Short Game Swing - Confused!!

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
I've been reading Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible, and he advocates his "finesse" swing, with distance controlled by using the clock-face method.

I've been putting this in action for a few weeks now and I have to say my short-game has improved massively. With my laser-range finder I'm finding I can get the ball to fly pretty close to where I want it to land every time.

The problem is when the ball has landed... Pelz's finesse swing is very much a relaxed dead-hands swing with full-body-synchronisation - so there's no "power" as such, no coil on the backswing - everything is in sync. This is great when I have green to play with, but I see so many tour pros on TV pitching the ball up close to the pin and stopping the ball dead. Using Pelz's swing system, I find my ball rolls and rolls and more often than not, I end up way past the pin.

So my questions are:

1 - Is this generally the preferred way of pitching (or even distance wedges) - to get the ball land close to the pin and stop dead (I'm thinking I could control ball-flight distance better than roll distance using the clock-face method as a guide).

2 - To stop the ball dead do you still keep the same body-synchronised swing (putting the ball back in your stance and hitting with a steeper angle to pinch the ball off the turf), or is it better to use a more powerful swing (with coil, knee/hips initiating downswing, etc).

Making some swing changes, with a Pro V1 ball, and with a good lie I can usually stop the ball dead, but it feels like I'm having to swing through the ball with more pace and therefore need less of a backswing (which goes against everything Pelz advocates in his book). This means my clock-face system goes out of the window - or I need to learn 2 lots of clock-faces for my wedges, one for normal finesse swing and one for stopping the ball dead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not following the clock-face system religiously, but I am using it as a guide, and it works really well for getting me the feel of the length of backswing needed in my practice strokes.

Any advice or opinions welcome :)

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
I'm not 100% sure as I've not really played on loads of courses. We haven't had any rain down this neck of the woods for weeks now if that makes a difference.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bet the tour greens are nicely laid, very receptive to balls etc BUT are also well rolled and slick.

You can have a receptive fast green as much as you can have a hard slow one! It can come in any combination!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not only that, but the Tour stars a clipping the ball as pure as it comes. They'll get enough backspin even from a slow, smooth swing.
Sometimes you just need to get the ball on the green, the best you can do is leave it 20 feet away. Better that than duffing the first chip, having to do it again and still ending up 20 feet away.

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Thanks guys, that makes sense. So in terms of the actual swing - should I keep with the body-synchronised one that pelz advocates, and just adjust ball position and club-face angle?

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To be honest chipping is similar to putting where it's down to the individual and how you most feel comfortable to play the shot.

It's like when chipping, some pro's and coaches insist on you staying parallel to the target and some say to open up. It's completely down to you. Lots of books contradict eachother so find what you feel comfortable with and work on it to get your accuracy.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest chipping is similar to putting where it's down to the individual and how you most feel comfortable to play the shot.

It's like when chipping, some pro's and coaches insist on you staying parallel to the target and some say to open up. It's completely down to you. Lots of books contradict eachother so find what you feel comfortable with and work on it to get your accuracy.

I agree with LTP here.

I have tried both methods and find when I open my stance, I'm much more accurate (as I'm clearing my left side), not to mention comfortable through the swing.

Why not try both and see which gives you the best feeling and accuracy for your game!?!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I read an article by Darren Clarke (I think) recently about the new groove regs in wedges and he said that he prefers the new ones as the pro's prefer less spin. He said that the new wedges make the ball check on the 2nd bounce but then run out a little whearas the old ones "grabbed" on the 2nd bounce. He said that he preferred the ball to run out to the target as it was more controllable.