Should I get another wedge(s) ? (beginner with just a PW)

TimmyO

Visit site
I bought an old set of clubs from a friend and they just have a pitching wedge - another friend is going to take me out on the local 9-hole course this week or next and I'm wondering if I should also have a sand wedge? Most folk look to have 3 wedges in their sets is that right?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would stick with one wedge and learn how to hit a variety of shots with it.
Then at a later date, maybe get a SW.
Others however will tell you you need at least 3

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would suggest that much will depend on what the PW is in terms of its sole.
If it's just another iron in the set with a similar sole you may benefit in getting a wedge designed to work from green side bunkers (Assuming that they have a depth of soft sand...). Typically this would be a sand wedge SW.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It very much depends on how old the clubs are.

The actual loft on a club has changed on a lot over the past 20 years or so.

If the PW is a modern wedge around 46 degrees then answer has to be yes to a second wedge and going for a 54/56 wedge is sufficient for now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry 4 wedges now . 46/50/56/60.
The loft on modern clubs are very strong.
A sand wedge will really help from bunkers .
But it’s not absolutely vital ,you can learn lots of shots with one wedge ( al a Seve)
Just experiment.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
47* apparently (after some aggressive Googling)
What's the make of the clubs you have?
Your PW is at least 2° stronger than most and probably doesn't have much bounce - bounce helps the club get through the sand in bunkers.
I'd get a 54/56° SW with a fairly wide sole.

TimmyO

Visit site
What's the make of the clubs you have?
Your PW is at least 2° stronger than most and probably doesn't have much bounce - bounce helps the club get through the sand in bunkers.
I'd get a 54/56° SW with a fairly wide sole.

Ah seems it's actually 49* (the clubs are a mix of Nike NDS and Forged and I looked up the wrong one initially - it's a Nike Forged PW - the sole looks the same as the other irons to my untrained eye

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I did the same thing as yourself. Started with a set of irons, bag, and putter, then added a 56° Wilson Staff SW for £40 from AG. Does the job for me and still in the bag over a year later.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I recommend two.

One around the 56* mark with plenty of bounce to to suit your regular bunkers.

Another around the 52/50 mark depending on the shortest club of your iron set. Some people like to get this one with a bit of a cavity but I would only recommend that for 48* and less lofts.

My lowest loft iron from my set is 47, my first wedge is 52 and second 56.

I feel that extra degree of loft (5) as 4 would be better but I just learnt to hit lots of shots with the shortest club from my iron set as well as with the 52 which is my main wedge.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Assuming you haven't played that much (if at all), I wouldn't worry too much. At 49deg your PW will be as effective as you need at short range.

It'll be fine for a putting stroke bump and run from the greenside, and won't be any more random for bunker shots than a "proper" sand wedge.

bm

TimmyO

Visit site
Assuming you haven't played that much (if at all), I wouldn't worry too much. At 49deg your PW will be as effective as you need at short range.

It'll be fine for a putting stroke bump and run from the greenside, and won't be any more random for bunker shots than a "proper" sand wedge.

bm

thanks

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A sand wedge would certainly be useful. 47° PW might not be great for getting out of high greenside bunkers.

Later on when you're more consistent you may look to add a gap wedge in between them as well. But firstly I'd just get the SW.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I carry 4 wedges now . 46/50/56/60.
The loft on modern clubs are very strong.
A sand wedge will really help from bunkers .
But it’s not absolutely vital ,you can learn lots of shots with one wedge ( al a Seve)
Just experiment.

I carry 4 a well, the wedge from the P790's, 50* 56* 60* I just changed 2 of mine and did away with a 64* Sureout as the 60* is much more versatile