Shoulders at impact?

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering what position your shoulders should be in at impact (open, square) as I've heard a couple of different theories.

I've got the Tom watson DVD and in the chapter named "the secret" he talks about having the feeling of the shoulders open.

I've also heard from another pro that the shoulders should feel more square at impact but have the hips rotate more open.
I've had some success with both but I know its not ideal switching between the two.

Any thoughts from the experts on here?

Many thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My advice (and James will probably disagree as usual) is to look at you tube and watch the top players in slow motion.
They are probably doing it right.
If they are all different, then I guess it doesn't matter

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My advice (and James will probably disagree as usual) is to look at you tube and watch the top players in slow motion.

Good advice Bob :ears::ears::ears:

Pro's are approx 0-20° open with shoulders and 20-40° open with hips..... there's a margin for error so you need to find what suits your game, your physique, and the shot you are trying to play

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Good advice Bob :ears::ears::ears:

Pro's are approx 0-20° open with shoulders and 20-40° open with hips..... there's a margin for error so you need to find what suits your game, your physique, and the shot you are trying to play

Dam, you're up early.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
what do you advise when you teach Bob or is it more down to the individual and what works best for them?

thanks in advance (I know you like manners ;) )

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
what do you advise when you teach Bob or is it more down to the individual and what works best for them?

thanks in advance (I know you like manners ;) )

I always teach the individual.
If their shoulders follow their hips too closely, the chances are the club will be thrown to the outside and an out in swing path will be the result

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks is bob, james. I've had A look of some swings on YouTube and most of their shoulders are open but only very slightly. Some swings they even look square-ish.
When I was trying to get my right shoulder round more at impact I Occasionally got the club stuck behind and blocked it right

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's better if you consider getting the left shoulder to do the turning (pulling the right shoulder) rather than the right shoulder pushing the left. All you have to do then is make sure the arms can keep up!!!! :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it depends on your swing type. Some people square the face with body rotation and others with wrist and arm rotation.

If you are more of a person that keeps the clubface square to the swingpath then you need to turn the torso and shoulders more through impact to square the clubface.