Should holes that are adjacent by classed as out of bounds?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had this when we first opened and our 14th is a par 4 with the 15th going back the other way. By teeing off 15 and going down 14 it makes it a much shorter hole (15 is designed as a dog leg, forcing a second over trouble and a large bunker 60 yards short if you go for it in two). They put an internal OOB in to stop players hitting towards oncoming and usually oblivious golfers coming the other way. I've no idea why they took it out but with several near misses moaned about in recent weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back at some point from a safety perspective

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But you played the 14th and 15th and know how dangerous that could be. Would you not invoke it on a H&S aspect and reduce the chance of liability and injury

How many actually play deliberately down the 14th? If you do, you generally have a long shot over the trees/rough which is almost impossible or you play your second down 14 but that has a ditch, is generally a rubbish place to lay up. It is much easier to play 15 the way it should be played. All it does is penalise wayward shots from those who didn't mean it.

If players are deliberately playing down 14 when people are coming the other way they are stupid and need talking to.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From a common sense viewpoint, surely if the majority are playing it onto the wrong fairway then something needs to be done? That's not how the course is intended, and it almost feels like cheating to me. Not to mention slowing the play while you wait for people who are on that fairway to pass. Either make it out of bounds or put a big old tree in the way so it isn't possible.

A big tree is a better solution

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How many actually play deliberately down the 14th? If you do, you generally have a long shot over the trees/rough which is almost impossible or you play your second down 14 but that has a ditch, is generally a rubbish place to lay up. It is much easier to play 15 the way it should be played. All it does is penalise wayward shots from those who didn't mean it.

If players are deliberately playing down 14 when people are coming the other way they are stupid and need talking to.

Most of the single figure guys (and others) have taken to going this way with the run on the ball and are hitting it to the trees on 14 and leaving about 175-190 left. It's becoming a more common problem and one the club has been reluctant to tackle but the pace of play in comps is being affected as some have to wait for 14 to be a safe area to hit into

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most of the single figure guys (and others) have taken to going this way with the run on the ball and are hitting it to the trees on 14 and leaving about 175-190 left. It's becoming a more common problem and one the club has been reluctant to tackle but the pace of play in comps is being affected as some have to wait for 14 to be a safe area to hit into

175 to 190 over those trees/ rough is still a tough shot. I wouldn't want it.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I hit 3 wood well and am not long and its the difference between making it reachable a lot of the time or it not being reachable, cuts off at least 25 yards going down 14 at RA. Should be very proficient from 190odd when playing RA regularly as you have that shot so often due to the layout of the course and the pinch points/ditch crossings compared to elsewhere

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hit 3 wood well and am not long and its the difference between making it reachable a lot of the time or it not being reachable, cuts off at least 25 yards going down 14 at RA

I played there long enough to know that it isn't a shot I'd fancy. Besides, if you can hit a shot straight enough to get it on to 14, hit it straight down 15 instead. There are no trees to go over then

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Sometimes, there is a good case to be made, but while very rarely seen, I think designating such areas a (though totally dry) lateral water hazard a better solution. More reasonable in its score impact as a punishment for those crossing the internal boundary by mistake, and provides more than sufficient discouragement for those who might otherwise choose to go that way, to do so.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sometimes, there is a good case to be made, but while very rarely seen, I think designating such areas a (though totally dry) lateral water hazard a better solution. More reasonable in its score impact as a punishment for those crossing the internal boundary by mistake, and provides more than sufficient discouragement for those who might otherwise choose to go that way, to do so.

So you can still go and play it as it lies without a penalty?

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site

Designating a non-water area a water hazard isn't currently permissible under the Rules of Golf, but I know that many courses do so. Under the proposed changes this will be allowed.

However, as it is permissible to play from a water hazard this wouldn't do anything to prevent players playing into other holes.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
After reading this thread I thought struck me, so I popped down to the club to try out something. We have a tough two holes together 12/13. My thought was to attempt top smash the ball from 12 tee on to 13 fairway over some BIG trees. I did it. It made my second to the green easier. Ditto 13, slight dog leg left, easy if you can draw the ball, but who can do that?, but an easy smash on to 12. Tough second back over BIG trees but if you get right out on 12 it's possible. Did it, took two goes though. Dare I try it in competition??????????????

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aside from any other concerns, there is certainly a safety issue with playing down the wrong hole on a busy day. I know a few of our team players play down our tenth fairway when playing the 9th hole to take some bunkers out of the equation but that is normally only during matches when the course is almost empty. Doing that during a busy weekend comp is just asking for trouble. I can also see an impact on pace of play as groups on 2 separate holes are waiting for people to play shots.

D

Deleted member 21258

Have never liked courses that have internal OOB or one when you are wayward you end up on another fairway.

However if another fairway provides a better or shorter way of playing a hole, then I would say an internal OOB is a must and plant some trees(assuming parkland) that will stop it happening and remove it over time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a lot of courses where holes run adjacent and can see the health and safety issues especially when a course is busy. Some holes/courses there can be a distinct advantage but most golfers seem to have a degree of integrity and play it the right way and thus protect the other players. Tends to be more in competitions when the temptation is greatest