skycaddie sg5

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can see how it gives yardages to the front, middle and back of the green, but how does it know where the pin is?

with SC you can move the marker to where you think the pin is on the green and get a yardage.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So you get the exact yardage to an approximate pin position, which could be out by as much as ten yards, ie: one club length. Hmm. And guessing isn't as accurate?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have been looking at the skycaddie web site, and can see some benefit, as in it isn't just about pin positions, but what margin you have in terms of landing area. ie: if the pin was only 2 yards on, then you would probably still go for the middle of the green and putt back. Knowing where the pin was would not really help.

What model gps has anyone got?

If anyone has a bushnell, can you measure distances to bunkers? or does it need a reflective surface or special flag stick?

matthewsgolf

Club Champion
www.letsgolf.org
I have both the Skycaddie SG5 and also the Bushnell medalist range finder.
You can point the range finder at bunkers and other objects.
I use both (i am a golf profesisonal) so that i can have a reading of the flag dist (bushnell) an use the sc for course management hiting areas, carry distances of hazards etc. These are the 2 best pieces of golfing equipment i have ever used.
I love them that much that i now recomend and sell them to my golf lesson clients.

Andrew

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wow, you are just the person I have been looking for.

If you were going to have just one, (for a 12 handicap), which would you go for?

matthewsgolf

Club Champion
www.letsgolf.org
now theres a question. Both devices will blow your mind. Skycaddie gives you lay up info (end of fairway) water hazard yardage etc. The range finder can be pointed at a flag or object..
if i was a 12 handicap i would go for the sky caddie..for the reason it gives center of green info and all the other targets..
If you want more info them PM me or email - andrew@letsgolf.org

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have enjoyed reading this post, but is it just me or is there anyone else that think gps systems and range finders takes a big part of the game away?

I personally enjoy looking for yardage markers and pacing out, or picking reference points from the course plan etc.

I feel so pleased with my self when i get the distance right and nail the shot.

Agreed the same could be said for having a caddy and i think thats a great idea, but I have never really been a fan of technology in sport.

For me it would be like playing football against half a team, or snooker with bigger pockets.

Anyway, just my 2p's worth

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
but I have never really been a fan of technology in sport.

Presumably you want to give back the following then:

Shoes
Gloves
Tees
Balls
Irons
Woods
Hybrids
Putters
Bags
Trolley
Umbrella
Waterproofs

...and anything else that has been made since 1980.

Let us know how you get on! :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always one,

I wouldnt really consider all that as 'technology' although i can see where your coming from but what i meant was things like, Camera's on goal lines or televised replays for ref's benefit.

All sports require 'equipment' to play it and I'm pretty sure most of the stuff listed was used in the sports early days, so call me old fashined but I accept most of the stuff listed above is constantly improving but that is just to make playing more comftable.

Using something electronic to show you yardages, (for me) is a step too far for this game.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
But that's talking about things to assist referees making a decision, not helping a player play the game, which all equipment is.

We know the yardages are not 100% precise anyway, so I just don't get what the problem is? Yardage markers, strokesavers etc all essentially do the same, just not as well, so why would you accept those and not a gps?

Give it 5 years and I'll bet just about every golfer has one in some form or other.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Toon there is no problem at all mate.

Basically because gps systems are not acurate then I wouldnt spend £200 quid on one when I can get the same reading from a course planner or yardage marker.

I just dont see the point in this as part of the challenge for me is working out my own yardages and then hoping I have chosen the right club.

If I was a pro then yeah I might get one if it helped me pay the bills. But I am not so for me, this game is better raw!

As for the refs, When the game was invented, they never had all the tech they do now, and again (for me) the split second decision making that is sometimes contraverstial is what makes the game so exciting. The game was alot better before the current boffins started introducing bloody golden goal/silver goal and 2 phase off side etc.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
So does mine but its pap, Is it the N95 by anychance?

You can buy sat nav with golf GPS on it, just a thought if anyone was looking at sat navs!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
.... but I have never really been a fan of technology in sport.

Tony, you signature shows the weapons you use on the course:

Callaway FT-5 draw bias 10.5* Aldila NVS 65-R 350 Shaft
Cleveland Halo 19* stiff shaft
Callaway x20 steel 4-sw
Callaway 60* Rusty Forged lob wedge
Odyssey white hot xg #7, 34''

All of which are on the market thanks to technological advances.

Would you expect the World Rally drivers to go out and tackle a stage without knowing where the dangers lay? It would be entertaining but would not make for good rallying. GPS is just an electronic stroke saver.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes it is the N95, never used it as I havesat nav in the car. But if courses were available then I would use it.

there are other things that I would rather spend £200-£300 on that will help my game

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your getting the wrong idea from my posts.

I am not saying that I dont want to, or do not use any technology to participate in sport. That would be daft.

What I am saying is I like to try keep a balance between the natural game and ever increasing demands of modern day competition.

I feel I am going around in circles here with people just trying to convince me that GPS systems are just.

I already know that and dont dispute it, I was mearly trying to say, I can think of betterways to spend £200

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
The N95 is pretty useless in any other weather than a sunny clear day.

It doesn't work too well as a satnav so I couldnt really see it being of much use as a golf gps system!