Shortening a putter

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My current putter is an Odyssey Works No7 cut down from 34 to 33" and fitted with a Super Stroke Slim 3.0 grip. I had to add several strips of Lead tape to make it 'feel' right and swing properly. I am only trying to give useful advice and I object to being slagged off by you!

Slagged off? Could you quote where I've "slagged you off"?

I too am offering what I consider useful advice. I happen to believe that your advice is not useful and is plain misinformation, that's my prerogative. You also have the right to believe I'm wrong.

It's called a difference of opinion, which we are all entitled to. And on the subject of opinion, it's my opinion that your statement about me "slagging you off" is moronic.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This expert thinks that many golfers play with putters that are too long for them:

http://puttingzone.com/MyTips/lengthlie.html

I have been shortening my putters for years. The important points are:
1) The total length of the putter should be about the same as your floor to wrist measurement.
2) The sole of the putter should sit squarely on the ground. Get the lie adjusted if necessary.
3) The swing weight should be at least D0. Add lead tape, or lead pellets in the head or shaft.

P.S. DIY method for swing weighting:

www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This expert thinks that many golfers play with putters that are too long for them:

http://puttingzone.com/MyTips/lengthlie.html

I have been shortening my putters for years. The important points are:
1) The total length of the putter should be about the same as your floor to wrist measurement.
2) The sole of the putter should sit squarely on the ground. Get the lie adjusted if necessary.
3) The swing weight should be at least D0. Add lead tape, or lead pellets in the head or shaft.

P.S. DIY method for swing weighting:

www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm

Here's the problem - with most putting grips, and putter grips, the player is able to choose where on the grip he grips.

As soon as he doesn't grip at the top of the grip the notional swing weight of the club isn't relevant to what he feels - in the case of your guy chopping 8 inches off its gripping the thing 8 inches further down that matters not any changes that result from chopping 8 inches off.

Most people will be more comfortable using a putter that feels similar in 'weight' to their other clubs - but there are top players out there who take things a long way from that norm (either very light or heavy headed) because that's what works for them.

There are also far far more important elements to the weighting of a putter head than swing weight. Where you add this lead tape will have huge consequences relative to how much.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi Duncan. How are you? The guy with the very short putter actually has some lead sheeting wrapped around the neck secured with gaffer tape. Agree that you can get used to very light or very heavy putters, but this is something else to possibly mess up your game. The other idea is, rather than shortening the putter, just fit a longer grip, then you can grip it wherever you feel comfortable.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
For the record, if you buy a Scotty Cameron putter, the shorter it is, the heavier the screw-in head weights that are supplied with it. So they obviously believe that correct swing weighting is important.

Last edited: