Should this have been a non-qualifier

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We played a comp at the weekend that was the player versus the course. The course always scores par, so a nett birdie (or better) is a win, a nett par is a half and anything else is a loss.

In the email for the draw, the comp secretary added the following text:

Please pick up your ball if you cannot score at least a nett par as you have already lost the hole. This will help speed up play, thank you!

A sensible suggestion and something I invoked far too many times.... Anyway results came out and I saw that the comp has counted towards handicaps (I got 0.1 back), but I thought that was perhaps a little odd because of the instruction to pick up if you can't score a nett par.

Take the following scenarios:

Player A has the equivalent of 36 pts over the past 17 holes and is on the 18th green. His nett par putt misses and settles a foot away. Knowing he has now 'lost' the hole he knocks the ball away in anger, even though that 1 pt (had he sunk the short putt back) would have meant he scored 37 pts as well as being 1dn against the course.

Conversely, same situation but the player is 1 pt outside buffer. He now gets a 0.1 back when he could have made buffer and stayed the same had he recorded a net bogey on his card rather than NR.

The handicap secretary said the handicap adjustment table shows that 2up is the same as 38 points and 7 down is the same as 29 points etc, so he uses that to adjust, rather than stableford, but I don't really understand how that is right based on the 2 scenarios I have described above?

Is that just how it is done in these comps or should they be NQ? A player could in theory score 27pts on the front 9 and be 9 up, lose the next 8 but not hole out even though he had 8 tap ins for a pt so is still on 27 pts by the 17th, then win the final hole with 4 pts. His actual stableford "score" based on his card is 31pts (27 + 8 NRs + 4). His match against the course has him on 2up and thus is recorded as the equivalent of 38 pts. However, if he had holed out all the short putts for the points as would be expected in a normal stableford round he'd actually be on 39pts (27 + 8 + 4).

Just seems odd to me.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
That was a Par (sometimes called Bogey) competition, we have one this week, they are perfectly acceptable as a handicap qualifier and are covered in the Congu manual.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an aside I do agree with you, in last weeks medal I finished 7 over SSS but would have scored 33 stableford points, which is outside my buffer, but if it had been a par competition I would have been 2 down and in my buffer.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My contacts agree that the resultant handicap adjustments can be 'odd' to say the least. They suggest off the record they should not be played as Qualifiers.
The problem has been discussed at CONGU but the WWHS has overtaken them. They are very popular in Ireland it seems but very few are recorded in the England CDH.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a Par/Bogey competition, the medal/strokeplay score is irrelevant. There is a table in the CONGU manual which converts the Par/Bogey scores into Nett Differentials which is what is used to determine any handicap adjustments.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
My contacts agree that the resultant handicap adjustments can be 'odd' to say the least. They suggest off the record they should not be played as Qualifiers.
The problem has been discussed at CONGU but the WWHS has overtaken them. They are very popular in Ireland it seems but very few are recorded in the England CDH.

We played 9 Bogey competitions last year which is about our average. Personally I find them a refreshing change from medals and stablefords as you do have to approach the playing of a hole with a different mindset.

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We had one this weekend. First time I had played one....

One of my 3 ball didn't get it at all. So we played it as a medal.. Scores into HDID and it worked it out for you..

No need to pick up as pace of play is very rarely a problem at our course..

I kept track all way round and informed the lads, if they wanted to know, how they were getting on...

I ended 3 down, thankfully in buffer as I was on 18.4 and really didnt want to go up one.

The fella who didnt get it at all won the bloody thing 4 up... And got a well deserved HC cut...

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a par competition last year two of our players got the concept but not how to record it in the card. All the card showed were won, lost or halved, no gross scores at all, Despite a big notice saying you must record your gross.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yep , we have these every other Wednesday through the season, though i never play in them as i hate the format

We call it a bogey medal

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are vibes that suggest that par/bogey will be removed from the handicap system as presently handled. They may be treated differently (ie based on gross per hole) when the WWHS materialises