Shamima Begum - In or Out

D

Deleted member 15344

I totally disagree. If an illegal immigrant is favoured with British citizenship and then commits a crime that warrants a prison term then the Home Secretary should immediately remove that citizenship and deport the person back to their country of origin.

I agree - someone who has been awarded British Citizenship can have it removed for serious crime etc - they would still have citizenship from previous country etc

But the minefield is removing someone of the Birth right Citizenship leaving them stateless - unfortunately I think that’s where this whole thing is going to come apart - I think there is some human rights laws that state it can’t be done , and ultimately I think that’s the next step , human rights involved etc and Citizenship reinstated and her returning

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the time her British citizenship was revoked she was under 21. As a minor (in Bangladeshi law) born to Bangladeshi parents she is/was automatically a Bangladeshi citizen until she reached the age of 21 and chooses to confirm or refuse her Bangladeshi citizenship.

She wasn't stateless when her British citizenship was revoked, she was by birth right Bangladeshi. I can understand Bangladesh saying they don't want her but by Bangladeshi law she was Bangladeshi.

If this is the case then I cant see that we have a problem.
She has/had, in effect, dual citizenship and we stripped her of ours.
So, sorry Bangladesh but she's your problem not ours.
We haven't left her "Stateless".

Next....

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
No politician should have the power to remove British citizenship from an individual on any grounds.

The Supreme Court judgement is simply based on the U.K. having the right to refuse entry to anyone who is not a UK citizen - I guess that this is usually done on security grounds - and that is all that has been done.

Meanwhile we ‘accept’ the 15yr old running a new-nazi terror group from his grandmothers house. I wonder what the difference is...ah he just did it because he thought it was cool. That’s alright then..

https://www.cps.gov.uk/cps/news/youngest-british-terrorist-sentenced-neo-nazi-manuals-stash

Please show me where anyone has accepted this? He has been dealt with for his crimes by due process.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If this is the case then I cant see that we have a problem.
She has/had, in effect, dual citizenship and we stripped her of ours.
So, sorry Bangladesh but she's your problem not ours.
We haven't left her "Stateless".

Next....

Apparently the problem is that she has to claim her Bangladeshi citizenship; they've told her she isn't being granted it if she does claim it & that she will face the death penalty if she sets foot in Bangladesh because of their zero tolerance stance towards terrorism.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The way I see it we have 2 choices.

1) We bring her back to the UK, the blood sucking leeches like Cherie Blair get involved and bleed the country of 10's of millions of pounds in fees. She is tried, found guilty and spends years in jail which costs us even more money. When she is released she may have changed her views or she may have become even more radicalised and a bigger threat to UK security.

2) We use all the above money to home some of our homeless UK citizens and feed some of the kids that Marcus Rashford has been campaigning for.

Very simplistic view but option 2 for me all day.

greenone

Visit site
She had her citizenship revoked. She is also a Bangladeshi citizen as well from what I remember.
That is my point, you can't legally revoke somebody's citizenship unless they are a dual national. Her parents are but she isn't and the Bangladeshi government won't let her in.

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we bring her back, the country will shun and chastise her. She'll turn back to isis and potentially will do something horrific.

Leave her where she is. Part of me feels bad judging here on decisions she made when she was 15, she was obviously groomed , but , in the interest of setting presidents and national safety, leaving her where she is is the best solution.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If we bring her back, the country will shun and chastise her. She'll turn back to isis and potentially will do something horrific.

Leave her where she is. Part of me feels bad judging here on decisions she made when she was 15, she was obviously groomed , but , in the interest of setting presidents and national safety, leaving her where she is is the best solution.

i agree. It is a tough call and if she was not dual citizenship when we revoked it i think it could be a different answer as much as i despise her. I think if she had been totally and unashededly apologetic on the interviews, show how she was sucked in and now is totally against the values of ISIS, then she could have found some sympathy and maybe changed the course of events. Then we also have the other point that she left to join what she and other view as a state in ISIS, so her and many others are part of that at-the-moment failed state and that means she should be dealt with there. Either way, i don't want her back costing us tens of millions of pounds and dominating the airwaves.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Apparently the problem is that she has to claim her Bangladeshi citizenship; they've told her she isn't being granted it if she does claim it & that she will face the death penalty if she sets foot in Bangladesh because of their zero tolerance stance towards terrorism.

When this subject came up a year or so back I looked on the Bangladeshi govt website. As she was below the age of 21 she was automatically a Bangladeshi until she was/is of age to make the choice/claim. It is a birth right enshrined in Bangladeshi law. Bangladesh does allow dual nationality, which is what she held by default. When the UK revoked her UK citizenship the default was she was already a Bangladeshi national. The UK didn't make her stateless, Bangladesh did.

Bangladeshi Citizenship Act 1951. The relevant section is Jus Sanguinas. The short version means by blood right. If the parents are Bangladeshi, the child is, by default, Bangladeshi until the age of 21, irrespective of where they are born. On reaching 21 the person must confirm citizenship. Citizenship can only be revoked under 2 clauses. That the original citizenship was given to someone born outside the country who is not of Bangladeshi blood or that the person relinquishes it.

Begum had the right to contest Bangladesh's stance, if she wanted to, but as she is now 21 and didn't contest it, it could be argued she didn't want it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That is my point, you can't legally revoke somebody's citizenship unless they are a dual national. Her parents are but she isn't and the Bangladeshi government won't let her in.

She has Bangladeshi citizenship automatically through her parents and that is why we were able to revoke her British citizenship. The fact whether they let her in, or its unsafe for her, was not our problem once the Home Secretary stripped her of her dual citizenship. Let her spend Bangladesh money fighting to go there!