying what time you should be there for.

greenone

Visit site
All I know is that if I have to wait to play shots I may as well walk in. I want to be able to walk up to my ball and play the shot . We had a 4 hour round recently and words were exchanged with the group in front of us in the carpark as they were 3 holes behind the group infront of them. I was told we weren't let through as we were over 180 yds behind them. My response was that's a soft 6 iron.

Last edited: