Should tee-pegs be compulsory?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greenskeeper, if you're out there.
What's your view on not using tee pegs off the tee, especially in winter.

My view is that it's a major factor in the rest of us having to use temporaries - and I hate them.

B

birdieman

Viscount, just because you use a tee-peg for an iron off the tee on a par 3 doesn't mean you shouldn't take a divot. You should strike an iron on the downwsing so even with the use of a tee-peg you will take a divot, albeit a bigger one when the turf is sodden in winter.
Just play off the mats and be glad you can play at all, unlike me in the chilly north.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your argument is that by not using tee pegs the grass tees are messed up and therefore we all get put on temp' tees, then I agree.
However, the grass tees are going to get muddy and wrecked anyway. Also, on short holes most of us are going to take a small divot even with a tee peg (you know, with 8,9 irons).

The only possible compromise would be to have a grass winter tee (somewhere away from the normal tee areas), accepting it's going to get untidy and repairing it in the spring....seems like a lot of work.

Dave

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A number of pros have told me you should use a tee peg on even the shortest par 3s. They say you should use any help you can get and that most people who hit iron shots off the deck are deluding themselves. Why make the game harder?

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello All
Firstly, Merry Christmas and all that.

I agree tee pegs should be compulsory, however all year as they make little difference to the winter tees. I agree with golfdonkey, you should always use a tee peg anyway. I also agree with viscount17, I hate teeing off mats.

Winter golf is massively important nowadays, we are certainly playing more than ever. Courses drain better, greens and generally courses play better and waterproof clothing is better than ever before, allowing us to enjoy winter golf more. Yet we still play of tee mats.

Why shouldn’t clubs invest in winter grass tees? I believe we should and personally I do. Apart from the initial building cost the maintenance in rather minimal. When constructing new Tees, I make them big enough/ long enough to accommodate winter play. Get the committee to put their hands in the pockets.

All the best

B

birdieman

Greenkeeeper, can you come and work at our Club please? Your attitude is refreshingly positive!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
have to say at Royal Ascot we are extremely lucky and haven't had to use mats at all yet. They invested in a lot of drainage work on the tees during the summer and although we still have the lines through the tee boxes where the piping went it is easy enough to tee up around it.

The tee boxes are in good knick (even the whites - we are allowed to use white or yellow at any time) and seem to be standing up to the frost and rain before that.

Perhaps I'm just lucky at my club

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
A number of pros have told me you should use a tee peg on even the shortest par 3s. They say you should use any help you can get and that most people who hit iron shots off the deck are deluding themselves. Why make the game harder?

Um, dare I say it.....(oh yes, go on then)

SPOT ON! the worst that can happen if you put it on a small tee is that is comes out the middle of the face....ohh that's dangerous :)....dropping the ball in any old place and trying to look like a hero doesn't impress me much.

I haven't missed a par 3 in 3 rounds now.....maybe I should hit it off the deck, miss a few and play like a real 12 handicapper!!!

Dave

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with Greenkeeper all courses should have winter grass tee's insted of mats.
We have asked about this at my course for the last 2 years but it's always the same answer "would be too expensive".
I played on Sunday morning and every one of us were slipping all over the place on the mats when driving.