Slide or Turn??

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
High handicapper in need of advice.

Bit of back ground for you.

I've noticed on my downswing that there is no decernable shift forward in my weight. As a result my divot is starting under the ball rather than in front. The reason I think is that I'm starting the downswing with my arms/shoulders rather than my legs.

I'm trying to get into the routine of starting my downswing with my legs (I.E turning toward the target) rather than starting the downswing with my arms/shoulders.

To this end I have 2 questions.

1. Which is more accepted as correct.Starting the downswing by turning th hips to the target, or sliding the weight to my left leg and letting the hips come round naturally?

2. Can you good people recommend any drills?

Edit for schpelling

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Very much a personal thing this mate I think and open to interpretation but ill try tell you what I do.
My first movement is not a conscious slide but a positive weight shift on to the outside of my left foot. It looks like a slide with my legs but I try to keep my head behind the ball where it was at address.
This then let's the arms and club to naturally start on the inside and fall into the 'slot' (sometimes)... then its flip the right knee and waist to target which really happens because of the weight shift.

It may not be correct mate, but just the way I see it.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for that.

I'm not having an issue with my current swing off the tee. As it stands my natural shot is straight with a very slight fade. I'm sending my 3 wood past 220 Yards so distance off the tee isnt an issue.

The problem tends to manifest when playing off turf. I either pick the ball clean off the ground (which i dont mind), leaving only a slight brusing to the turf, even with short irons/wedges, or, my divot starts under the ball and progresses forward (rather than starting infrint of the ball).

My shoulder and hip turn is fine. Like I said, my problem seems to be not shifting my weight forward on the downswing.