Should I bend the left arm?

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Morning Lords and Ladies.

I had a lesson about a month ago and he told me not to bend my left arm on the backswing. It feels quite unnatural but I was getting more control when doing it, although I was still taking a bit too much Earth at times.

Last night I played with the Junior Captain at the club who plays off 8. He told me that you're fine to bend the arm. So I did, just slightly and it felt alot more natural and I was striking the ball better more consistantly.

What I want to know is which one is correct?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You want to know if a PGA pro is right or a junior off 8?
Take a look at the top players and see what they do.
Most are either straight or a fraction flexed but not many are bent.
Here's a couple to get you started
Rory

Image3.jpg

Tiger

Image4.jpg

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks Bob. I very much expected this to open a debate as to what most people do, but it would seem a straight left arm is a must. Rory looks like he has an extra joint, how does he rotate that far?

Unbelievable.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I tactfully state that although a "naturally" straight left arm is ideal in a golf swing, you can enjoy the game and even get to single figure h'cap without such a blessing from the golfing gods that hand out an individuals physical attributes.

I was in the loo when they were handing out the straight left arms.

- - - - - - -

Last ever comment in ask the experts from me. I'm not an expert and never will be, but I do seem drawn to this part of the forum, maybe it's the kindness in my heart to people that are struggling and I can shed some light, purely from an experience point of view.

:)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Last ever comment in ask the experts from me.

Don't be silly, you make a good point.

Certainly if someone is learning to play then you would 'suggest' that they try to keep it straight (or 'as straight as possible') however it's not a prerequisite to have it locked ramrod straight, you hardly want it crooked at the elbow either. There's certainly some pros on tour that don't have a straight left arm.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Straight left arm does seem to be the 'modern' way, but a small amount of flex seems to be deemed OK.

My coach suggested that I (so may not be relevant to others) feel a stretch of the left side of the left wrist, which will extend/straighten the arm 'naturally' rather than trying to lock my left elbow - which restricts wrist-cock.

Your 'conflicting advice' is really a communication issue btw. Best to have a straight left arm, but not essential, so 'fine'!

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I reworked my swing at the start of the year the pro wasn't too concerned that I didn't have a straight left arm throughout. Slightly kinked seemed OK; there were bigger issues to address!

As I've played more and practised throughout the year I can definitely state that the straighter I'm able to keep it the better I hit the ball but it's still never poker straight.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ladies tend to have some physical 'problems' that restrict the ability to have a straight left arm during a back-swing!:whistle:

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm in the middle of fixing the same problem and all I'll say is expect to gain yards as that's what I've been getting with a straight left arm. It does feel very unnatural at first but so does any swing change.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I suffered from a bent left arm, changed firstly to a straight arm and the results were amazing on all shots

Next tried the straight left arm and connected feel tops of arms kept tight against chest and this was a disaster !

So relaxed feel but straight arm as best i can

Note people who struggle with full backswings tend to let the arm breakdown in an effort to make a full turn

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would it not be the case that you can only get a straight left arm if you turn on the backswing enough to allow the left arm to straighten.