Skipping Booking A Tee Thoughts

James Dolman

Visit site
Hi All!!

This might be a very random question but I had a query about booking tee times etc,

At my golf club like most I’d imagine, they say to go to the pro shop beofre you tee off however every time I go to the pro shop to ask to go on they just say yeah that’s fine go straight on.

I’m obviously a full member and I usually go around 1/2 where at my club it’s a lot quieter and you can always go straight on.

My question is:

If you’re a full member and have paid to go on, do you think you could/ should be able to just walk straight on as long as you don’t affect anyone e.g skip the queue sonto speak or put others on edge.

Thank you all for your thoughts!!!

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
First off, Welcome to the forum!
In answer to your question, unless there is a society or club competition on I would always expect to walk straight on if its quiet. I pay my subs so that i can play as and when I please

D

Deleted member 17920

Think it’s always best to go in and tell the shop and tell them you are playing.

We always make a note who is going out and a note when we see them come back, we did have one solo player that didn’t return when we expected so we went out and found him feeling very unwell, so glad he didn’t just go on without letting us know.

Our green staff always use gaps for getting work done so that helps as well as we keep them updated.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think this is as much a courtesy as anything else.

Sounds like my club has much the same set up.

I tend to pop in to the shop but often find the pro is on the phone or responding to emails and it seems pretty pointless when there is no one about.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Much will depend on the nature of the 'club'.

On the basis that it is a members club, owned by and run for the members, the only issue will be what you, the members, have decided is the answer (which will be driven by decisions relating to visitors, members bookings, societies and other groups, matches, competitions etc etc etc

If it's a propriatory club then it will be the rules and priorities they decide, from time to time.

James Dolman

Visit site
Thanks you all for your thoughts, it just makes me think why am I going in when I see people who go out without going in the pro shop.

I might just ask the question one day but I also book online so what about this question:

If you book a tee time online and just turn up would that make things different?

Also thanks for the warm welcome :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. If you book a tee time, I see nothing wrong arriving a tad early, going in the shop and asking if you can just go out, especially if its quiet. The worse that can happen is they say no and you revert back to your already booked time

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
It depends on the clubs policy for giving out tee times. For example, at my home club (and the second one that I am now a member of as well), they do not give out fixed tee times, even for guests. It is always "first come first served" on the first tee. On very crowded days, you can reserve yourself a spot by putting a ball into a little metal spiral next to the first tee and then go and have a coffee in the club house. That means, that the members can always just walk up to the tee without registering at the front desk.

If the club, on the other hand, does give out tee times, it is important that they know who is out on the course, so that normally means you need to tell them when you go out. The club where I first started playing handled it this way. They were located in a bit of a tourist hotspot and had many guests playing, so they preferred to know how many members where out on the course at any given time. That meant they could also warn you, when they knew a potentially slow group had just teed off a while earlier and recommend you start from the 10th tee instead.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
We book online and go to tee.
We used to go via the pro shop as mentioned when we joined, but most times searching for someone, as desk not manned and a nonchalant "Okay" if it was, meant we didn't see the value.
The sceptical part of me thinks it was to increase foot fall through the pro shop.
Don't blame them I'm a magpie to anything new and shiny!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use a computer booking system. I always book our 18 hole course as it is busy even when playing as single but often do not bother on our 9 hole course depending on what the bookings look like. I often just play 6 holes and do not want a player booking in with me expecting to be partnered for a full round.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All!!

This might be a very random question but I had a query about booking tee times etc,

At my golf club like most I’d imagine, they say to go to the pro shop beofre you tee off however every time I go to the pro shop to ask to go on they just say yeah that’s fine go straight on.

I’m obviously a full member and I usually go around 1/2 where at my club it’s a lot quieter and you can always go straight on.

My question is:

If you’re a full member and have paid to go on, do you think you could/ should be able to just walk straight on as long as you don’t affect anyone e.g skip the queue sonto speak or put others on edge.

Thank you all for your thoughts!!!

We don't operate tee times apart from Sunday mornings, we respect the other players and wait if necessary on the first or ask the Pro if its ok to Tee off at the 10th. Its always worked well in my 25 years of membership.

D

Deleted member 1147

If it’s just me playing 9 I’ll either just walk on to the tee if there’s no one about, or more often than not, I’ll have a chat with the pros and then go out having told them what I’m doing.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I walk straight on. If there is anyone teeing off the first I walk to the 1tth, if there is someone there I go to 15th.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
We have to pop in the shop at our club after booking.
They have a list of who’s playing for the day and the Marshall has that with him.
This helps in monitor pace of play and and ensures people don’t just slip on for free.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not fully sure that I've grasped the question correctly but, we have a booking system. I always book as that ensures that if anyone just turns up on the tee without booking then they have to wait for me. I have the club v1 app on my phone so I could even do it in the car park if needs be.

We no longer have a pro but even when we did he was a long way from the 1st so most people went straight out to the tee anyway without checking in with him. Booking gives you the right to be there at the time you booked.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not fully sure that I've grasped the question correctly but, we have a booking system. I always book as that ensures that if anyone just turns up on the tee without booking then they have to wait for me. I have the club v1 app on my phone so I could even do it in the car park if needs be.

We no longer have a pro but even when we did he was a long way from the 1st so most people went straight out to the tee anyway without checking in with him. Booking gives you the right to be there at the time you booked.
same here we have a booking system, always check it before going for an afternoon game esp in summer , don't want to turn up at 4pm only to find 50 yanks are on the course with caddies.

Would always have pre booked time on the whole, esp on a Sat morning and arranged games

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have to but usually pop into the pro shop to say hello, it can be a lonely place especially in the winter months!
I used to be a member at a hotel course, nice place as well. The pro shop was a lonely place so I would always go in before a round to chat to the pro. I suggested they should install a coffee machine, maybe even a small settee, there was space. He agreed, he had tried to get one but the hotel had rejected the idea. It was a shame, it must be tough in that situation.