Slope rating.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find that ridiculous if that is the case, length difficulty.

Also, why are we using yardages from the 1970s? most scratch players will hit the ball well over 250 yards.
No they don't. Many 1000s of samples were taken about 10 years ago and again a year ago and the driving distance (on to the fairway I believe) of a 0 handicapper went up from 250 to 254.
The average PGA Tour pro hits under 300.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
More to do with the length of carry required, an old codger like me could lose numerous balls / strokes trying to get over 160 yards of gorse from the tee.
And that is where the extra points come in which take the rating up by a few holes. But I did say it was an open field. A scratch player needs to carry over 220+

Ssshank

Visit site
And your sample size was how many thousands?

It is statistically significant, of 70-80 players only a handful have hit below 250.

If it was carry it may have been plausible but would seem more applicable to the 2-8 range, not for scratch players.

Must've been hitting into a headwind during the experiment.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
And that is where the extra points come in which take the rating up by a few holes. But I did say it was an open field. A scratch player needs to carry over 220+
In stableford that would be fine it's just a blob, but medal stroke play, some poor old sod could stand there all day and wouldn't clear 160/70 yards or find their balls :p:D:devilish:There would need to be a bail out option.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is statistically significant, of 70-80 players only a handful have hit below 250.

If it was carry it may have been plausible but would seem more applicable to the 2-8 range, not for scratch players.

Must've been hitting into a headwind during the experiment.
These USGA trials involved hitting in opposite directions. The carry was 230.
Was this a controlled trial? By whom?

The chart via the USGA, in the next post shows information measured at male and female clubs in the U.K., and as many as 2,000 men’s drives and 300 women’s drives are used to collect each season’s data.

The only men’s amateur handicap group that increased its driving distance from the year before was the 21 and above handicaps. That group has increased two consecutive seasons

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
am-2.jpg

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
That looks about right, ATM I'm leaning towards green [ can't believe i just said that ] but I'm probably more greyish with a blue rinse :D .
Distance is great but carry is more important to some.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That looks about right, ATM I'm leaning towards green [ can't believe i just said that ] but I'm probably more greyish with a blue rinse :D .
Distance is great but carry is more important to some.
Carry is vital at this time of year especially to us short hitters. I've gone from 10.5 to 11 to just try and keep it in the air that bit longer

Ssshank

Visit site
These USGA trials involved hitting in opposite directions. The carry was 230.
Was this a controlled trial? By whom?

The chart via the USGA, in the next post shows information measured at male and female clubs in the U.K., and as many as 2,000 men’s drives and 300 women’s drives are used to collect each season’s data.

The only men’s amateur handicap group that increased its driving distance from the year before was the 21 and above handicaps. That group has increased two consecutive seasons

The sample size is relatively small, it is estimated that there are 24 million golfers who play on a regular basis.

Age is also important. For example, a scratch handicap in his 20's will more than likely hit the ball farther than someone in their 50's.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The sample size is relatively small, it is estimated that there are 24 million golfers who play on a regular basis.

Age is also important. For example, a scratch handicap in his 20's will more than likely hit the ball farther than someone in their 50's.
It would be impossible to rate courses for all the potential variations of golfers. Two 20+ cappers in my group can hit the ball 300 yards. In what direction? We never know.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry for advertising another website

Distances hit

This makes good reading

https://www.golfmagic.com/golf-news/average-driving-distance-age-and-handicap

Takes both handicap and age in to consideration.

and this is the one from this magazine

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/how-far-do-average-golfers-actually-hit-it-123891#:~:text=Driving distance figures from the,and overs average 187 yards.

Now if you are going to devise a system for slope, course rating etc you have to use the average not the best

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I seem to remember your rating system proposal didn't amount to much.

Yet we still see you're than ingrained in the system you try and defend the undefendable unjustified
The difference between the two ratings is virtually all down to the difference in length. Which is basically the same for all cases.
If you think about it, just count the number of straight strokes it would take to get to the green on an open field.
Depending on the length of a
Par 3 - 1 or 2
Par 4 - 2 or 3
Par 5 - 3 or 4
and then 2 putts for all 18.
Look at the length of each hole on each course. Using as a standard distance of a max 250 yards for a drive and 220 for a second shot.
It's not the actual method, just a crude exercise but gives you an idea.

????????

Only an idiot would implement such a haphazard nonsense and try and make it a "standard" system.

Then lets factor in the other anomalies....

Oh wait lets not bother as its a shambles.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought there were multiple factors to consider?

So I guess in the past courses were rated by looking at a scorecard and could be done without an actual visit to the course...

Sounds like a cushy little number to me :ROFLMAO:

Don't forget they "rush" round in order to get their free round of golf after it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
No they don't. Many 1000s of samples were taken about 10 years ago and again a year ago and the driving distance (on to the fairway I believe) of a 0 handicapper went up from 250 to 254.
The average PGA Tour pro hits under 300.

Aye whatever. New driver gained me over 4 yards.

NEXT excuse please....