Seve moments

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
You and me both. I proceed to play the "I see shot Billy" and invariably pick up for no points in a stableford or reload in medal. Doesn't stop me trying lol - He who dares
One of my golfing mantras that I often have to remind myself about is this:
"What would Seve do? Don't".

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Its a funny old world.

Having said previously that i could vaguely recall Seve's famous shot from the tree's in switzerland, I've just processed paperwork for for 20tonnes of turf for the course!

It's a lot cheaper than what we pay per m2 for a garden to be relayed!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to my first ever golf tournament at Forest of Arden in 2000 and before heading out to the course had wandered out to the range and realised I was standing behind him . He was chatting away and had the ball on a string , calling the shots he was hitting with ease.
Watched him he tee shot of the first and a big hook left into the rubbish , felt very sad for him .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went to my first ever golf tournament at Forest of Arden in 2000 and before heading out to the course had wandered out to the range and realised I was standing behind him . He was chatting away and had the ball on a string , calling the shots he was hitting with ease.
Watched him he tee shot of the first and a big hook left into the rubbish , felt very sad for him .
To be fair though his back was shot then and he was spent as a competitive golfer. In my opinion he went on a good couple of seasons too long but I guess found it so hard to walk away from it all and in his mind at least thought he could still do it even if the body disagreed

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was at the Open at Royal Lytham in 1996, sat behind the 13th green.
Gentle dogleg, considered a fairly easy hole.
We were waiting for Seve's group to come through, didn't have a programme so wasn't sure when it was going to be.
Suddenly heard a shout, and their was a lot of hubbub coming from the stand to the left of the fairway.
A ball had hit it.
"Here he comes" we thought to ourselves.
:p:p:p

sunshine

Visit site
2000 Open at St Andrews. I was standing right next to Seve on the 18th tee, he pulled out the driver and proceeded to snap hook it out of bounds. That's quite a feat!

sunshine

Visit site
I genuinely can't recall a shot of his.
I mean I've seen him hit it from the trees and where it ended near the bunker (Switzerland?) but the cameras never really catch the flight at all.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that shot was captured on tv.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I don't think that shot was captured on tv.
Nah it wasn’t. Not fully. from what I searched the view is of him in the trees. Then it landing. \
been recreated many times. Think i first saw it on YouTube when a golfer tried to recreate it.

D

Deleted member 3432

I believe Jack Nicklaus rates Seve's 3 wood out of the bunker in the 83 Ryder Cup as the best shot he has seen.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
That's incredible!
I did a bit of searching and it must have been the 1st round as he scored a 6 for an opening 78.

But what's incredible is normally those OOB's on the 1st or 18th get highlighted forever after, I'm not sure that one has been. He was 63 then so hopefully they were going easy on him.
I know he was 19 in 1976 when he came second to Miller, so was 43 ?

sunshine

Visit site
That's incredible!
I did a bit of searching and it must have been the 1st round as he scored a 6 for an opening 78.

But what's incredible is normally those OOB's on the 1st or 18th get highlighted forever after, I'm not sure that one has been. He was 63 then so hopefully they were going easy on him.

Yes it was on the Thursday. There was so much affection and sympathy for him, nobody was going to give him a hard time, BBC probably deleted the footage immediately!

Visit site
76’ I was 11 and went with Dad, Grandad & uncle to Gleneagles for the Double Diamond team tournament ‘i think’. 4 great sun drenched days, we sat by the 15th green watching them play in, then walk over to 16th par 3 tee and watch the tee shots.
As I walked over to the 16th I felt an arm on my shoulders, as I looked up this man with dark hair and skin with a funny accent asked,
‘Are you having a good time’
Yes was my reply.
‘Do you have a favourite player’
I said No,
‘Ah, good you keep it that way’

He went to the tee, played his shot and walked away to become one of the most charismatic players of all time.