Should the Ryder Cup revert to GB&I?

B

birdieman

YES YES YES, Have said this for years, Sam Ryder intended it to be GB&I v USA. I have no more affinity for Spain or Sweden or Germany or France than I do for the USA, in fact I'd prefer the USA to those lot.
Whenever there is a Major on I hate when the commentators talk about a European winning as if it should mean something to us. In no sport other than golf are we supposed to root for a European. Don't care if a European wins. I care if a Brit or irishman wins. Us Scots are mainly Celts too and I can relate to the Irish even if they have a different passport to me.

The only European golfer of note was the great Seve Ballesteros. He was a one off, that alone wasn't a good enough reason to change the teams in the RC.

I know it will never happen but GB&I v USA is how it's meant to be.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
NO NO NO, I'm surprised the question was ever thought of!

It may have started as GB&I, but we are now in the 21st century and are part of Europe. It's not always who has the most points, but more who are the best team players IMHO.

Golfmmad.

ball_basher

Assistant Pro
Visit site
boyo you need your brain testing , the ryder cup simply would not be the same without the euros , we owe them a lot , the history the passion the flair , thanks to them the ryder cup is well and truly ALIVE ....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It should be just GB & I but if it hadn't been for the addition of the Euros there wouldn't be a Ryder Cup. The Yanks would have got bored winning all the time and dropped RC in favour of the Presidents Cup. While the Euros are included the Yanks know they're in for a fight. This time around most of the team may well be GB & I but next time it could be mostly Euro.