Shallowing club in the downswing - GC QUAD

evemccc

Visit site
My last lesson focused on this, and since I have really been trying hard to shallow in the downswing to prevent coming over the top. The pro had me on a QUAD and although the drill felt quite weird there was some progress both in centreness of strike, and in the data, in what the pro was looking to see.

I think he said my swing fault (OTT) was causing toe/heel strikes and the toe was digging in, leading to a slight but consistent push/ block right.
The clubs were too flat at impact and though a correct fitting of irons could help, I needed to bring the lie angle at impact much closer to zero first…..does this sound correct and have I understood it correctly?

What is the most important thing that GC QUAD measures in relation to this, and what is the specific thing to look for?
I think it was vertical impact and horizontal impact..

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you remember has far the toe was down?
You’ll be pushed to get irons much more than 3-4 degrees up.
I’m advise trying to correct the lie via swing changes. Especially if your still going through a session of lessons

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'm no expert so put this in the general forum chit chat bucket ? Like you I have been working on shallowing. I finally caught up with the local pro recently, and unlike you I was toe up more than optimum at impact. Although progress on path and AoA was generally positive.
You didn't mention the drill, obviously Bob (who is an expert ?, has shared one of the classics).

evemccc

Visit site
Can you remember has far the toe was down?
You’ll be pushed to get irons much more than 3-4 degrees up.
I’m advise trying to correct the lie via swing changes. Especially if your still going through a session of lessons

It started about 7 or 6
And ended at 2 or 3

Let’s hope I can repeat it consistently