Courses with Tees that have different SI's.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cumberwell Park, just outside Bath has an interesting card. 4 nine holers which can be played in any combination. This means the SI for a particular 9holes can change depending on which other course you combine it with. Can get quite confusing!

memememe

Visit site
Cumberwell Park, just outside Bath has an interesting card. 4 nine holers which can be played in any combination. This means the SI for a particular 9holes can change depending on which other course you combine it with. Can get quite confusing!
Thanks for reminding me of that. Did a very informal society thing there with very occasional golfers once. I gave up trying to make sense what they'd done with the cards and just allocated the prizes as I thought best. Most had had plenty to drink by then so I think I got away with it!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's actually simple as long as it's explained OK...
You play two 9s and each 9 has holes allocated SI 1-9.
If that is the case, it is pre-determined that one 9 is the higher ranked and its SI's are the odd numbers 1-17, therefore the other 9's SI's become 2-18.
Yes Moor Allerton GC use the same method with their 3 nines...... but still an issue for 'occasional golfers'

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know if WHS recommends only one set of SIs rather than SI's for different tees....... that is, other than, the lady's rated tees.?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's actually simple as long as it's explained OK...
You play two 9s and each 9 has holes allocated SI 1-9.
If that is the case, it is pre-determined that one 9 is the higher ranked and its SI's are the odd numbers 1-17, therefore the other 9's SI's become 2-18.
1612183996446.png1612183996446.pngnot that simple at Cumberwell!?
As the picture shows, this 9 can be odd or even depending on which other 9 you play

Swango1980

Visit site
It's a nice clear card, thanks.
Interesting that the men have followed the convention of odd numbers on the longest 9 whereas the ladies have mixed them all up...... any reason that you know of?
I see your Par 3 16th presents the same problem as we have... yours 40yds longer off whites... ours @ 232yds is 50 yds longer than yellows.
The red and yellow Indexes were set when the course first came into existence about 20 years ago or so. Not sure the logic behind the Red Indices, although the yellow indices followed the guidance at the time. The whites and yellows were the same from that time.

About 5 years ago, the white tee positions were changed significantly on some holes (4th, 6th, 12th and 15th) which made a massive difference on those holes. At that point the Committee decided to change the SI values for the whites. For example, originally the 13th was the hardest hole on the back 9 (SI 2). However, once the tees on 12th and 15th were changes, it required a drive to clear a dyke of over 200 yards, and still a long iron in. This effectively made these holes par 5's for over 90% of members, and much harder than the 13th. To be honest worked very well, and the SI values correspond nicely to the hardest and easiest holes after normal stroke play competitions generally.

memememe

Visit site
I don't see how it could be easier really.
One 9 is already pre determined as the odds, whichever the combo is, and those combos are laid out on the card.

It does take a few seconds reading the card though which would obviously trip up a fair few golfers ?

Oh yes, it's not difficult at all. Unfortunately with my informal society, expecting them to do this on top of arriving at the right golf course, on the right day, with the required kit was a step too far for most.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I knew it would be well received but am still surprised just how much.
"The best change we've ever made", is what we are hearing from our members now we've reassessed the SI's with separate for White Yellow & Red & have a new card that will see us through until we get all tees assessed & probs will need separate male & female cards.
It's not that it should make that much difference in Stableford as it's main influence should be in Match-play but already folk are commenting how much the SI's now reflect their expectations, so I guess it's more a psychological effect. The Match-play effect we are yet to see.
It's certainly working out quite equitably on our first few mixed tee events.
It's also lead to a far better solution to our 2's as a couple of the par 3's had 40yd differences between Yellow & White. Rather than sharing the Pot we now pay £12 for each 2 irregardless of the numbers in the Comp.