Slow Play - Call The Cops

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Yeah, I just read that as well. But I must say that I am a bit sceptical about the whole "evil old white men coming down on black women" thing. I don't think it had much to do with gender or race. Just with overreaction to slow play.

For one thing, there were five of them playing together (as a fiveball, I assume). Now, I know that there are courses in America that allow this, but it is going to make your group very very slow. And at my place, a mob of angry members would come down on you like furies if you tried. Then it says they were keeping up with the group in front (on the second hole), but they skipped the third as to make up pace. So, if you are keeping up with the group in front, how do you skip a hole? I think they probably were going a whole lot slower than they want to admit. Don't know why the cops were needed to throw them off the course, though. Marshall should have been able to do it. End of story.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yeah, I just read that as well. But I must say that I am a bit sceptical about the whole "evil old white men coming down on black women" thing. I don't think it had much to do with gender or race. Just with overreaction to slow play.

For one thing, there were five of them playing together (as a fiveball, I assume). Now, I know that there are courses in America that allow this, but it is going to make your group very very slow. And at my place, a mob of angry members would come down on you like furies if you tried. Then it says they were keeping up with the group in front (on the second hole), but they skipped the third as to make up pace. So, if you are keeping up with the group in front, how do you skip a hole? I think they probably were going a whole lot slower than they want to admit. Don't know why the cops were needed to throw them off the course, though. Marshall should have been able to do it. End of story.
I took the skipping to the 3rd as the discussion would of slowed them down and then when they were confronted at the half way hut there were only 2 of them as the other 3 had walked in, why ask 2 to leave for slow play if they hadn’t played any holes as a 2 ball and the group behind them were still sat drinking.
The wife of the owner then phones to apologise the next day, maybe it was the male ego causing the problem?
Cops were called when they “apparently” refused to leave.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm just trying to comprehend what kind of response you'd get from the police in the UK if you asked them to come to ask some slow golfers to leave your course. I suspect half the answer would be "off".

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This has been doing the social media rounds and many have latched onto a racist/sexist element to the story. I didn't read it like that, although in the US perhaps there was that side bubbling away but the fact the group refused to leave the course was the main problem. I wondered if they skipped the third to try and find some peace so they could be allowed to get on with their game

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Media will always portray things for coverage but I think it’s safe to say these things are race related and that America feels quite divided still. A bit like the Starbucks incident (not to mention the issues with police shootings) excess force/action was taken and you don’t see this type of incident particularly on white people.

D

Deleted member 16999

This has been doing the social media rounds and many have latched onto a racist/sexist element to the story. I didn't read it like that, although in the US perhaps there was that side bubbling away but the fact the group refused to leave the course was the main problem. I wondered if they skipped the third to try and find some peace so they could be allowed to get on with their game
The group didn’t refuse to leave the course, the 2 that were still at the course break hut at the 9th did, 3 had decided for themselves to leave.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm just trying to comprehend what kind of response you'd get from the police in the UK if you asked them to come to ask some slow golfers to leave your course. I suspect half the answer would be "off".

Its called trespassing. I would imagine they would treat it like any other report of trespassing.