SLDR mini vs aeroburner mini

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone had a chance to compare them head to head?
Tempted by this type of club but would prefer to pick up an older SLDR mini than fork out for the brand new aeroburner, if the performance is similar.
Yes I know I should try them myself, would still like to hear about other's experiences.

Cheers
Stu

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can only comment on the SLDR mini. Unbelievably forgiving. Every shot seems to go down the middle. The only issue is where it goes in the bag because it's hard to use off the ground so it can't replace my trusty 3W. So I tend to carry it on 9-hole courses when the driver would be too long/risky.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would use it exclusively off the tee and carry either a 4 or 5 (probably 5) wood as my longest FW club.
I could go back to a 52-58 wedge set up to make room for 2 woods, or just take out my 4 iron as the least used club in my bag.

What loft do you have it in?
Standard shaft? Tp model? Something different?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have literally an hour ago just bought the Aeroburner Mini driver. Sooooo easy to hit, Cant comment on the SLDR mini as i have never hit one, however my current driver is the SLDR 460 14 degree. I bought the 12deg mini, was about 15 yards shorter than the SLDR. Surprisingly easy to hit off the deck, i found off the deck its quite low launch, could be a great option into the wind either off the tee or fairway. Left me with a dilema with club setup now, as I now own a SLDR Driver, Mini, 5 wood, 22 deg hybrid and a 4 iron.. One of them has to go.. It was going to be the SLDR, but the 4 iron might go now..

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have had the Aeroburner Mini (12 deg, stiff) in the bag for a couple of weeks now having had the SLDR Mini (14 deg, stiff) in the bag previously. I think they're both great clubs and wouldn't put you off getting either, both very easy to hit off a tee and (for me) much more reliable than getting the big dog out. The other big plus I have found for the Aeroburner is that it's far easier to get off the deck than the SLDR and I actually wasn't bad with the latter although I know some don't like using it other than off the tee.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strange situation Rooter, your driver having more loft than your "fairway wood" (used the quotation marks cos it isn't really a FW is it...)

I think I might try and get a second hand SLDR mini. 12 or 14 degrees is the question now I suppose.

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Anyone had a chance to compare them head to head?
Tempted by this type of club but would prefer to pick up an older SLDR mini than fork out for the brand new aeroburner, if the performance is similar.
Yes I know I should try them myself, would still like to hear about other's experiences.

Cheers
Stu

The SLDR is a low spin head designed for golfers who apply lots of backspin or faster swing speeds at impact. Whereas the AeroBurner is designed with a slightly more rearward CG so it's easier to launch. Best to try both if possible as they'll have different characteristics of the tee and deck.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strange situation Rooter, your driver having more loft than your "fairway wood" (used the quotation marks cos it isn't really a FW is it...

I know what you mean, but as per Jakes post above, the tech is very different. Not sure i will carry both anyway, SLDR may go to Ebay as the Ping i20 5 wood doesnt suit my OCD between 2 Aeroburners!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The SLDR is a low spin head designed for golfers who apply lots of backspin or faster swing speeds at impact. Whereas the AeroBurner is designed with a slightly more rearward CG so it's easier to launch. Best to try both if possible as they'll have different characteristics of the tee and deck.

Thanks for the explanation. There are lots of golf obsessives on here, not surprising really, but for those who don't have as much knowledge this type of info is really useful.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Strange situation Rooter, your driver having more loft than your "fairway wood" (used the quotation marks cos it isn't really a FW is it...)

I think I might try and get a second hand SLDR mini. 12 or 14 degrees is the question now I suppose.

I'd be tempted to go for 14. I have sldr mini in 14, got 12 and 16 after with thinking of 12 to maybe replace driver, 16 if carrying driver. 14 had stayed in bag with a new 2nd hand sldr driver. If using mainly off fairway 16 worth considering as lots easier to get airborne if you want to hit softer shots.

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
Ive played the sldr mini driver 14° for just over a year now. Very nice club and wont be leaving my bag for a long time. As for distance theres no point in mentioning that on here. As there is hunters waiting to shoot you down.
Accuracy wise i am alot more consistant with it than i ever have been with a driver.
I have the standard stiff 57gram shaft.
My 6 iron swing speed is 86mph if that is any use to you.
The shaft feels excellent and i wouldnt consider a tp model as the shafts feel heavy imo.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big mini driver fan. Most as long as my driver, but a lot more forgiving and straighter. Not tried the aeroburner mini, but fancy giving it a try. I think the lower spinning SLDR will be better for me!
Oh, and I don't use it off the deck. Find it very hard to hit!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive played the sldr mini driver 14° for just over a year now. Very nice club and wont be leaving my bag for a long time. As for distance theres no point in mentioning that on here. As there is hunters waiting to shoot you down.
Accuracy wise i am alot more consistant with it than i ever have been with a driver.
I have the standard stiff 57gram shaft.
My 6 iron swing speed is 86mph if that is any use to you.
The shaft feels excellent and i wouldnt consider a tp model as the shafts feel heavy imo.

Thanks Bobirdie. My 6i speed is just a couple of mph more than you, around 88-90. That's useful feedback on the shaft, I was wondering if the TP model would be worth the extra expense.
I am thinking 14*, as it won't be an outright replacement for my driver, something shorter and straighter is what I want it for. Distance typically isn't an issue so not sure if I need to push it to the 12*.
I have an 18* mph4 2 iron that I really like as well, though at the minute I am preferring to just use the moh4 3iron as its long enough and a little easier off the fairway.

I would go:
Driver
Mini 14*
4 or 5w, probably 5.
Mph4 3i
5-pw
3 wedges

Or revert to 2 wedges and keep my 4i in the bag.

D

Deleted member 15344

Had a crack with a SLDR mini on Sunday - went about a yard shorter than my driver , felt very nice of the face

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally would try the shafts before settling on the non tp model. For me when I tried them the shaft in the non tp model was awful, very lightweight and very soft, the tp shaft a much better fit for me and produced a way better ball flight though nowhere near as good as the matrix shaft. Basically some will suit the non tp and some the tp better (and most a shaft upgrade!)

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been using a 14* Mini SLDR this year and it is a great club, although around 10 yds or so shorter than my RBZ it is far more accurate.

I had replaced the RBZ with a Cleveland Classic XL but couldn't get on with that and the Mini would have easily competed in distance terms with it