Shot Tracer App?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is anyone using this on their phones? I see it costs £5.50 but it states 'early access' and it's in development so no reviews or anything. I thought it had been going for quite a while though. :unsure:

Anyone use it? Is this the app that various YouTube golfers use or is there another one?

sjw

Visit site
Is anyone using this on their phones? I see it costs £5.50 but it states 'early access' and it's in development so no reviews or anything. I thought it had been going for quite a while though. :unsure:

Anyone use it? Is this the app that various YouTube golfers use or is there another one?
I assume the iphone version is better than the Android. The (vast majority of) YouTube channels will use the PC version (from the same developers), which has much better tracking and can account for the camera moving (like when Rick Shiels etc zoom in on a green and the line stays in the same place in space)

I have paid for the app, I've used it a handful of times, and it's never once successfully tracked the ball. I've always had to draw the line on afterwards. Bit of fun for the price of a cup of coffee.

EDIT: Just so we're on the same page, this is the one I have

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume the iphone version is better than the Android. The (vast majority of) YouTube channels will use the PC version (from the same developers), which has much better tracking and can account for the camera moving (like when Rick Shiels etc zoom in on a green and the line stays in the same place in space)

I have paid for the app, I've used it a handful of times, and it's never once successfully tracked the ball. I've always had to draw the line on afterwards. Bit of fun for the price of a cup of coffee.

EDIT: Just so we're on the same page, this is the one I have
On Tubes Golf Life it looked like they used a phone for the Shot Tracer, could be wrong.

So you're telling me it's primary function doesn't actually work? That doesn't sound worth it.

I use a Samsung btw. Yes that is the app I was looking at.

sjw

Visit site
On Tubes Golf Life it looked like they used a phone for the Shot Tracer, could be wrong.

So you're telling me it's primary function doesn't actually work? That doesn't sound worth it.

I use a Samsung btw. Yes that is the app I was looking at.
They do use a phone, they might well use the app. They might also do the processing on the PC afterwards, though. Not sure.

sjw

Visit site
I've got a few here that I've done, they don't take long but I had to edit them all. Pretty outcomes, at least

Honestly, I don't know how they think they're ever going to make it reliable - if you can't see the ball in the video (it's a few pixels) then the camera-based system won't be able to see it either. Also, if you can't see the ball flight, then the creator could just draw the line wherever they want...

Another EDIT: These were taken with a 360 action cam and therefore cropped to this size. A phone would yield better quality video

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’ve used it for a few years. It will sometime track the ball accurately but quite often they do need editing to get them correct.
You can actually use the app on your pc by downloading a programme called Bluestacks - it allows you to then run apps through your computer - but it isn’t a great option to using your phone.

For what it costs, the app is good value, but you need to spend a bit of time familiarising yourself with the functionality

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I use the same App as sjw, it doesn't always pick up the ball flight and even when it does it will often need a little tweaking, but for the money it's okay.

Using a phone camera, as you'd expect it works much better on a bright, clear, sunny day rather than a gloomy late afternoon!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've had it for a couple of years but never really used it in earnest. It may have been updated now but when I was using it I had to downgrade the videos to 1080i (4k on my phone) to be able to use it, which made it hard work as it made it less obvious as to where the ball actually was.

sjw

Visit site
I've had it for a couple of years but never really used it in earnest. It may have been updated now but when I was using it I had to downgrade the videos to 1080i (4k on my phone) to be able to use it, which made it hard work as it made it less obvious as to where the ball actually was.
Oh yeah, that was annoying. I remember thinking the same thing. Not sure why they imposed that limitation in an app where every pixel counts. However, I'm also not privy to what restrictions app developers have to work in. Maybe it's really inefficiently coded (probably) and 4K is just too much data to work with.