Should holes that are adjacent by classed as out of bounds?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 3rd at Whickham par 5, dog leg right, 2nd shot is blind stroke through narrow gap, old quarry and no shot if you go down there, tis as good as a penalty drop to the left and tall trees to the right, you have to thread the needle as it were to make the green, most people lay up in front of the quarry and try for the green in three. The other option from the tee is to play back up the 2nd, takes the quarry out of play and you hit a high shot over the trees or to the right of the trees back over the 2nd tee box.

Should you be able to take an easier option playing back up an adjacent hole, as there are less obstacles? Or should there be out of bound markers that effectively force you to play the hole on the correct fairway?

2nd3rdwgc.jpg

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Possibly they should if the usual shot is going to be down the wrong fairway, potentially endangering other players.
The odd shot down the wrong fairway isn't an issue but if everyone's going that way then it's an option that should be countered
I don't really like internal OOB...to me it kind of shows a flaw in the design.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 3rd at Whickham par 5, dog leg right, 2nd shot is blind stroke through narrow gap, old quarry and no shot if you go down there, tis as good as a penalty drop to the left and tall trees to the right, you have to thread the needle as it were to make the green, most people lay up in front of the quarry and try for the green in three. The other option from the tee is to play back up the 2nd, takes the quarry out of play and you hit a high shot over the trees or to the right of the trees back over the 2nd tee box.

Should you be able to take an easier option playing back up an adjacent hole, as there are less obstacles? Or should there be out of bound markers that effectively force you to play the hole on the correct fairway?

We have a similar situation at our dogleg right 4th hole . Big hitters can cut the corner over the 3rd fairway but it is OOBs all the way, if they don't make it.
It's also a health and safety issue, as your hitting into players coming towards you down the 3rd, and could cost you £10,000 if you hit someone. :eek:

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you do have internal oob, a couple of holes at the old course would have to be played differant.
Played Goswick last year and put one down the rhs on the first hole. Got to the ball and PP said its oob. Eh, I could not believe it. Was not impressed.
Not a lover of internal oob.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

View attachment 22923

Khamelion out of interest, what is the green that you are driving over with the bunkers surrounding it

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
13th at Runcorn has the same problem, zero advantage going down the correct fairway. Very difficult drive with trees right, OB left which the fairway runs towards. If you can clear the tall tree to the right of the tee, going down the 12th fairway is the best shot. Leaves you with a 9iron in at worse.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Always thought it was bad course design if there is an option to use another hole easily.

Should be obstacles like trees near the tee to stop you taking a different fairway as your line.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first course I was a member of shared the first and second fairways but in opposite directions and the second green was shared with the 15th. Interesting

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
9 replies and no one answering the question?? Show you it's a tricky one.

1st at Aintree is 550 yards, so driver a must. Oob left. 9th hole to the right, playing a bit longer but much safer. I always aim right hoping for a draw, but not to fussed if it stays out there. Internal ob would make for a bugger of an opening drive

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
We have a long dogleg par5 where the better players sometimes choose the option to play over the adjacent par 4 instead, keeping the hole a bit shorter, giving them a chance to go for the green in 2, but it requires a very long and precise tee shot to get there, over water and a group of very large trees and what then becomes the landing zone has a bunker and some more water next to it, so the difficulty level is rather high. In that case I think an internal oob is not neccessary, it is a good risk/reward option (even though it can be a bit annoying for the players coming up the 15th). But I'd say on holes where playing over another fairway does really make it easier, an internal oob line is a good solution.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not a fan of internal OOB but obviously necessary on some courses for safety and if the hole is often not played as intended (players routinely using wrong fairway) then white stake it seems logical

As an aside, the pic in the OP, isn't that green lying directly in the path of the par 5 tee shot not a huge issue?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
9 replies and no one answering the question??

No, never. Surely some tree planting, deep bunkers or thick rough could solve the problem. We have the opposite problem. Our 16th is a dog leg right & when the pin is at the back, especially, the best drive is left onto the practice ground, which is not OOB. In my view this should not be possible. I see nothing wrong with making the practice ground OOB.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Khamelion out of interest, what is the green that you are driving over with the bunkers surrounding it

The pic from google maps is a little out of date. The course was changed 2yrs ago, and prior to the 3rd being a par 5 (blue line) it was a par 3 to the green you see on the map. The old 4th then played past the quarry, the tee box you can see to the right of the green next to the road.

The bunkers have long since been removed and the green returned to rough. I believe the guy who redesigned the course is due to come back to change the layout of the 3rd, though I don't see why. The only change I'd make would be to use the old 3rd Par 3 tee box for a competition tee which would add around 30 to 50yds

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, never. Surely some tree planting, deep bunkers or thick rough could solve the problem. We have the opposite problem. Our 16th is a dog leg right & when the pin is at the back, especially, the best drive is left onto the practice ground, which is not OOB. In my view this should not be possible. I see nothing wrong with making the practice ground OOB.

I added a pic to my original post, coming down the 2nd (red line) there is no advantage playing anywhere but down the intended 2nd fairway, any sliced or hooked shots would generally put you in a worse place when playing for the 2nd green. However when playing the 3rd (blue line), if there is no one coming down the 2nd, there is an advantage playing your 3rd hole tee shot back up the 2nd fairway, leaving your 2nd into the green a little easier with less risk of being penalised if you hit a bad shot.

In this instance and as per my question, would it be better to have OOB down the right only for those playing the 3rd hole, with it being made known by local rule.

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
If dangerous then maybe but internal OOB wouldn't stop people getting hit. However, it would stop the deliberate tactic of hitting the wrong fairway which IMO is wrong & something I would never intentionally do.

D

Deleted Member 1156

1st at Aintree is 550 yards, so driver a must.

Interesting Dave. At 550 yards it is out of reach in 2 for most people so could argue why hit driver anyway? 3 wood, 3 wood, wedge could be the way to go?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a few places would have at least though about H&S and implemented this, there are some courses its not a option like The Old Cours

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From a common sense viewpoint, surely if the majority are playing it onto the wrong fairway then something needs to be done? That's not how the course is intended, and it almost feels like cheating to me. Not to mention slowing the play while you wait for people who are on that fairway to pass. Either make it out of bounds or put a big old tree in the way so it isn't possible.