Six hole golf courses

Bermuda

Visit site
Around 3 years ago there was a lot of talk about courses being split up,into perhaps two X 9 or three X 6 holes to enable people to whizz around in an hour or so, I.e quick fire golf as many people did not have the time anymore for 18 holes and memberships were dropping and clubs closing in some cases. I have never seen this happen in terms of breaking a course up in this way and while it would be controversial I would be in favour of this in some cases, I would love to be able to go and play a 6 hole round due to business constraints. Has anyone seen this happen

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It would largely depend on the layout of the courses. In many cases they do not lend themselves to 6 hole loops and I don’t think that the demand is that great. Many courses, like my home course, have two loops of 9 and many players do play just 9.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play the 18 hole course does not even lend it self to being split in to 2 nines.

Our nine hole course on the other hand is great if you just want to play 4 ,6 or 9 (unofficially) depending on where other players are. Easy to jump about it all over the place in quiet times.

I sometimes do 1 2 8 9, 1 2 3 4 8 9, 1 2 3 4 3 4 8 9, 1 2 3 5 or 6 7 8 9, 1 2 3 4 part 7 8 9.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Our course, whilst not laid out in traditional loops allows you to play a variety of number of holes where tees are close to greens and you can see if the course is clear for you to cut over.

You can play
1-13,
1-13,17,18
1-3, 13-18
1-3, 13, 17,18
1-5, 12-18 (and subsequent combinations of holes from 13-18 as described above)
once you get pass the 6th though you are pretty much committed to playing 7-13 as there are no easy crossover points where you can see if you will be cutting in in front of other golfers. You could at a push play the 6th and have a quick walk to the 9th green to see if anyone is playing up the 9th fairway or is on the 10th hole and if all is clear cut across from 6 to 10

Obviously this is all dependent on you not holding up play or cutting in front of someone and delaying them

Bermuda

Visit site
Not being rude the point here has been lost. I am talking about changing the game....literally, 6 hole membership and six hole competitions anyone who is retired will not agree or get it I suspect but perhaps that's rude as well, I am talking about 6 hole golf, get home after work and boom a six hole match and a membership that is built for a whole new format, some clubs are closing and memberships in the traditional way is shrinking.....fact

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not being rude the point here has been lost. I am talking about changing the game....literally, 6 hole membership and six hole competitions anyone who is retired will not agree or get it I suspect but perhaps that's rude as well, I am talking about 6 hole golf, get home after work and boom a six hole match and a membership that is built for a whole new format, some clubs are closing and memberships in the traditional way is shrinking.....fact

I work full time, but unless that course was on my doorstep I wouldnt entertain driving for an equal time to playing.

Re tradiinal memberships falling. I don't think that necessarily means falling participation. Just more nomads.

I think courses that have 9 hole loops may be able to go that way. But like all sports. Most people who play them want them as similar to the pros as possible. We dont play footy for 30 mins each half on a Sunday to save time.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
If I’m playing on my own I sometimes only do 17 as the car park is right there and I can’t be bothered to walk the last bit just for a par 3.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am sure there is a some demand for 6 hole rounds at specific times of day I’m not sure you would have a market for a course/membership for this format. Feels to me like paying for 9 holes at a twilight rate and walking in at 6 about as good as course would offer.

At my course the layout offers us 5, 9 or 12 hole options I can’t imagine the effort for them to price and police 5 or 12 hole options would be worth the effort.

D

Deleted member 23344

I know that I’m retired and hence have the spare time but, for me, golf is an 18 hole game. I’m not keen on 9 hole golf, but have occasionally done it ... but six holes? It is inevitable that, for many, as much time will be spent travelling, changing, warming up and cleaning gear than playing. If a golfer is keen enough to bear that, surely they will be keen enough to want to play more than six holes. Also, by the time that one has got into one’s rhythm, it will be time to finish. I guess it might work as an occasional outing for an otherwise 18 hole golfer, but I can’t see it being a player’s usual game ... and without regular players, I can’t see a six hole course paying its way.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Around 3 years ago there was a lot of talk about courses being split up,into perhaps two X 9 or three X 6 holes to enable people to whizz around in an hour or so, I.e quick fire golf as many people did not have the time anymore for 18 holes and memberships were dropping and clubs closing in some cases. I have never seen this happen in terms of breaking a course up in this way and while it would be controversial I would be in favour of this in some cases, I would love to be able to go and play a 6 hole round due to business constraints. Has anyone seen this happen

I am a member of a golf club - it has 18 holes. I can play however many holes I like, pretty much whenever I like, to suit me....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am lucky that I can play as little or as often as I want - HID is very accommodating and doesn't moan so pay for 7 day membership (primarily to pay the premium for weekend golf but that's a different topic) and so will spend as little or as long as I want. If the course is packed I may do 1-3 and if there is a gap 7-9 (or slip back up 18) but have no desire to play a specially designed six hole course or see courses being changed accordingly just to fit it in. I don't think, with all respect to the OP, there is the demand. Even our senior seniors are happy to get round 9 holes. The only 6 hole course I know is in the grounds of Windsor Castle specifically for the royal household. Good luck getting on that! We play them every year (and so at their place on alternate years) and as a one off it's OK but not something I@d like to do a lot

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am lucky that I can play as little or as often as I want - HID is very accommodating and doesn't moan so pay for 7 day membership (primarily to pay the premium for weekend golf but that's a different topic) and so will spend as little or as long as I want. If the course is packed I may do 1-3 and if there is a gap 7-9 (or slip back up 18) but have no desire to play a specially designed six hole course or see courses being changed accordingly just to fit it in. I don't think, with all respect to the OP, there is the demand. Even our senior seniors are happy to get round 9 holes. The only 6 hole course I know is in the grounds of Windsor Castle specifically for the royal household. Good luck getting on that! We play them every year (and so at their place on alternate years) and as a one off it's OK but not something I@d like to do a lot

It’s an 18 hole course at the Castle.....9 greens and 18 tees. Some are par 3/4s then 4/5s front nine to back nine. It’s a fantastic course in a unique setting - and I have my name on the board in the clubhouse!

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok Homie....whatever you say.

Long one up after the traipse across/round the cricket pitch
Turn left par 4 up to the horses
Par 3 to the Canada Copse
Par 3/4 from bottom of Castle (Prince Andrew’s Driving Range) along the Queen’s horses graveyard
Par 3
Par 3
Par 4
Par 3
Par 4/5 back along the road to Henry VIII’s Oak Tree.

The 18 tees to the 9 greens are at very different angles on some holes and different lengths.

I’ve played it a ‘couple’ of times.......

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The biggest trouble is finding clubs that would be willing to go that way or somebody willing enough to build a course for that specific purpose. I cannot see any members clubs who would be willing to go that route if they are anything like where I play. The vast majority of the golf is played between 7.30 and 2pm so the cub is going to be organised to suit the overwhelming majority of golfers, who in our club are senior golfers.

A very large part of our budget is dependent upon visiting societies etc and I cannot see them booking at a club where it is 6, 6, 6.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I often play 9 to 12 holes after tea time and I always feel I would like to play more, so just playing 6 holes would not hold much interest to me especially if it was a competition

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I would bother with it. Only playing 6 holes isn't worth the effort of travelling there unless the course is right on your doorstep, it would be over before you know it.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Definitely see the appeal of a less time-intensive game, but what's wrong with a well set out par 3 course for a 60min round?

Our "proper" course doesn't lend itself to 6 holes in any direction, but playing the front 9 is only an hour and a half even with a bit of traffic. No booking either, just rock up when you like.

The par 3 across town is way quicker, and even though there isn't a hole longer than 135m it's still fun.

Neither is more than 20 mins from home, which probably helps.

bm

_MH_

Visit site
Pachesham Golf Course near Leatherhead in Surrey is a 6 hole. Only played it once but quite enjoyed it, even if my GPS watch got thoroughly confused by it only being 6 holes!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pachesham Golf Course near Leatherhead in Surrey is a 6 hole. Only played it once but quite enjoyed it, even if my GPS watch got thoroughly confused by it only being 6 holes!

Twas a 9 holer back in the day. Think they lost the holes across the road to developers. Still a decent short game area but AG have taken over the shop and the cost of range balls have gone through the roof