Looking to personalize my TaylorMade golf bag and a bit more.

mark cottringer

Visit site
Hey guys....for a few years now I have been looking to personalize my golf bag. Nothing crazy, just my name and my GC. I've also wanted to do the same to my wedges with my name or favorite hockey team. The main reason I ask is not that I'm vain but that I have had numerous discussions with other members at my club with similar interests and thought maybe there could be a market for this and maybe a small business opportunity. My brother is the head pro at Lookout Pointe in Fonthill, ON a very nice affordable private club and know our members are very proud and would enjoy having the clubs name on their bags along with their names. Unfortunately I just can't find any company's that could complete my orders. I know large companies like Titleist etc. may personalize newer purchased products while those with older equipment have none.
So....I am asking the forum if they might have any ideas or may have people they know that are familiar with what I am looking for or companies online that would be able to do this type of work.

I would eventually like to set up a website where athletes can visit to get certain pieces of equipment labelled just for them with names, quotes or anything that makes them stand out and feel confident with their own PERSONAL sporting tool (baseball gloves, bats, golf balls etc). But that is way down the road.....lol

Thanks to those that read my long message and I hope to hear from anyone who may have some ideas. The best idea gets a free round on me at Lookout (but you have to get to the Niagara area on your dollar.....lol)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
A guy at our place has a little gollywog doll hanging on his bag :confused:

Not sure about getting your name on your bag unless you're a half decent player though :D

mark cottringer

Visit site
On a personal note I have never wanted this as it diminishes the resale value.
Thats a great point Jim. I must say that I gues this idea is for those who love their sticks and bag and when its time for another usually pass it down to a child or leave it in the garage like my 90"s titleist bag that I dont think many would like to purchase. I am not really one to let go of golf memorabilia as they are a part of me as silly as that may seem. I still have my 845"s from my University team play that I could never give or sell away.

I absolutely see your point however but as I pointed out I was playing in a club tourney and brought this idea up to about 30 people who for the most part liked the idea of at least having the clubs name on their bag, especially when we travel to play CC vs CC competitions.

I should have mentioned that I play to a 4 handicap currently but age has shortened my distance and was at 1 years ago. I lived golf as a young man and maybe thats why I personally could never give or sell anything accept to my kids. Thank you so much for replying.

mark cottringer

Visit site
A guy at our place has a little gollywog doll hanging on his bag :confused:

Not sure about getting your name on your bag unless you're a half decent player though :D
Maybe I should just look into who would want a gollywoog doll on their bag instead........lol
The idea mainly started out of club unity and the discussion turned to other messages like quotes, sports teams etc to personalize our bags. I admit its not a billion dollar app idea......lol but just wondered if anyone out there has had this done to their equipment and could help me do the same. thanks 4 the reply

D

Deleted member 16999

I take it by personalize, you mean have your name or/and club badge embroided on the removable panel on a Tour bag?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are people out there doing custom golf bags at the moment https://www.pge-ltd.com/custom-golf-bags

As far as I'm aware, to get a customised patch you need to send it to the manufacturer in question, although stand to be corrected on that. It sounds a niche idea but once you've exhausted demand at your club how would you look to develop opportunities?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Got my name stamped on my last set of vokey wedges . Instead of selling them for 60 quid or something they still sit in my garagebacause who'd want my name on them. Don't personalise clubs with names if you unless you get them for free or won't sell them

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
for some reason I think that amateurs arent allowed names on their bags ,im not 100% sure on this but a former tour player sold a bag of his that had his name on and told the buyer that he wasnt allowed to put his name on the bag ,the reason is beyond me as i have no issue with names on bags but competition stewards might view things a little differently.

D

Deleted member 18588

for some reason I think that amateurs arent allowed names on their bags ,im not 100% sure on this but a former tour player sold a bag of his that had his name on and told the buyer that he wasnt allowed to put his name on the bag ,the reason is beyond me as i have no issue with names on bags but competition stewards might view things a little differently.

One of golf's urban myths.

Nothing in the Rules of Golf, Amateur Status, that would prevent you having your name on your bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of wolf's urban myths.

Nothing in the Rules of Golf, Amateur Status, that would prevent you having your name on your bag

you could very well be right but i have never seen an amateur with their name on their bag ,so might just be something in it .
i will bow to superior knowledge should you be right sir.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
you could very well be right but i have never seen an amateur with their name on their bag ,so might just be something in it .
i will bow to superior knowledge should you be right sir.
You can have your name on your bag, I know a high profile amateur who has his name on his. It is perfectly legal, just can make you seem like you love yourself a bit

Visit site
I enquired about this with the RandA a few years back and was told you can have your name on the bag but it's when you get to the elite end of amateur golf that maybe an issue as it could be deemed as being sponsored by the bag manufacturer, Unless the rules have changed recently.

But to the OP, I had a Mizuno bag which I wanted personalised and the local company said impossible as the bag is fully made up and even if they could get to the area the needle wouldn't be strong enough to go through the material. Unless you have a zipped off front panel I think you'll struggle to do individuals bags.

I got my personalised bag from mycustomgolfbag-global.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of companies will offer a customised bag service although it tends to involve a brand new bag and so unless the OP wants to take the panel off and ask TM to do the artwork (or another company) I don't know that he can get it done without getting said new bag, and therefore what quality etc that would be like. From the reviews I've seen including a Rob Potter youtube video, they look half decent and could be worth a punt to pimp your bag to exactly your specifications. It's something I've dabbled with but cash a bit tight with all the GM trips and other stuff coming up

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My old Sun Mountain C130 cart bag came with an interchangeable bottom pocket front. You were given 2 fronts, that zipped into place. One was metal fronted, the other just material so you could have it embroidered if you so desired.
As an amteur, it just says to me how much you love yourself and how wonderful you aren't.