Trackman - how accurate is it?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Played Royal St. George's today on the Trackman. Superb graphics & real fun. However, in normal play I consistently hit my short irons left, that is, with feet, hips & shoulders all square to the target line, the ball invariably goes around 20° left. This is not a problem on the course, I simply line up 20° right of target & hit a lot of shots in the right direction. I've tried to diagnose this fault & I'm pretty sure I close the clubface just before impact. I'm working on a "right hand throw" but at the moment I'm just living with it. Today, on the Trackman, all the short irons were going right. The three folks I was playing with told me it was because I was aiming right, which I was. As soon as I started lining up on the target the ball started going straight. Also, I was having to take one club less to hit the greens. I know my distances with the irons quite well & I was consistently 10 to 15 yards longer.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Last edited:

Teebs

Visit site
The distance issue is because TrackMan will be using perfect conditions (which we never play in, when you consider temperature, wind, humidity and other weather based factors).

TM is very good at giving you repeatable conditions to measure changes without other factors being taken into account. I used it recently at a fitting where there was a 25mph left to right wind and had to trust TM as opposed to where the actual ball finished on the range..

I guess there's an alignment issue for the other bit of the question when facing a screen compared to on the course.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The distance issue is because TrackMan will be using perfect conditions (which we never play in, when you consider temperature, wind, humidity and other weather based factors).

TM is very good at giving you repeatable conditions to measure changes without other factors being taken into account. I used it recently at a fitting where there was a 25mph left to right wind and had to trust TM as opposed to where the actual ball finished on the range..

I guess there's an alignment issue for the other bit of the question when facing a screen compared to on the course.
Point 1 - possibly.

Point 2 - definitely not. Went to the range today & paid special attention to lining up. All my wedges, all my 8 irons & most 6 irons went left, as usual.

Here's my theory. My lie angle is flat, I can't get clubs with a flat enough lie angle - reckon I need about 6°. Does Trackman assume that, at address, the club is square to the target line? If its shut, i.e. pointing left at address & the same at impact does Trackman think I've hit it straight. Or does it pick up the ball flight, in which case it should have seen it going left.

Interesting article here https://blog.trackmangolf.com/club-...tly measures the 3D,back type of irons/wedges.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I consistently hit my short irons left, that is, with feet, hips & shoulders all square to the target line, the ball invariably goes around 20° left. This is not a problem on the course, I simply line up 20° left of target & hit a lot of shots in the right direction.

How come if you aim at the target and the ball goes left, if you aim left the ball goes straight to the target?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Point 1 - possibly.

Point 2 - definitely not. Went to the range today & paid special attention to lining up. All my wedges, all my 8 irons & most 6 irons went left, as usual.

Here's my theory. My lie angle is flat, I can't get clubs with a flat enough lie angle - reckon I need about 6°. Does Trackman assume that, at address, the club is square to the target line? If its shut, i.e. pointing left at address & the same at impact does Trackman think I've hit it straight. Or does it pick up the ball flight, in which case it should have seen it going left.

Interesting article here https://blog.trackmangolf.com/club-...tly measures the 3D,back type of irons/wedges.

Maybe it’s the result of having long arms and short legs, coupled with not enough side bend 😂

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if you are using Trackman indoor, are you using the specific balls? Trackman can have an issue with tracking flight indoors, which is why Titleist developed the RCT ball. If you saw any numbers on ball/club data, then if it was in italics, then Trackman is somewhat guessing/calculating, rather than reading the actual data.

It also very much depends where Trackman's 'aim' is. This is adjustable in the software, and should be configured before every session, even if the unit doesn't move.

peld

Visit site
Obviously depends on the set up but distances on Trackman are always juiced although consistent. Always laughable when you see people on social media talking about distance and looking at trackman

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
if you are using Trackman indoor, are you using the specific balls? Trackman can have an issue with tracking flight indoors, which is why Titleist developed the RCT ball. If you saw any numbers on ball/club data, then if it was in italics, then Trackman is somewhat guessing/calculating, rather than reading the actual data.

It also very much depends where Trackman's 'aim' is. This is adjustable in the software, and should be configured before every session, even if the unit doesn't move.
Were just using ordinary balls but everyone else's shots were going where they aimed so I think it was a problem particular to me. I'll suggest the Titleist balls to the club who run the simulator.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Something ive found using simulators indoors, is the matts make a huge difference with alignment.

Something i see on the course and range, is how most golfers set up off target, probably a sub conscious way of correcting. When your indoors with wall, and lines on the floor, many people set up improves.

Similarly, i wouldnt be amazed if trackman doesnt have a level of correction built in. Ive never seen anyone using a trackman painstakingly set it up perpendicular to target lines etc. So i wouldnt be surprised if it detects a dead straigh shot going 5 yards left, it may just assume thats the intended line and correct for it?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Something ive found using simulators indoors, is the matts make a huge difference with alignment.

Something i see on the course and range, is how most golfers set up off target, probably a sub conscious way of correcting. When your indoors with wall, and lines on the floor, many people set up improves.

Similarly, i wouldnt be amazed if trackman doesnt have a level of correction built in. Ive never seen anyone using a trackman painstakingly set it up perpendicular to target lines etc. So i wouldnt be surprised if it detects a dead straigh shot going 5 yards left, it may just assume thats the intended line and correct for it?
As above, it was only me who was affected & the other participants confirmed that I was aiming right, as I do on the course & at the range. As far as aim is concerned, when at the range I always line up parallel to the mat & note where the ball goes. It always goes left. On the course I choose a point one to two feet in front of the ball as my aim point &, as at the range, the ball goes left. Convinced that it's a Trackman problem.

As far as exaggerated distances is concerned, this is no use if you're trying to work out how far each club goes.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It’s ISS! Indoor Simulator Syndrome making you pull it slightly. The most common causes are the mat not lining you up to the picture on the screen or you moving ahead of the ball to see what happens. Also remember at 20° left is nothing when you look at a protractor and all TM is doing is multiply upwards.

the best test is to get a laser pointer and shoot it to a point on the screen that’s exactly parallel and then aim to hit that spot.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It’s ISS! Indoor Simulator Syndrome making you pull it slightly. The most common causes are the mat not lining you up to the picture on the screen or you moving ahead of the ball to see what happens. Also remember at 20° left is nothing when you look at a protractor and all TM is doing is multiply upwards.

the best test is to get a laser pointer and shoot it to a point on the screen that’s exactly parallel and then aim to hit that spot.
I don't buy that at all. For a start I was hitting them right, not pulling them & the other two players confirmed that the ball, on the screen, was going exactly where I was aiming.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Irons going left for me in the past was a combination of having GI irons with too much offset (I Changed them for players irons, half the offset) & having the ball too far forward in the stance.
I now hit everything out of the middle.