Slope rating.

Ssshank

Visit site
It would be impossible to rate courses for all the potential variations of golfers. Two 20+ cappers in my group can hit the ball 300 yards. In what direction? We never know.

There lies the problem with rating golf courses as not all scratch players are the same.

Also, it is agreed that the average male golfer has a swing speed of 93 mph, distance can vary greatly between those of the same speed due to poor technique.

The scratch golfer will have pretty good control of their swing and be on average 10mph faster, which should put them beyond 250 as an average.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There lies the problem with rating golf courses as not all scratch players are the same.
Also, it is agreed that the average male golfer has a swing speed of 93 mph, distance can vary greatly between those of the same speed due to poor technique.
The scratch golfer will have pretty good control of their swing and be on average 10mph faster, which should put them beyond 250 as an average.
Re the bold bit: Courses have been rated (either by Slope or SSS) for a long time! My observation is that Slope CR and SSS appear to be pretty similar numbers (albeit CR has 1 decimal place) for the courses I've looked at.
Re the italics bit: This document (https://swingmangolf.com/average-golf-swing-speed-chart-2/), confirmns your 93 mph swing speed stat, but has a subsequent chart refutes your 'beyond 250 as an average' assertion (at least for the '0 - 5' range). Even the LPGA (likely pretty centred striking) SS of 94 only gives 246 yard average!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Up to a point the ratings allow for that. The distance from where the ball is presumed to finish to nearby 'obstacles' (bunker nests, water, trees etc) is built in to the assessment. Further, the player must be able to carry an obstacle by some distance for it to be 'ignored'. So as an average of over 250 includes half of the shots being less than 250 does the player lay up and have a more difficult or unreachable next shot to the green?

And of course, not all bogey players are anywhere nearly the same :( Which is why I would love Jacko to come up with a better system o_O

Ssshank

Visit site
Re the bold bit: Courses have been rated (either by Slope or SSS) for a long time! My observation is that Slope CR and SSS appear to be pretty similar numbers (albeit CR has 1 decimal place) for the courses I've looked at.
Re the italics bit: This document (https://swingmangolf.com/average-golf-swing-speed-chart-2/), confirmns your 93 mph swing speed stat, but has a subsequent chart refutes your 'beyond 250 as an average' assertion (at least for the '0 - 5' range). Even the LPGA (likely pretty centred striking) SS of 94 only gives 246 yard average!

Interesting, I'm not sure I subscribe to the new system as based on course I've played in tournament conditions there slopes seem way off. However, I suppose no system can be perfect.

Surely that contradicts their findings if LPGA players are producing those figures with such a low SS. To get to scratch you should be hitting it out the middle more often than not along with pretty good spin and plane control.

Ssshank

Visit site
Up to a point the ratings allow for that. The distance from where the ball is presumed to finish to nearby 'obstacles' (bunker nests, water, trees etc) is built in to the assessment. Further, the player must be able to carry an obstacle by some distance for it to be 'ignored'. So as an average of over 250 includes half of the shots being less than 250 does the player lay up and have a more difficult or unreachable next shot to the green?

And of course, not all bogey players are anywhere nearly the same :( Which is why I would love Jacko to come up with a better system o_O

No system is perfect, I just question how they've produced the slopes they have. As some seem crazy based on how difficult/easy I've found a course.

I can only assume that one of the metrics is more heavily weighted, which seems to be the distance which is misleading.

Surely it is a calculated risk which is heavily dependent on the hole being played, more often than not it is worth getting as far down as possible.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No system is perfect, I just question how they've produced the slopes they have. As some seem crazy based on how difficult/easy I've found a course.

I can only assume that one of the metrics is more heavily weighted, which seems to be the distance which is misleading.

Surely it is a calculated risk which is heavily dependent on the hole being played, more often than not it is worth getting as far down as possible.

I think it will only play out once we get back out and travel to other courses and see how the handicap travels or doesn't especially on courses where you've played close to or beaten handicap before (subject to playing to a similar standard of course

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting, I'm not sure I subscribe to the new system as based on course I've played in tournament conditions there slopes seem way off. However, I suppose no system can be perfect.
How many times did you play that course 'in tournament conditions'? And what was your (congu) Handicap (range) at the time? And can you remenber what CSS was?
I'd certainly not 'damn' any new system on a single 'instance'! and that particularly applies to Links courses imo, as (again, imo) there doesn't seem to have been sufficient weight applied to the wind factor.

Remember, Slope is about the relative difficulty of a course - for a Bogey golfer compared to a Scratch one - not the difficulty for a Scratch (actual or near) player! That's CR (SSS in 'old money')!

Ssshank

Visit site
How many times did you play that course 'in tournament conditions'? And what was your (congu) Handicap (range) at the time? And can you remenber what CSS was?
I'd certainly not 'damn' any new system on a single 'instance'! and that particularly applies to Links courses imo, as (again, imo) there doesn't seem to have been sufficient weight applied to the wind factor.

Remember, Slope is about the relative difficulty of a course - for a Bogey golfer compared to a Scratch one - not the difficulty for a Scratch (actual or near) player! That's CR (SSS in 'old money')!

10 rounds last year, handicap range was 1.6 - 4.2.

Can't recall the CSS as it will no longer allow me to view it as the database has changed over to the WHS system.

Of those 10 rounds, I matched or beat my handicap 9 times.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
10 rounds last year, handicap range was 1.6 - 4.2.

Can't recall the CSS as it will no longer allow me to view it as the database has changed over to the WHS system.

Of those 10 rounds, I matched or beat my handicap 9 times.
And how, on average, did the 21-24 handicap players fare? Because it's players at that level that Slope addresses!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fairly well, the top three scores were in the mid-high net '60s.
Improvers? 'Bandits'? 'All/most' 'Bogey' players? All 10 comps/tournaments? (assuming 'top three' was 'top three 21-24 cappers').

Oh and what is the Slope of the course?

Ssshank

Visit site
Improvers? 'Bandits'? All 'Bogey' players? All 10 comps/tournaments?

Oh and what is the Slope of the course?

Different players, there was only one comp where the winner of division 3 shot net level par. Though for the rest a good bunch were at or below their handicap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Different players, there was only one comp where the winner of division 3 shot net level par. Though for the rest a good bunch were at or below their handicap.

You are only looking at the winners! The Slope system is likely to more rapidly adjust consistent improvers! And 'a good bunch' means sod-all really! How was the spread? Presumably, 'a good bunch' were outside buffer too!

My course is just a tad higher Slope (141 with CR 72.6 1 over Par - like SSS). It certainly has plenty of danger for Bogey players, but plenty of scope for 'great' rounds to be had by high-cappers too!

Btw. That's one of the reasons for comps to be played in 'Divisions'!

leojhonq

Visit site
A rangefinder with slope technology makes it easier for you to calculate the distance and the degree of elevation to the flagstick. This will help you pick up the right club according to the slope and yardage if you are playing in an uphill or downhill area.