Shaft comparison chart

Mjc1981

Visit site
So I've just started doing fittings using trackman, one of the areas I struggle with a bit is what all the different brands of shafts 'do'. I've seen a few comparison charts from the likes of titleist or TM but relatively old (2017).. But does anyone have a current one cover all current shafts?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So I've just started doing fittings using trackman, one of the areas I struggle with a bit is what all the different brands of shafts 'do'. I've seen a few comparison charts from the likes of titleist or TM but relatively old (2017).. But does anyone have a current one cover all current shafts?
FWIW, I believe a lot of the analysis of shafts is garbage. The chart above is definitely useful for finding the 'right type' of shaft, but any deep analysis is either a question of feel that can only be answered by the user, or from Trackman (in your case) numbers. As someone who has tried/used a huge number of FW, Driver and Hybrid shafts - and a sizeable number of iron ones too - I know what sort of shafts I like best and get on with best. Those may not actually concur.
So my advice would be to stock a number of shafts styles in each of the areas in the chart above, decide which category the customer needs and let him (or her) decide which feels best to them and has the best Trackman numbers - particularly Dispersion, Distance and Spin (assuming Driver ones). For FWs and Hybrids, Launch Angle might be a consideration too.
Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
FWIW, I believe a lot of the analysis of shafts is garbage. The chart above is definitely useful for finding the 'right type' of shaft, but any deep analysis is either a question of feel that can only be answered by the user, or from Trackman (in your case) numbers. As someone who has tried/used a huge number of FW, Driver and Hybrid shafts - and a sizeable number of iron ones too - I know what sort of shafts I like best and get on with best. Those may not actually concur.
So my advice would be to stock a number of shafts styles in each of the areas in the chart above, decide which category the customer needs and let him (or her) decide which feels best to them and has the best Trackman numbers - particularly Dispersion, Distance and Spin (assuming Driver ones). For FWs and Hybrids, Launch Angle might be a consideration too.
Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

The chart is simplified. Shafts have more complicated engineering that one spin and launch characteristic. The Miyazaki coding system broke shafts down into 4 zones and gave more nuance.

Feel is sometimes related to butt flex. A shaft with a moderately flexible butt section (write your own jokes) will often have more feel than one with a very stiff butt.

Weight is also an important, perhaps more important, characteristic of shafts.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The chart is simplified. Shafts have more complicated engineering that one spin and launch characteristic. The Miyazaki coding system broke shafts down into 4 zones and gave more nuance.

Feel is sometimes related to butt flex. A shaft with a moderately flexible butt section (write your own jokes) will often have more feel than one with a very stiff butt.

Weight is also an important, perhaps more important, characteristic of shafts.
I'm happy to stick with the single launch/spin categorisation - at least as a starting point. From fairly ancient memory, the Miyzaki system (simply) measures relative flex at 4 different points - so allows shafts from different manufacturers to be equated/compared or selected. It still comes down to desired flight and spin that's the initial selection. The Miyazkaki numbers merely allow nuances to be identified/selected simpler.
I agree about the weight being crucial. 'My bad' :rolleyes:not mentioning it in the first place.