Shoes v insoles

Wine_O

Visit site
Hi all,

Just joined the forum, so apologies if this question (or similar) has been asked before.

I started playing golf 2 years ago, when I took early retirement. All the kit I bought at first was cheap stuff, and although my Stromberg shoes were comfortable, they made my feet overheat. Since then I've bought a pair of waterproof Skechers, which were also pretty warm and Nike mesh shoes for summer use. However, I'm struggling (with the latter in particular), as the soles of my feet feel utterly smashed after a round.

I'm now looking for either a shoe with great cushioning (for someone who appears to have arthritis developing everywhere), or insoles.

What do people think - are insoles the answer? Some seem incredibly expensive. What are you suggestions for both ?

Cheers in advance

PaulMdj

Visit site
You’ll find we are all different in terms of which shoes we prefer for fit comfort etc.

But as for insoles I use these, Scholl GelActiv™ Sport Insoles, I have them in my running and normal shoes as well, I run about 25-30 mike a week and find them great for cushioning.

I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis and also put them in my Golf shoes.

If you have a Savers near you, you can get them for £12.99, they are about £20 quid on Amazon.

Burnsey

Visit site
I think it’s trial and error.

Golf style has been ‘traditional’ (read old fashioned) for so long and the shoe styles have not been made for comfort - you wouldn't see other sports played in leather brogues.

I’ve been a Footjoy wearer for years and years, but my wife bought me a pair of J Lindeberg shoes for Christmas and my feet have never been happier. I’m just about to order another pair.

The thing is though, they make me about an inch taller, so have had to adjust my swing a tad.

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Just joined the forum, so apologies if this question (or similar) has been asked before.

I started playing golf 2 years ago, when I took early retirement. All the kit I bought at first was cheap stuff, and although my Stromberg shoes were comfortable, they made my feet overheat. Since then I've bought a pair of waterproof Skechers, which were also pretty warm and Nike mesh shoes for summer use. However, I'm struggling (with the latter in particular), as the soles of my feet feel utterly smashed after a round.

I'm now looking for either a shoe with great cushioning (for someone who appears to have arthritis developing everywhere), or insoles.

What do people think - are insoles the answer? Some seem incredibly expensive. What are you suggestions for both ?

Cheers in advance
New Balance shoes- great cushioning.

RichA

Visit site
Most trainers and golf shoes just have those 1/8 inch thick foam soles that provide some comfort but no real support.
I've been putting Grangers insoles in pretty much all my footwear for years and find them very supportive.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shoes are made differently by different OEMs so trial and error.
Footjoy have a great website where every last and toe box is explained in detail.
Have a look.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a look at G/Fore. They are pricey (similar to Ecco) but they are really comfy and have a ridged insole which means you get cool air pumped around your feet. I used to suffer from sore feet but had no issues since wearing these.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have suffered from plantar fasciitis and either have insoles in my golf shoes or use Skechers archfit golf shoes. Both seemed to have worked since early on in the year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I regularly replace the insoles on my shoes, it is amazing how quickly they harden.
I always look for shoes that have good arch support in the first instance.