Shortening a club

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
isn't the advice to wear a dust mask if you're shortening a graphite shaft - and put some masking tape over where you're cutting?

not adviseable to breathe the particles of graphite in I believe...

Fraser1

Visit site
Related question.

I shortened my driver a while ago - very short, at 42.75. I saw an immediate improvement - going from “my god, that’s on the next fairway” to, “I can still see the ball”. I’m working on it, and in time it’ll become a reliable club. But it’s not my go to - that’s my hybrid. 200 yards, consistently hitting fairways.

Whilst that’s great, I’m leaving myself a lot to do into the green, often missing green side. Another 30 yards off the tee would would make a big difference - so it’s time to get comfortable with a 3 wood, which I never have been.

So, if my driver is 42.75, I was thinking of taking my 3 wood shaft to 41.75. I’ve figured it needs to be a shorter club for it to “feel” easier to swing and hit fairways.

Question is, do many on here play with a 5w shaft in a 3w, or anything as short as 41.75? Did it improve your consistency? I’m less fussed by losing the odd 5 yards - if I’m hitting 225-230 off the tee and hitting more fairways, my scores should hopefully drop.

I’d have the pro shop balance the swing weight out, so no issues there.

Last edited: