Sherwood Forest

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I went and played Sherwood Forest yesterday with tee-girl and thought I'd write a quick review in case anyone else was thinking of going there.
What a course.
Heathland so not disimilar to The Hotchkin.
Those who hate water, relax, there's none, just 94 bunkers!!
The course was in great condition with lovely greens, although I was assured by the friendly assistant pro they were running a bit slow, they were around 11 on the stimp, so hardly a ploughed field :D
The finishing 4 or 5 holes are especially enjoyable finishing with the 18 which is a short inviting par 4 towards the traditional clubhouse.
Now the bad news.
Electric gates to get in and out of the car park.
Combination locks on all doors in and out
A daft rule which says you cant walk accross the front of the clubhouse
Signs everywhere telling you what you can and cant do.
Don't walk this way
Ring the bell
Dont ring the bell till 10th is clear.
Dont drive while so and so is busy. Dont take trolleys near the heather.
keep left
keep right
keep to the paths
Signs telling us how long it should take to reach a tee.
Keep up with the group in front
and so it went on........
Nothing about pitchmarks and divot replacement though :D
Just as you finish and enter the locker room (another combination door)one last sign awaits you.'All troleys must be folded up before entering these changing rooms.
As the course goes its a nice quiet peaceful walk. As long as you've done 22 years in the army and are used to taking orders, the rest gets a bit tedious.

DCB

Visit site
Bob,

Played there 8-9 years ago in a national final of some comp that was touted at one of the monthly medals. I enjoyed the course although at that time there were one or two strange GUR type rules in force about lifting and dropping if the ball was in the heather. Cetrainly thought the course was a good, fair, traditional course. The clubhouse had an excellent lounge on the first floor with great views out over the course.

I played it around this time of year and it was in good condition when we played there.

It's one I would play again if in the area.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Played it in the English County Boys Finals 15 plus years back and just loved the track,an honest golf course with no hidden parts and in August time it was in superb nick.A course I would love to re visit.