Single major or Tour Wins

Single Major or Tour Wins

• Total voters

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
On social media the TUGR account was talking about players that have won a number of times and comparing the careers to players that have won one major and not as many tour events

Westwood and Leonard was used to compare

So given the choice what would you take

The career of Justin Leonard or the one of Lee Westwood

So one majors in this case The Open or 40 plus tour wins

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
you'd probably have to take the Ryder Cup into account when looking at this? Scenario specific and I dont know what Leonard's record is in the RC, but it is what sits at the top of Westwoods career I'd have thought.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Majors are the pinnacle. When someone describes Justin Rose for example, do they say 25-time event winner? No, they typically just say 'major winner'. You only get the number of event wins brought up if you haven't won a major. Majors always come first.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Really depends how you look at it, to be remembered it’s a Major, but I don’t think a Golfer’s career should be summed up in such a way.

Many Golfers have had fantastic successful careers without winning a Major and, imo, it is wrong to some how use the lack of a Major as defining their career.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I thought I'd choose the major hands down, but I'm reconsidering now

There's somewhat of a financial parity to both these guys in their winnings so its the one-off experience of winning a Major V's the number of times you get to experience that 'winning feeling' and we know in golf even the very very best will lose far more often than they win

Still mulling it...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not like Leonard was rubbish though, I'm not sure why he's the example. He also won the Players plus ten other PGA events. He top-tenned in the Masters twice and the PGA six times.

The usual example for this is Todd Hamilton isn't it? 😂 Perhaps in that case I'd rather be Westwood than Hamilton.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think between those two I'm swayed slightly to take Westwood achievements as 'my career'

The clincher was, for every time Leonard can be introduced as a former Open winner, Westwood can be introduced as former world No1 (& all the other accolades)

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I think between those two I'm swayed slightly to take Westwood achievements as 'my career'

The clincher was, for every time Leonard can be introduced as a former Open winner, Westwood can be introduced as former world No1 (& all the other accolades)

So is being world number one seen higher than winning The Open or any major ?

Now if it was for a significant period then maybe but a couple of months ?

PaulMdj

Visit site
So is being world number one seen higher than winning The Open or any major ?

Now if it was for a significant period then maybe but a couple of months ?
Why is it we always use Westwood or Monty? Do Yanks have this same discussion about any of their Golfers that won plenty on Tour but never a Major?