Six hole golf courses

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think aside from the ET running their Super 6 event there has rarely been any inclination even in modern designs to introduce 3 x 6 hole loops and it is still the traditional two loops of nine. I really think six hole golf is a niche requirement. I know a lot of golfers who are short of time will go to a course and play perhaps the opening hole or two and then cut across the course playing a hole here and there between groups and then walk back in. I don't see too much demand for a quicker game. Golf is a traditionalist sport and while the T20 format has done well at cricket look at the resistance there has been to the 100 comp. I think it will be hard to break down golf barriers and change any mindset about nipping out for a quick nine into a quick six

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think aside from the ET running their Super 6 event there has rarely been any inclination even in modern designs to introduce 3 x 6 hole loops and it is still the traditional two loops of nine. I really think six hole golf is a niche requirement. I know a lot of golfers who are short of time will go to a course and play perhaps the opening hole or two and then cut across the course playing a hole here and there between groups and then walk back in. I don't see too much demand for a quicker game. Golf is a traditionalist sport and while the T20 format has done well at cricket look at the resistance there has been to the 100 comp. I think it will be hard to break down golf barriers and change any mindset about nipping out for a quick nine into a quick six

Pachesham?

Bermuda

Visit site
I seem to remember something in the magazine a few years ago about the European Tour trying 6-hole competitions.
That's correct there was a load of talk about it, I like the idea of getting home from work and getting 6 holes in they could light them up would not matter if it was dark

Bermuda

Visit site
I think this is something that should and is being done with any new courses. And it's not unreasonable for a course to have changed an 'out and back' layout to 2 loops of 9 if this was feasible... however the big problem with this is that there are already plenty of courses in the UK and there really isn't a business case or a desire to go tearing up courses and repositioning several holes to a more desirable layout.

What I would like to see is the rules changed to allow competition golf to be played over whatever number of holes a club or committee decide. At the moment the rules are 9 or 18 holes. Being more flexible on this may allow courses to sell off land and move to, say, a 12 hole layout. Perhaps include a bit of investment in the remaining 12 holes, facilities and club house. Then they have a course that is quicker to play, cheaper to maintain and perhaps attractive to the types of members you are speaking about who can't spend 5 hours at a golf club on a Saturday.

Obviously it won't be possible or attractive to a lot of courses with original layouts still intact or with thriving membership bases, but I believe in areas with a high number of golf courses - this would be a nice option for courses to have in order to become more sustainable and have their own unique selling point that was just that bit of a step up from a 9 hole course.
Great reply now sookeone is talking my language