Shortening a putter

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently play with a putter at 33'' but after practising yesterday I think I could even get to 32''.

I've an old putter that I could take down to this length but wondering what I would need to do to balance this back up.

Assume I'd need to add more weight up at the grip end ?

Guess there's no hard and fast calculation for this, just a matter of what eventually 'feels' right.

Thoughts ?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Currently play with a putter at 33'' but after practising yesterday I think I could even get to 32''.

I've an old putter that I could take down to this length but wondering what I would need to do to balance this back up.

Guess there's no hard and fast calculation for this, just a matter of what eventually 'feels' right.

Thoughts ?
I normally shorten my putters, as most standard ones are a bit too long for me because I have relatively short legs and longish arms. I reckon that one's floor to wrist measurement is about the right total length. Cutting an inch or so off the butt end of the shaft won't make an awful lot of difference to the total weight of the putter, but will make a significant difference to the swing weight, so you may need to add weight to the head. Suggest you try it as it is after being cut down. If you think it feels too light, start adding lead tape to the head until it feels OK. You can also try counterbalancing with a heavy grip or weights in the butt end if you wish, but unless you are a bit yippy it probably won't help.

P.S. Another way or effectively making a putter shorter is to fit a longer than standard grip and grip down a bit more. Super Stroke make a 13 inch long grip called 'The Claw' which I have fitted to one of my putters,

Last edited:

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Thoughts ?

You will need to do zero.
If you cut the inch off, hold the cut off bit in your hand and feel how extremely light it is, then factor in all the variables with putting, then realise how irrelevant that tiny tiny bit of weight is.
I'm 6ft 2 using a 33 inch putter, if 32 or less suits you, ignore conventional wisdom and go for it.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You will need to do zero.
If you cut the inch off, hold the cut off bit in your hand and feel how extremely light it is, then factor in all the variables with putting, then realise how irrelevant that tiny tiny bit of weight is.
I'm 6ft 2 using a 33 inch putter, if 32 or less suits you, ignore conventional wisdom and go for it.

As you say, cutting an inch or two off the shaft will make almost no difference to the total weight of the putter, but it will significantly reduce its swing weight, probably by about 4 points per inch. This will make the club feel much lighter to swing, which may cause problems. One of my friends has cut his two-ball putter down to about 25" and had to tape some lead sheeting to the head to make it swing properly!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To keep swingweight constant you would need to add weight to the head. If you have a look at some spec sheets from manufacturers you will notice that the shorter the putter the more headweight it will have.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As you say, cutting an inch or two off the shaft will make almost no difference to the total weight of the putter, but it will significantly reduce its swing weight, probably by about 4 points per inch. This will make the club feel much lighter to swing, which may cause problems. One of my friends has cut his two-ball putter down to about 25" and had to tape some lead sheeting to the head to make it swing properly!

I think there's a big difference between cutting an inch off and your friend cutting off 8 inches.

Cutting off an inch will not make the club feel much lighter to swing, and will not cause problems
IMO

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have an adjustable length Ping Ketsch. There's nothing in the blurb which mentions fiddling with weight when shortening/lengthening the shaft. Ping being quite thorough, you would have thought that they'd have written about it if it was likely to be an issue.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think there's a big difference between cutting an inch off and your friend cutting off 8 inches.

Cutting off an inch will not make the club feel much lighter to swing, and will not cause problems
IMO

😃😃
Agree entirely. Reduction to 25inches is hardly a little trim
😃😃

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have an adjustable length Ping Ketsch. There's nothing in the blurb which mentions fiddling with weight when shortening/lengthening the shaft. Ping being quite thorough, you would have thought that they'd have written about it if it was likely to be an issue.

Well said. Personally I think it's a case of "a little knowledge is dangerous".
People are aware of swingweight, they therefore know that adjusting length can alter said swingweight.
However in reality, it makes absolutely zero difference.
As I said before, if people actually held the cut off piece of shaft in their hand they would realise that it weighs next to nothing.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
😃😃
Agree entirely. Reduction to 25inches is hardly a little trim
😃😃
The guy who uses that putter is a 6ft+ ex rugby player! I once chopped down an old Ping Anser putter from 36 to 30" and found that I had reduced its swing weight from D1 to A0, almost off the bottom of the scale. It was then impossibly light and twitchy to use! One of my vast collection of putters is an adjustable length Ping. I think it has some degree of counterbalancing to minimise the effect of length changes, but even that feels a bit light at the short end of the range. Swing weighting is a measure of the moment arm about a point near the bottom of the grip to the centre of mass of the putter, which is typically a point on the shaft about 4" above the head (the point at which you can balance the club on your finger). Reducing the shaft length has a disproportionally large effect on the swing weight.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well said. Personally I think it's a case of "a little knowledge is dangerous".
People are aware of swingweight, they therefore know that adjusting length can alter said swingweight.
However in reality, it makes absolutely zero difference.
As I said before, if people actually held the cut off piece of shaft in their hand they would realise that it weighs next to nothing.
The issue is not loss of weight, which is pretty negligible, it's the shortening of the lever arm that causes the problems!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've never seen someone take a full swing with a putter tbh so swingweight is completely irrelevant with a putter
It doesn't matter if you take a full swing or not, it's just a measure of how heavy the club feels to swing, whether it's a full swing with a driver, a short chip shot or a putt. There is an ideal range that has been developed over the years, say C5 - D6, and most people will find a club difficult to use if it is much outside that range. I have one counterbalanced cut down belly putter that is extremely heavy, which I find clumsy and difficult to use, and the cut down A0 Ping Anser putter that I described earlier in this thread which feels extremely light and twitchy.

Last edited:

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It doesn't matter if you take a full swing or not, it's just a measure of how heavy the club feels to swing,

Yes exactly.
And a putter cut down one inch will feel identical, bearing in mind how light the cut off piece of shaft is.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes exactly.
And a putter cut down one inch will feel identical, bearing in mind how light the cut off piece of shaft is.

My current putter is an Odyssey Works No7 cut down from 34 to 33" and fitted with a Super Stroke Slim 3.0 grip. I had to add several strips of Lead tape to make it 'feel' right and swing properly. I am only trying to give useful advice and I object to being slagged off by you!

Gisle Solhaug

Visit site
Hi Guys,
I see you are talking about Putters and Swingweight. These two words do not belong in the same sentence. Swingweight is an approximation to matching a set of clubs by MOI. This approximation only works if all the shafts and grips are identical. Putting is a pendulum motion. MOI is not relevant to a pendulum motion. The only properties that are relevant are the overall weight and centre of gravity of the putter. You may, for example, experiment by holding various sizes of weights in your hand while doing a putting stroke. You should find the size of weight for which the putter will move in harmony with your arms even when your grip is loose. When you have found the right weight you can install the right size of backweight. You may also experiment with adding weight to the putter head or anywhere along the shaft.Good Luck!