Sky coverage of the European Tour

scorpioeyes

Visit site
80% of golfers are male yet the womens tour seems almost to take precedence lately on sky sports golf. Is this fair? There are plenty of good male commentators/presenters,so why does the European tour need Iona Stephen joining in?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Takes precedence? Not really... might happen this week for the Major at Troon, but generally, you switch to Channel 405 , you see blokes playing, not women.

Not many Welsh lasses playing...my own Club have had several at college in the States, low handicappers, super players, but not making the transition to the profession tours

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the exact opposite. Whilst the PGA Tour, European Tour & LPGA/LET were all playing at the same time, the men's European Tour was on both Sky Sports Golf AND Sky Sports Mix, with the LET (Scottish Open) relegated to the Red button, which you cant watch on a mobile device. By all means have the men on one channel, the women on another and then people can choose.

I personally love watch the women's golf, as they play with much more strategy rather than "bomb and gouge" that is prevalent in the men's game

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like watching the women's tour. The majority of them hit a similar sort of distance to me so I can imagine myself trying to play those shots. Obviously their quality and consistency of strike are almost infinitely better than mine, but the I can relate to them using a 7 iron for 150 yards like me, instead of the men hitting wedges etc.

On the downside tho, my 3 ball would be round in 2 hours less then their's. Not too bad watching on TV while the course is full, but painful when you're down to following the final couple of groups on a Sunday.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I like watching the women's tour. The majority of them hit a similar sort of distance to me so I can imagine myself trying to play those shots. Obviously their quality and consistency of strike are almost infinitely better than mine, but the I can relate to them using a 7 iron for 150 yards like me, instead of the men hitting wedges etc.

On the downside tho, my 3 ball would be round in 2 hours less then their's. Not too bad watching on TV while the course is full, but painful when you're down to following the final couple of groups on a Sunday.
I know. That Jennifer Song was painful to watch at the Ladies Scottish Open last week. Kudos to Stacy Lewis for keeping her cool

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree with this, the positive and the negative. Sadly I ended up giving up on Sunday when it got to the final few groups. Painfully slow and an absolute turn off. Song has been mentioned but Munoz was equally awful whenever she was shown.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the coverage and as you'd expect for a womens event they have included extra femal coverage. I think people critical of Iona Stephen need to look at her sporting CV to see she has enough about her to do the on course job

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Womens golf and seniors are more enjoyable on many levels compared to watching Bryson hit it 350 yrds though wouldn't miss The Open or the Masters

GBC

sunshine

Visit site
I went to the final day of the Women's British Open at Woburn last year and it was great. In comparison to the men, I hardly saw any wayward driving. It was very illuminating for an amateur like me.

They're not all slow either. Although Lizette Salas was painful to watch, and I suspect she was deliberately slowing down to put off her playing partner and the contenders in the group behind her (she was leading / sharing the lead on the back nine). Found myself rooting for anyone but her.

This thread is backfiring on the OP :ROFLMAO: