Running shoes!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just had a fettle on Google. “Runners Need” in Newcastle do fittings, there’s a few other places on Google as well ?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I got fitted for a pair of Brooks once and they were like running in clogs. I only buy Nike now and they're perfect. The pricier ones around £150 though, not the bargain basement ones. Usually do 400+ miles per year and off the shelf has been fine for me.

Foam roller before running really helps my shins.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
You can get the pressures sorted by tying your laces differently. Not going across one where it feels too bad, ratter just go up and cross later. But runners need is a good shout, I get my shoes from them.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, I went to Runners Need in Newcastle over the weekend and they were excellent.
Fitted me with some Brooks Adrenaline stability shoes in a wide fitting and half a size up. They also said I’d benefit from crew socks as my normal ankle socks seemed to be nipping a bit.
Went out for a run last night, just a light 3k, still a small amount of pain in the front of my right ankle but nothing compared to what it was with the old shoes where I had to limp home after 1k. Got some stretches to do but I’ll be out again tonight in my new slippers ?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, I went to Runners Need in Newcastle over the weekend and they were excellent.
Fitted me with some Brooks Adrenaline stability shoes in a wide fitting and half a size up. They also said I’d benefit from crew socks as my normal ankle socks seemed to be nipping a bit.
Went out for a run last night, just a light 3k, still a small amount of pain in the front of my right ankle but nothing compared to what it was with the old shoes where I had to limp home after 1k. Got some stretches to do but I’ll be out again tonight in my new slippers ?

Awesome, new shoes are not magic though. Take it slowly and don't up your mileage or long run by more than 10% a week really

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Awesome, new shoes are not magic though. Take it slowly and don't up your mileage or long run by more than 10% a week really

Thanks, great advice ?
I’m currently doing some guided runs in the Nike Running Club app, keeping it slow and steady to build up my stamina. I may try some of their interval stuff next week.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks, great advice ?
I’m currently doing some guided runs in the Nike Running Club app, keeping it slow and steady to build up my stamina. I may try some of their interval stuff next week.
My wife was a big fan of Jeffing when she was doing TGNR and similar. The results are very surprising, or maybe not.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Couch to 5k is a brilliant thing. you can always skip to week 5 for example is you have some base endurance. (And I mean physical endurance ie knees, muscles, hips, as well as cardio fitness/endurance)

There is absolutely zero shame in walking for a bit.

D

Deleted member 18121

The exact shoe that I got fitted for and changed my running life... Nice choice ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Couch to 5k is a brilliant thing. you can always skip to week 5 for example is you have some base endurance. (And I mean physical endurance ie knees, muscles, hips, as well as cardio fitness/endurance)

There is absolutely zero shame in walking for a bit.

I did that last year, managed to do 5k by the end of week 3, then a 10k after 4 weeks ?
I should try it again but stick with the plan this time.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Interesting thread and shows me how little i know about getting a pair of trainers for running in. Have just bought off the shelf for whatever brand I like & price I could stomach
(I'd say my ceiling would be about 80 before I dry-heave, which I've just realised is the same max i'd pay for golf shoes)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread and shows me how little i know about getting a pair of trainers for running in. Have just bought off the shelf for whatever brand I like & price I could stomach
(I'd say my ceiling would be about 80 before I dry-heave, which I've just realised is the same max i'd pay for golf shoes)
My wife has been running for about 5 years now. When she started, doing a couple of miles or so, she bought off the shelf Nike running shoes, or equivalent. The more miles she did, the longer the run, the more she realised the need for a better quality of running shoe. In the basics she started to get little niggles with her feet, hips, shins. When she took a deep breath, got fitted, paid the extra, those niggles disappeared. The gist is, if you just do the odd run then it probably is not a big deal. If you start to run regularly, run further, then it is worth paying more to protect your feet and joints.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Running on pavement is decidedly bad for the body! Especially feet/ankles/shins.
Grass (park or golf course?) or sand (beach) are much more 'user-friendly'.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I certainly didn't get fitted, but in Jan last year I needed running shoes and ordered a pair of Brooks off a mate's recommendation (they were reduced to £55 too). They are superb, I genuinely beat my personal best 5k time the first time I wore them, haha. Brooks Revel 3 mine are. So comfortable. I haven't done any running for ages but I wear them for tennis and badminton still.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My wife has been running for about 5 years now. When she started, doing a couple of miles or so, she bought off the shelf Nike running shoes, or equivalent. The more miles she did, the longer the run, the more she realised the need for a better quality of running shoe. In the basics she started to get little niggles with her feet, hips, shins. When she took a deep breath, got fitted, paid the extra, those niggles disappeared. The gist is, if you just do the odd run then it probably is not a big deal. If you start to run regularly, run further, then it is worth paying more to protect your feet and joints.

I'd def say I'm a newbie at jogging/walking (and exercise in general) so I might have to think on this fitting lark a bit more

What would folks say is the tipping point in terms of frequency or distance where fitting yields significant benefits?
For exercise I do about 6km 5 times a week mixing either fast walking or jogging and mixing tarmac days with sand/beach days

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd def say I'm a newbie at jogging/walking (and exercise in general) so I might have to think on this fitting lark a bit more

What would folks say is the tipping point in terms of frequency or distance where fitting yields significant benefits?
For exercise I do about 6km 5 times a week mixing either fast walking or jogging and mixing tarmac days with sand/beach days
I'd say you have passed that tipping point with those distances frequency, very diligent :D. In terms of benefits, you are looking at protecting your body, joints etc more than improving times. Prevention better than cure.