SLDR mini vs aeroburner mini

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should look at the 16° mini if your playing a driver?

I reckon the shaft should be fine for your swing speed mate.

I can keep this down in the wind if need be aswell. Never tried it off the deck though

I've had a 16 degree SLDR Mini for about a year now, it's safe to say it rescued my driving from the depths of despair. I don't use it as much as I used to but it stays in the bag for those tight holes or if I'm not confident with my driver.
So I now have Driver, Mini, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 5 iron blah blah which seems to work well gapping wise but I don't hit Mini off the deck unless it's sat up really nicely on a tuft of grass.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a 16 degree and use it a lot off both the tee and fairway. Very similar flight and distances to my RBZ Tour 3 but if anything it's a lower trajectory not higher! It's also a lot easier to hit and more forgiving.

You really need to try the lofts because, as Jake highlights " things are different".

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like I'll have to seek some out in different lofts to try.
Scouting around eBay and the like and it is a little more expensive than I had hoped for an older model, might just end up with the aeroburner, would certainly be easier to try that out in different specs, even get fitted.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stuey,

It's a fantastic bit of kit. I got the SLDR Mini 14* the day it got released last year as an alternative to a driver. The standard shaft though does not feel good, like Fundy said. I changed the shaft in mine for a Bi-Matrix and that worked a treat off the tee but not fairway.

My big problem with it is how do I fit it in my bag? Given the chance it would be the 15th club in my bag, but that is not allowed.

Off the deck it goes ok, but I wouldn't have any confidence in it if I had to carry over something onto a green, as it has a habit of flying a bit low now and again loosing quite a bit of carry. So as a club to fire at greens with, it isn't as good as my i25 3W even though it is about 20 yards longer. But off the tee it wins hands down.

Off the tee it is as straight as anything I have ever hit, including long irons and hybrids. Only problem is the distance loss compared to my driver, around 20-30 yards so dropping my driver for it isn't an option either. On holes where accuracy wins over distance I have my 2i and 3W for that.

In conclusion it is a fantastic club and I would advise any higher handicap player to dump the driver and get the 14* one because it is so easy to hit, very straight and they would probably find it isn't much shorter than their driver. Lower handicap players struggling with accuracy off the tee might like the 12* model and drop the driver.

As a replacement for a 3w, I still want it to be and might need to try a different shaft in it to get a more consistent launch from the deck. The TM stock shaft was OK from the deck, but made it fly too high off the tee. The Bi-Matrix makes it a beast off the tee but not so good from the deck.

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't find many reviews for the 12 Deg? Anyone tried the 12... I'm more after a driver replacement more than a 3 wood fairway.

Currently use the 14 which is very good off tee but tough off the deck... But then wouldn't use the aeroburner off the deck.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't find many reviews for the 12 Deg? Anyone tried the 12... I'm more after a driver replacement more than a 3 wood fairway.

Currently use the 14 which is very good off tee but tough off the deck... But then wouldn't use the aeroburner off the deck.

I don't think the 12* version is very popular. It sorts of goes away frm the idea behind them. Easy to launch 3w loft, long shaft and a deeper more forgiving head. Turn the loft down and your getting towards what people struggle with and that's the lack of loft on a driver.

Last edited:

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think the 12* version is very popular. It sorts of goes away frm the idea behind them. Easy to launch 3w loft, long shaft and a deeper more forgiving head. Turn the loft down and your getting towards what people struggle with and that's the lack of loft on a driver.
I wouldn't say that. I use the 12° mini SLDR, and it has plenty of loft (for me), and is useable off the deck. ( if confident)

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers gents. Couldn't get golf of a 12 sldr last year... But can't get the aeroburner of 14 this year. Off to try the 12 tomorrow. If it's easy as my 14 (with less spin) then I'll be interested. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played today and tried the aeroburner 12,pitted it against my 3 deep and driver, longer than the 3 deep and maybe 10 yards shy of the driver but much straighter, very high launching.
I can see it replacing my 3 wood and driver, I never hot 3 wood off the deck anyway.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to go a different way, went to Celtic manor titleist national fitting centre to get fitted and ended up with a 915fd 3 wood and a 915hd 2 hybrid between my driver and irons.
I have made some changes recently that have improved my striking with a 3wood off the deck and tee and have loads of confidence in that shot now, so am going that way.

The plan is to get fitted, buy what has been recommended by the fitter and stop tinkering with my bag.

The 2 hybrid is epic, btw.