Separate SI's based on format?

Grizzly

Visit site
Having read the thread about the shortest SI one holes and particularly the suggestion that some SI's are done to give stronger players a fair crack in matchplay comps, I'm curious as to why courses don't just have two SI allocations - one for medals which reflects the places players most need their shots, and one for Matchplay that account for the above as well as spreading the shot holes out fairly?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As said on that and other similar threads we did it originally and the biggest problem we found was players using the wrong card.
If both SIs were on one card I would see it as less of a problem.

The real problem is players in a match using the SIs for stableford.

Given that we are now in the 'computer age' not a real problem for Stableford comps as players are only responsible for gross scores on a card. Any mistake in points would be corrected by the software. Mind you it is still taking an age to get this point across to loads of players who still insist on worrying more about their points on a card than their gross on a hole.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I need to know the SI in matchplay and for the team-strategy in betterballs and AMAMs, but in individual stableford I don't give a monkey's about which holes I "get my shots".

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We just have male and female stroke indexes on our cards and it causes constant confusion. (Mainly due to print layout not sexism to be clear! )

I think adding format to that as well would cause a cataclysm!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Having read the thread about the shortest SI one holes and particularly the suggestion that some SI's are done to give stronger players a fair crack in matchplay comps, I'm curious as to why courses don't just have two SI allocations - one for medals which reflects the places players most need their shots, and one for Matchplay that account for the above as well as spreading the shot holes out fairly?

I'm sure I've seen courses that have exactly this, but I can't remember where!!😁😁

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Appendix E in the WHS Manual gives a recommendation for a system that supports both match and stroke play.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We just have male and female stroke indexes on our cards and it causes constant confusion. (Mainly due to print layout not sexism to be clear! )

I think adding format to that as well would cause a cataclysm!

I have suggested we have a a card for males and a card for females to make more space on the card to make it more obvious, we too have different SIs for ladies.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played a course that did have two different S.I.'s - Shendish Manor. To be honest it just made the scorecard a little confusing and I'd rather a course just sticks with one. Overall I try and remember that it doesn't matter as much as you think in Stablefords - lose a shot somewhere, but gain it somewhere else. In match play the position of them is more important.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played a course that did have two different S.I.'s - Shendish Manor. To be honest it just made the scorecard a little confusing and I'd rather a course just sticks with one. Overall I try and remember that it doesn't matter as much as you think in Stablefords - lose a shot somewhere, but gain it somewhere else. In match play the position of them is more important.
Found a picture of the card as we played there early this year. Personally I think it's a bit strange as you've got differences of 6 to 16 for example, so in normal play I'm not even getting a shot there but in a match against a good player I potentially would. 🤔

IMG-20230518-WA0004.jpg

RichA

Visit site
But then you might need different stroke indexes again for fourball better ball matchplay, where the "fairness" gets skewed depending on team make up.
Can't think of a way to make it perfect for every scenario. Good job handicap golf is just a game.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you want complicated try playing at Cumberwell Park near Bath. They have 4 nine hole courses that can be played together in any combination to make a full 18. The SI on some of the 9s is different depending on which other 9 you play 😀

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Found a picture of the card as we played there early this year. Personally I think it's a bit strange as you've got differences of 6 to 16 for example, so in normal play I'm not even getting a shot there but in a match against a good player I potentially would. 🤔

View attachment 50484

That is not a card with difference SIs for Match and Stableford. It is the difference SIs for 18 hole rounds and 9 hole rounds.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pop your glasses on and look closer. 😄

The SIs for men are in blue for an 18 hole round and black for a 9 hole round (holes 1-9). I can now see after squinting that the red is for match play I thought it said ladies from the F above it (we have different SIs for our ladies).

However with a card in your hand rather than out of focus photo I think it is very plain to read.

The simplest advice is scrub out the SIs for the format you are not playing before you start.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe different SIs were mandatory in Australia some years ago. England Golf (or the EGU) was pushing the idea for a few years. I think Strensall (York) adopted them.