Second hand clubs

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The old saying is, they are worth what someone will pay for them but it seems they are worth next to nothing I guess.

A 2 or 3 year old top make driver that was £350 new can't sell for £100 and £90 wedges new can't sell for £30 second hand, or do folk just want something for nothing ?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping retain value well, so do Mizuno.

Some brands don’t.

My irons are second hand, £200 back in 2010 but still going strong!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The old saying is, they are worth what someone will pay for them but it seems they are worth next to nothing I guess.

A 2 or 3 year old top make driver that was £350 new can't sell for £100 and £90 wedges new can't sell for £30 second hand, or do folk just want something for nothing ?

More people chopping and changing and more released from Manufactures each year.

My irons are 4 years old now and still life in them, but a few mates of mine are onto their 3rd or 4th set in that time all adds up i suppose.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It depends on the brand .

Well not Dunlop or Slazenger but I'd have thought the likes of Titleist and Cleveland still have some sway in the market but honestly, I wouldn't touch a club that was less that £30 second hand, so what do people expect ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trouble with £400 drivers is that it is often possible to pick up the 2 year old model brand new for £100 and the irons that were once £600 around the £230 mark.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Titliest 915D2 can be had new for £179. Vokey SM5 new for £69. And any number of new iron sets starting from just over £200. Top of the range irons, last years model, Mizzie MP15's for £399. Titliest AP1's £599.

People like new, and fall for the marketing hype that says straighter, further, higher. If they are seduced by the hype, why would they spend a fortune on something that doesn't go straighter, further, higher?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Just seen an American Golf add, offering double market value trad in for 2nd hand clubs.
BTW are you selling them because Patrick wupped you :rofl:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, I wouldn't pay more than £100 for a 3 yr old driver. It doesn't matter what it cost new, the fact is it is 3yrs old now. That could be a lot of rounds and also a lot of new models inbetween.

The second hand market is good for buyers, lots of products turning over, and that suppresses the prices.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
To be fair, I wouldn't pay more than £100 for a 3 yr old driver. It doesn't matter what it cost new, the fact is it is 3yrs old now. That could be a lot of rounds and also a lot of new models inbetween.

The second hand market is good for buyers, lots of products turning over, and that suppresses the prices.

Good points well made :thup:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
with too much new stock coming through there will always be a surplus of used stock which then falls into a buyers market. AS much as we don’t like like to hear it the bragging rights of the newest Carlos fandango driver being in your bag come at the cost the biggest depreciation rates.

If buying new I’d always buy one model old, same as buying a new car we always look for a dealer owned pre reg. my misses current car in the spec we have was £19k, we looked online and the same dealer had the same spec pre reg registered in Feb on a 65 instead of the March on what would have been a 16. We got the car for £13k

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I have only ever bought a putter brand new. I struggle to justify spending double or even triple on brand new when you can get a second hand club that does the same job and if it has been looked after can be just as good as new !
Although i do still get tempted by the latest and greatest shiny things !

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have never quite understood anyone being annoyed about somethings value. It is what it is and with the likes of Ebay being around the value is easy to discern and it is dictated by market forces. It is worth what it is worth for a wide range of reasons.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

So why pay more than £100 for a brand spanking new Driver - that really only 'promises' a tiny amount of extra distance or better dispersion!

New Drivers are SO overpriced! But aspirational golfers are basically idiots who will grab whatever adverts suggest!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely bargains to be had. I got a set of Ping I series irons, still retailing for well over £500 new but I payed significantly less for a second hand set via Golfbidder that looked as though they had hardly been hit. Not a mark on them and once in the bag you couldn't tell they weren't straight out the wrapper. There is nothing like buying new, whether you go down the custom fit option or off the shelf, but if you are on a budget you can still get recent releases at a good price

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I purchased an epic 5w this week for £120 second hand from a retailer that still sells them new at £249. This club had one strike mark on the face but looked better than my one year old epic driver does !!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think most clubs are way over priced when new (those tour pros certainly get their wedge)

So you're starting from a false valuation when considering sell on value. Better to compare to the retail value after its at least halfway through its shelf life as a maximum figure of what it was worth